Fuerte Amador excursion

lbfluffy

I’m trying to figure out what to do in this port. I first was considering the Embera village, but now I’m leaning towards the Panama Canal and locks transit by boat. I’m not sure if it’s something we should do since we will be going through the canal the following day. But the excursion sounds interesting because it seems like it gives a more detail trip of the Canal. We have never been to Panama. So if you have any feedback, I’d appreciate it.

While it is true you will be covering some of the same ground (maybe water?😉)  on your ship's transit the following day, transiting the locks on a smaller vessel provides a completely different perspective.  On the smaller vessel the locks will seem to dwarf you and while transiting on your ship, the ship will overwhelm the locks.  Even though the accompanying narration on the tour vessel and your ship will have the same facts I'm sure there will be differences in the presentation that it won't be the same as watching a rerun.  Besides there is so much info that will be covered, hearing it twice is not a bad thing.

It all really comes  down to where your interests, as for me I am more on the nuts and bolts part of things so I would not have any problem doing the Canal excursion and then the transit the following day.  However the Embera Indians excursion is extremely popular and I have seen very few negative comments about it.  Decisions, decisions!

6 hours ago, BillB48 said:

While it is true you will be covering some of the same ground (maybe water?😉)  on your ship's transit the following day, transiting the locks on a smaller vessel provides a completely different perspective.  On the smaller vessel the locks will seem to dwarf you and while transiting on your ship, the ship will overwhelm the locks.  Even though the accompanying narration on the tour vessel and your ship will have the same facts I'm sure there will be differences in the presentation that it won't be the same as watching a rerun.  Besides there is so much info that will be covered, hearing it twice is not a bad thing.

It all really comes  down to where your interests, as for me I am more on the nuts and bolts part of things so I would not have any problem doing the Canal excursion and then the transit the following day.  However the Embera Indians excursion is extremely popular and I have seen very few negative comments about it.  Decisions, decisions!

Thank you. My husband is no help. He said it was my port to pick since he chose the excursions for the other two. This is our bucket list trip and I want to do right. 

Jessica 

We took the excursion of a ferry boat through the panama canal. I think we went through two locks. It was a three hour boat trip and so much fun and so interesting. I tell people it was my all time favorite port trip ever! We had docked in Limon so it included a bus trip to the Pacific Ocean which was also fascinating and we had lunch on the ferry. The lunch was quite good. If you go, bring a waterproof poncho if you have one so you can sit outside the whole time even if it rains.

9FB49484-8E65-4E40-B5F1-A6A6B379F715.jpeg

5 minutes ago, BlueSky100 said:

We took the excursion of a ferry boat through the panama canal. I think we went through two locks. It was a three hour boat trip and so much fun and so interesting. I tell people it was my all time favorite port trip ever! We had docked in Limon so it included a bus trip to the Pacific Ocean which was also fascinating and we had lunch on the ferry. The lunch was quite good. If you go, bring a waterproof poncho if you have one so you can sit outside the whole time even if it rains.

9FB49484-8E65-4E40-B5F1-A6A6B379F715.jpeg

Did you go through a tour company?

Lbfluffy, no tour company, i booked it through the cruise line. But its a popular thing to take the ferry , we saw two others at the same time we went through so I am sure there are tours available to book. 

Edited by BlueSky100