what would you have done?

cthrn27

I am not stressing the fire risk angle.  But I don’t like the smell of second hand smoke so I would report it.

I am all for live and let live. If someone sneaks booze on, I don’t care.  If someone violates the dress code, I don’t care.  But if I can smell your smoke, I care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

And when it was legal they probably had ash trays and a proper way to dispose of them. What are they doing now? Throwing them off of the balcony? Flushing them down the toilet? Are they bringing ash trays? I think it's less safe when you have to hide it.

I've had a friend and a family member killed on motorcycles. 

And when the Star Princess fire happened, it was legal to smoke so I assume they had ash trays. It did not stop the smoker from throwing the cigarette butt out over the balcony. Unfortunately I'm sure we have all seen cigarette butts all over the place. Too many smokers treat the world as their ash tray. And seeing all the filters lying there, I'm sure they are not biodegradable.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

"most likely" doesn't mean "the" cause, not in my book. In any event the cruise industry allowed smoking on balconies for many years after that until passenger pressure caused them to make the change.

I thought Princess at least did not take too long to ban cigarette smoking on balconies. I could be wrong. Do you recall how long it took?

It seems to me that Holland America took a lot longer than the other lines to ban smoking on balconies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BND said:

There's nothing wrong with condemnation of the "product". You don't need to be so PC. It's illegal onboard ship and smoking of any kind is specifically banned in cabins.  I would call and report it.  Steward not likely to get into trouble, but really, they are supposed to report smoking of any kind.

Its not "PC" to be educated about the ridiculousness of marijuana prohibition

1 minute ago, hotsauce126 said:

I don’t smoke either marijuana nor tobacco. I support the legalization of marijuana but the prohibition of both in any location that will subject others to second hand smoke.  That includes balconies, any place indoors (other than private residence) any public crowded area etc.

I am okay with you smoking pot in the smoking area.  But only there.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And when the Star Princess fire happened, it was legal to smoke so I assume they had ash trays. It did not stop the smoker from throwing the cigarette butt out over the balcony. Unfortunately I'm sure we have all seen cigarette butts all over the place. Too many smokers treat the world as their ash tray. And seeing all the filters lying there, I'm sure they are not biodegradable.

Oh yeah. Just because they have a proper place of disposal doesn't mean they'll use it. At work near our smoking area there's an underground deal. I don't know what it is...a sewer maybe. It's a big grill looking thing on the concrete. We have people that throw their cigarettes down there. It drives me crazy.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Oh yeah. Just because they have a proper place of disposal doesn't mean they'll use it. At work near our smoking area there's a underground deal. I don't know what it is...a sewer maybe. It's a big grill looking thing on the concrete. We have people that throw their cigarettes down there. It drives me crazy.

And you also see so many cigarette butts along the side of the road as that's where the ash tray contents get dumped.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And you also see so many cigarette butts along the side of the road as that's where the ash tray contents get dumped.

The people at work used to throw them on the ground by the building. They got moved 30 feet away from the building and now they throw them in the sewer. We have those big ash trays out there. I don't know why it's so hard. I'm not throwing my trash in the sewer.

Edited by Saint Greg

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would report it if I smelled it inside my own cabin or spent a lot of time on my balcony and the smell was so bad that I couldn't enjoy my own balcony.  Otherwise, I would not say anything.  I am not sure why people can't use those e cigarettes or edible food with their desired ingredients so that it wouldn't interfere with someone else's vacation.  Not everyone enjoys smelling smoke and shouldn't have to experience it outside of a designated smoking area.  It's inconsiderate and a safety hazard.

We have cruised when smoking was allowed on the balconies.  We had neighbors that would smoke cigarettes and we would come in and then return when they were finished. The same when they were smoking other substances.

10 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

If was cigarettes, I would tattle.

If it was pot, I would ask them to share.

Basically my former neighbors philosophy.  Three weeks after I moved in I got invited to a party by the apartment directly below ours.  I thought that was very friendly of them as I only met them once very briefly, but declined because I was going out.  When I got home after midnight I could hear the party still going on, so we went and met plenty of new people.  One of told me they always invite all their neighbors on the philosophy that nobody calls the police or landlord to complain about how loud a party is if they are at the party. And they are right had they not invited us we would have complained to the landlord about the noise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We have cruised when smoking was allowed on the balconies.  We had neighbors that would smoke cigarettes and we would come in and then return when they were finished. The same when they were smoking other substances.

I am glad the days I had to avoid smokers are over.  They can go up to the smoking area.

8 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

But now that's it's not allowed, no one should have to make adjustments like that for something that blatantly goes against one of the most strictly enforced rules. In this situation, the ole standby, "It's my vacation, I'll do what I want," doesn't apply here. The cruise fare that we all pay doesn't guarantee smokers be allowed to smoke in their cabin or on their balcony. However, it does guarantee that those who don't want to smell it don't have to.

• Like 4

Here is a little tip for you current or future cruising weed smokers....As you can see from this thread there are a LOT of snitches that cruise.....do yourself a favor and search smoke buddy or DIY smoke buddy, that way you can do your thing where ever the confined space may be and no one would be the wiser.

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

You keep thinking that.  There's more and more evidence that doesn't support the belief held by some that it's harmless.  But, that was not my point. I was pointing out that the OP didn't need to tiptoe around the subject.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

But now that's it's not allowed, no one should have to make adjustments like that for something that blatantly goes against one of the most strictly enforced rules. In this situation, the ole standby, "It's my vacation, I'll do what I want," doesn't apply here. The cruise fare that we all pay doesn't guarantee smokers be allowed to smoke in their cabin or on their balcony. However, it does guarantee that those who don't want to smell it don't have to.

Now that the rules have changed, agreed.

Edited by Butterbean1000

22 hours ago, cthrn27 said:

Say, hypothetically, on your cruise there is a particular cabin that is enjoying a product that requires matches or a lighter to be enjoyed.  They are in their own cabin, but the smell is unusually foul and wafts not only into the hallway, but into the other rooms..  An offhand question to the steward makes you think the steward is aware of this, and  you assume something will be done.  Unfortunately, nothing is done.  This is not a condemnation of the product, but a concern that any type of fire on a boat is a potential hazard.  This continues.  Do you say something?  to guest services?  would this get the steward in trouble?  would the people be kicked off?

Take a deep deep deep breath.... repeat... repeat... repeat.. enjoy.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I thought Princess at least did not take too long to ban cigarette smoking on balconies. I could be wrong. Do you recall how long it took?

It seems to me that Holland America took a lot longer than the other lines to ban smoking on balconies.

I don't know which line was the first but it was several years after the fire in question.

OP here.  We were (hypothetically, of course) on a lower deck with an Ocean View.  The smokers were in an inside cabin directly across the hall.  Nothing to open.  And, the smell was very like a skunk.  That was how I pointed it out to the cabin steward, but he quickly informed me that he thought it was marijuana and told me where it was coming from.  Had we had a balcony, and if I could have opened the door, there would have been an option.  Why don't they let you open the windows???  the water isn't that high......

15 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

For me, i love the smell of a good marijuana cigarette, and if it doesn't really bother you then i would just let it go. But if it bothers you, i guess you have to do what you have to do. I love how so many on here are so concerned about a fire, but smoking (anything) never caused a fire onboard a ship.

I can see this turning into a "lecture" thread. I believe some people responses about thier health is just a "feel good" response. imo    Me and the wife would just let it go, but some won't, so it just depends on how much it truly bothers you.

Yeah. Because second hand smoke, lung cancer, asthma, allergies and other respiratory problems aren't real. 🙄 Give me a break. 

Cigarette smoke makes me physically ill. I literally can not breathe when it is nearby. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Princess put in place their new smoking policy/balcony ban January 2012. Six years after the Star Princess fire. 

Holland America January 2017.

🔥

• Like 1

5 hours ago, midcarolina said:

Here is a little tip for you current or future cruising weed smokers....As you can see from this thread there are a LOT of snitches that cruise.....do yourself a favor and search smoke buddy or DIY smoke buddy, that way you can do your thing where ever the confined space may be and no one would be the wiser.

Right on, snitches get stitches. 🙄 Isn't the smoke buddy the smokeless ashtray the dad invented in the movie, Gremlins? Or was that before your time?

Edited by Organized Chaos

On 7/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, coevan said:

For many, many years smoking was allowed on the balcony, millions of cruisers, a ship has never burned down over a cigarette. Gheez I rode a bike for 30 years before helmets were widely used, fortunately my head is still intact. I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy. 

Pretty funny lol.  Aren't you the guy that posted before that you used to point out people under dressed in the MDR to the Maitre'd?

• Like 1