what would you have done?

cthrn27

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, coevan said:

marijuana smell doesn't linger more than a few hours, nothing like cigarette smoke which permeates everything, the next guess will not have clue

I must disagree, We live in Northern California just south of the infamous emerald triangle. The smell lingers everywhere for much longer than three hours. I understand your statement, but as someone who has to smell the effects, just about everywhere. I find it offensive, be it at the lumber yard, grocery store or simply along Hwy 101 in the fall. I don't mean to sound snarky, it has just gotten to the point out here that it is everywhere and many find it offensive. We have smelled it on ships, but did not call as we weren't sure where it originated. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEUB1112 said:

I must disagree, We live in Northern California just south of the infamous emerald triangle. The smell lingers everywhere for much longer than three hours. I understand your statement, but as someone who has to smell the effects, just about everywhere. I find it offensive, be it at the lumber yard, grocery store or simply along Hwy 101 in the fall. I don't mean to sound snarky, it has just gotten to the point out here that it is everywhere and many find it offensive. We have smelled it on ships, but did not call as we weren't sure where it originated. Have a nice day.

In a hotel room, car, bedroom or anywhere else the smell is usually gone in an hour or two after a joint is smoked.

If you live where it is grown and used heavily there are probably too many people doing it to let it go away.

Cigarette smoke sticks around for a few days.

1 hour ago, robc1972 said:

Cigarette smoke sticks around for a few days.

more like months, we were shopping cars and could eliminate smokers cars immediately, even the dealer said the smell is almost impossible to get rid of. 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, coevan said:

For many, many years smoking was allowed on the balcony, millions of cruisers, a ship has never burned down over a cigarette. Gheez I rode a bike for 30 years before helmets were widely used, fortunately my head is still intact. I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy. 

Who would have thought 50 years ago that kids would eat Tide Pods or lick toilet seats?

I would drop a dime in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I would only report it if I could smell it in my room, and it was bothering us, same like any other offensive odor.  If the neighbors were smoking something on their balcony, the wind would take the smell away quick enough... for us anyway so I wouldn’t say anything. 

On 7/23/2019 at 9:57 PM, Doggielover68 said:

Cabin stewards don't really have the power to do anything, or they just won't confront the guest because they don't want to upset them/lose tips. Guest services is the right way to report this. I've had to do it before when my balcony neighbor was smoking. I can't and won't tolerate drug/cigar/cigarette smell in my personal space that I've paid for. It's damaging to my health.

I cheated, knowingly, very quickly taking a few drags. Steward told me no smoking! Didn't again...

On 7/23/2019 at 8:56 PM, cthrn27 said:

Say, hypothetically, on your cruise there is a particular cabin that is enjoying a product that requires matches or a lighter to be enjoyed.  They are in their own cabin, but the smell is unusually foul and wafts not only into the hallway, but into the other rooms..  An offhand question to the steward makes you think the steward is aware of this, and  you assume something will be done.  Unfortunately, nothing is done.  This is not a condemnation of the product, but a concern that any type of fire on a boat is a potential hazard.  This continues.  Do you say something?  to guest services?  would this get the steward in trouble?  would the people be kicked off?

The rules against smoking  and the use of anything flammable is for the safety of all aboard. So yes I would say something regardless of who it may effect.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, coevan said:

For many, many years smoking was allowed on the balcony, millions of cruisers, a ship has never burned down over a cigarette. Gheez I rode a bike for 30 years before helmets were widely used, fortunately my head is still intact. I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy. 

I agree with your attitude as long as it doesn't affect anyone else's safety.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:56 PM, cthrn27 said:

Say, hypothetically, on your cruise there is a particular cabin that is enjoying a product that requires matches or a lighter to be enjoyed.  They are in their own cabin, but the smell is unusually foul and wafts not only into the hallway, but into the other rooms..  An offhand question to the steward makes you think the steward is aware of this, and  you assume something will be done.  Unfortunately, nothing is done.  This is not a condemnation of the product, but a concern that any type of fire on a boat is a potential hazard.  This continues.  Do you say something?  to guest services?  would this get the steward in trouble?  would the people be kicked off?

Since not only is it bothering you, but its against the rules, yes you call guest services, ask for the person's name you're talking to so they know you're serious, and gotta think within minutes it'll end!-))

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:30 AM, FSHLOT said:

Sucks to be you then. Thats not my problem. Sorry to sound so harsh, but life goes on. 

My suggestion to you is, STAY HOME, if cigarette smoke makes you sick. 

Its the problem of anyone who smokes outside the areas that allow smoking!

On land, I'm perfectly fine with other folks smoking "the product," but I'd report it to guest services like a shot on a ship. And I would continue to report it and complain if the problem continued.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Huh? burning something did, my friend.😎

From smoking a cigarette?  Hmmmm

This has been debated on here before, and there is no proof.Theres a couple  of " theories" floating around though.

38 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

From smoking a cigarette?  Hmmmm

This has been debated on here before, and there is no proof.Theres a couple  of " theories" floating around though.

All the governmental agencies that investigated the Princess Star concluded that the fire on the Princess Star was probably started with a cigarette.  As with many  fire investigation it is not always possible to obtain the original ignition as it gets destroyed in the fire.  Given the location that the fire began there is virtually no other possible explanation.  

But  doesn’t really matter.  If I smell your smoke, you are getting reported.  If you can’t handle not smoking— stay home.

• Like 1

I would not report it. If it bothered you, you could have confronted the smokers themselves, at least give them a warning. My son has a very rare form of excruciatingly painful seizures[ the head neurologist at Chiildrens Hospital said they are the most excruciating pain humanly possible] After spending over half a million trying to help him, we discovered mmj. lJ was the second minor in the state of Colorado to get the mmj card. That was many years ago. MMJ is STILL the only thing that helps him.

Now, of course, my son has been an adult for many years and still uses MMJ. We went back and forth about whether or not to go on this cruise and if we should try to smuggle some on. We never did because we are an Autistic family and weird about following rules. And there were always plenty of people [the kindness of strangers] who heard his almost inhuman screams of pain and rushed in to help. We will not be bringing it on this cruise either, and just hope that there are still others who can help out. If not, he has plenty of meds to knock him out until we can find a way to get home.

Even if mmj were not the reason my son is still alive, I would not try to get someone kicked off of a cruise and possibly arrested for it. but then again, I have never called the cops on a barking dog, yelled at kids to "get off my lawn" or any of that nasty "normal" stuff.

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

All the governmental agencies that investigated the Princess Star concluded that the fire on the Princess Star was probably started with a cigarette.  As with many  fire investigation it is not always possible to obtain the original ignition as it gets destroyed in the fire.  Given the location that the fire began there is virtually no other possible explanation.  

But  doesn’t really matter.  If I smell your smoke, you are getting reported.  If you can’t handle not smoking— stay home.

Ok, thanks!  

Re: advice to ask the smoker to stop rather than report it.

Absolutely not!

It extremely rarely works.  The smoker already knows the rules, know that second hand smoke bothers others and has decided that he/she doesn’t care.  

So eventually you will need to go to guest services dealing with the smoker just delays the process and lets the smoker know who reported.  Which increases the chances of a uncomfortable confrontation later. As one smoker in this thread commented “snitches get stitches”   Absolutely no need to self identify yourself as the one who reported.

• Like 2

We just got back from the Breeze on Saturday. After a day in San Juan, I went out to read on our balcony. Within a few minutes, I got a nose-full of cigar smoke. I looked around and saw a guy standing two cabins forward from us with a cigar in his hand. I gave it a few minutes, hoping he would stop, but he didn't and it was so strong that I started coughing since all of the smoke was blowing in the direction of our balcony. I called down to Guest Services and they said they would send someone up. A few minutes later I heard him talking to someone about it and the smoking stopped. 

After coming back from dinner that night, there was a letter on our bed from Guest Services telling us that Security had discussed the issue with the passenger and to let GS know if the smoking occurred again. We didn't smell anything for the rest of the cruise, so the "discussion" must have worked.

I'm all for everyone enjoying their vacation, but when someone is breaking a rule that prevents me from being able to use something I paid for, then Guest Services is definitely getting a phone call.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I would not report it. If it bothered you, you could have confronted the smokers themselves, at least give them a warning.

While that is an option, it is not another passenger's responsibility to act as ship's security. Besides, if someone is willing to break a rule as important as smoking rules, especially someone who's willing to smuggle a substance that's illegal in most states, chances are very good that asking them to stop will do no good. Plus the chance it'll set them off and make the situation worse.

As bad as it may be, your son's condition does not give you or him the right to smuggle it on board. And it certainly does not give him the right to impact someone else's enjoyment of their cruise were he to use it. If he can't get through a cruise without using it, then a cruise may not be the best choice for him. But if he does choose to smuggle it on board and use it, he shouldn't be surprised if he's reported.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I would not report it. If it bothered you, you could have confronted the smokers themselves, at least give them a warning. My son has a very rare form of excruciatingly painful seizures[ the head neurologist at Chiildrens Hospital said they are the most excruciating pain humanly possible] After spending over half a million trying to help him, we discovered mmj. lJ was the second minor in the state of Colorado to get the mmj card. That was many years ago. MMJ is STILL the only thing that helps him.

Now, of course, my son has been an adult for many years and still uses MMJ. We went back and forth about whether or not to go on this cruise and if we should try to smuggle some on. We never did because we are an Autistic family and weird about following rules. And there were always plenty of people [the kindness of strangers] who heard his almost inhuman screams of pain and rushed in to help. We will not be bringing it on this cruise either, and just hope that there are still others who can help out. If not, he has plenty of meds to knock him out until we can find a way to get home.

Even if mmj were not the reason my son is still alive, I would not try to get someone kicked off of a cruise and possibly arrested for it. but then again, I have never called the cops on a barking dog, yelled at kids to "get off my lawn" or any of that nasty "normal" stuff.

I'm going to have to call a bit of BS on this.....If a legit physician diagnosed your son with a medical issue that causes seizures ANY physician can prescribe any number of THC pills that are legal FDA approved medicines....It is totally unnecessarily to smoke weed to treat those medical conditions.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1