Visiting ABBA and Nobel Museums while in port in Stockholm

cbcb

We will be arriving in Nyashamn on 8/30/19 at 7am.  Our Princess cruise ship will be leaving that same day at 7pm.  We want to see both the Nobel Museum and the ABBA museum, especially spending as much time as possible at ABBA.  What is the most efficient way for us to get from the ship to a museum,  then to the other museum and then back to the ship?  We were thinking of the HOHO, but might that cost us too much travel time?

I don’t know about travel to those places from the ship as our cruise started in Stockholm, but I can say that the ABBA museum was expensive and crowded. I’m not sure that would be anywhere near the top of my list now looking back. Maybe if you’re a huge ABBA fan. Otherwise, there are many other better things to do in stockholm, including the outstanding Vasa Museum which is right by the ABBA museum. Just my two cents. 

Since our ship docked at Stockholm, I can’t advise on a transportation from Nynashamn. However, as soon as you manage to get to the city center, there are a couple of ways to reach ABBA Museum: using public transport such as tram or bus, or just walking there. We walked and the path was very beautiful with a park and a castle along the way. The museum was also fun, I really enjoyed it and we even managed to perform with ABBA (not a real one) on the stage. Regarding the Nobel Museum, it is situated in the former Stock Exchange Building in the Old town so I believe you will find it easily. I hope you will find out soon about the most efficient way from the port to the city center and have a great time in Stockholm!

Just got an email from the ABBA museum stating that if you use promo code pride2019 before August 3 you can get 15% off skip the line admission tickets. I just got 2 for 425sek instead of the usual 500sek

I would suggest using a taxi. A hoho bus or public transportation wastes too much time. I also agree to consider the Vasa museum. It was very interesting.

https://goo.gl/maps/M16JubaJmFdnQAxR8

The cheapest way is to take the train # 40 (Pendeltåg 40Bålsta station)  from Nyashamn station to Stockholm Cityterminal and walk to T-Centralen and transfer to train # 7 (Stockholm Waldemarsudde) for  Liljevalchs/Gröna Lund station.

Do the reverse to get back to Nyashamn but make sure you are on the platform at Stockholm Cityterminal by 4:25ish so that you can catch the 4:46 train (Pendeltåg 40Nynäshamn station) back ton Nyashamn by 6:00. Trains from Liljevalchs/Gröna Lund station run every 6 minutes but I would leave before 4:00 as you have to make the walk from T-Centralen to Cityterminal.

The easiest way would be to take the HOHO transfer to Stockholm downtown and use their HOHO system.

https://www.stromma.com/en-se/stockholm/cruise/shore-excursion-hop-on-hop-off/#tab-item14331

From their website: won't be cheap though.

Cruise Ships – piers in Stockholm

We include pick up at the cruise harbors and transportation back to your ship when you buy Hop On – Hop Off bus ticket and Hop On – Hop Off bus & boat combination ticket.

Nynäshamn:

This harbor is located “off the route” and has a transfer of approximately 60 minutes before arriving to the regular tour in Stockholm. We provide pick-up services by bus, and it’s included when you buy our Hop On – Hop Off bus ticket or Hop On – Hop Off Bus & Boat Combination ticket.

Please ask our members of staff regarding departures times from the harbor. Return transfer during a fixed time on that specific day will be informed when entering the bus. Transfer back to Nynäshamn is also included in your ticket.

Edited by lamchops

15 hours ago, cbcb said:

Wow!  Can a taxi hold 6 people?

There are taxi vans but the price above is for a regular taxi. 

9 hours ago, lamchops said:

https://goo.gl/maps/M16JubaJmFdnQAxR8

The cheapest way is to take the train # 40 (Pendeltåg 40Bålsta station)  from Nyashamn station to Stockholm Cityterminal and walk to T-Centralen and transfer to train # 7 (Stockholm Waldemarsudde) for  Liljevalchs/Gröna Lund station.

Do the reverse to get back to Nyashamn but make sure you are on the platform at Stockholm Cityterminal by 4:25ish so that you can catch the 4:46 train (Pendeltåg 40Nynäshamn station) back ton Nyashamn by 6:00. Trains from Liljevalchs/Gröna Lund station run every 6 minutes but I would leave before 4:00 as you have to make the walk from T-Centralen to Cityterminal.

The easiest way would be to take the HOHO transfer to Stockholm downtown and use their HOHO system.

https://www.stromma.com/en-se/stockholm/cruise/shore-excursion-hop-on-hop-off/#tab-item14331

From their website: won't be cheap though.

Cruise Ships – piers in Stockholm

We include pick up at the cruise harbors and transportation back to your ship when you buy Hop On – Hop Off bus ticket and Hop On – Hop Off bus & boat combination ticket.

Nynäshamn:

This harbor is located “off the route” and has a transfer of approximately 60 minutes before arriving to the regular tour in Stockholm. We provide pick-up services by bus, and it’s included when you buy our Hop On – Hop Off bus ticket or Hop On – Hop Off Bus & Boat Combination ticket.

Please ask our members of staff regarding departures times from the harbor. Return transfer during a fixed time on that specific day will be informed when entering the bus. Transfer back to Nynäshamn is also included in your ticket.

Some corrections. 

T-centralen is subway/metro only. Train 7 is a tram line not a train and it departs from Klarabergsgatan (outside Åhléns department-store). 

As for the Hoho buses it has been reported on this forum that they will wait for a full load before departing. Hoho buses are a very slow way of getting around due to their indirect routing. The Hoho boats is a little faster than the buses. 

The best choice though (for future references) is to avoid cruise lines that berths in Nynäshamn and choose one that in Stockholm. 

Edited by Desdichado62

9 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

Some corrections. 

T-centralen is subway/metro only. Train 7 is a tram line not a train and it departs from Klarabergsgatan (outside Åhléns department-store). 

Thanks for the clarification as google doesn't distinguish the types of transit very well. I will be making the trip from downtown.

• Like 1

Is Princess offering a “on your own” type of excursion? We just were on NCL Getaway and basically did this (essentially a shuttle bus excursion into town). We left the ship around 7:30am, and about a 40 minute bus ride. They dropped off at the Opera house and told us to be back at 4/4:30pm for the ride back. Worked out very well for us. We walked and took the Slussen ferry (very easy to purchase tickets through the machine) and went to the Vasa. The ABBA museum is very close to the Vasa. Then we rode the ferry back and went to Old Town. Old Town is a stretch of area right next to this ferry stop and extends up to the Palace. Nobel museum is right on the square. Very easy to get too. Not far at all. We enjoyed a very good lunch, walked the Old Town streets and back on the bus. One of our favorite days of our cruise.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:29 PM, ama said:

Is Princess offering a “on your own” type of excursion? We just were on NCL Getaway and basically did this (essentially a shuttle bus excursion into town). We left the ship around 7:30am, and about a 40 minute bus ride. They dropped off at the Opera house and told us to be back at 4/4:30pm for the ride back. Worked out very well for us. We walked and took the Slussen ferry (very easy to purchase tickets through the machine) and went to the Vasa. The ABBA museum is very close to the Vasa. Then we rode the ferry back and went to Old Town. Old Town is a stretch of area right next to this ferry stop and extends up to the Palace. Nobel museum is right on the square. Very easy to get too. Not far at all. We enjoyed a very good lunch, walked the Old Town streets and back on the bus. One of our favorite days of our cruise.

Where did the NCL ship dock?  We are docking in Nynashamn and have been told that it is a 1 hour bus ride into Stockholm.

21 hours ago, cbcb said:

Where did the NCL ship dock?  We are docking in Nynashamn and have been told that it is a 1 hour bus ride into Stockholm.

Nynäshamn judging by the description. The bus journey will take 45-60 minutes depending on traffic and etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nynäshamn/59.3295024,18.0690704/@59.1195922,17.7794351,10.5z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f587fa432eff5:0x400fef341e48d00!2m2!1d17.9465288!2d58.902926!1m0!3e0

Yes, we docked at Nynashamn. The bus ride took us about 40 minutes. They did say that it could take up to 1 hour, mainly due to traffic. But ours was pretty fast ride back and forth. We were there on a Monday too.