Tilbury Accomodation

I am sorry, but I don't have your answer. While hopefully someone will be able to answer this question on this board, as this is a question specific to the UK, you may also want to post this on the UK Cruising board at the following link as an additional resource to perhaps generate more answers and information regarding your question:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/543-uk-cruising/

You could also try the Europe Ports of Call board as another resource as well if interested here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

Keep checking back on all of these boards and hopefully between them you will get the information you seek.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Since the lines sailing from there include Silversea, Cruise & Maritime, and Viking Ocean, you might want to ask on the boards for those lines:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/108-silversea-cruises/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/825-cruise-amp-maritime-voyages/

You might also check to see if there is a roll call for your cruise, where you might find out what your fellow CC cruisers are planning.  EM

Given its proximity to London, I would assume that most people would stay there pre-cruise. I don't think there's much in the immediate surroundings in terms of accommodation, but certainly check out the UK board.

we stayed at a hotel/motel across the river in gravesend. interesting town to explore. on monday through saturday, you can take a short ferry ride across the river to your ship in tilbury. the ferry does not run on sunday but you can take a half hour taxi ride around to the closest bridge.

When we sailed out of Tilbury about eight years ago we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Dartford, which is a short taxi ride from Tilbury. We walked around Dartford (which is over the hill from the hotel) and had a drink in a local pub where we were greeted as long lost cousins. We actually arranged at the pub for a taxi to take us to the port the next day, thanks to the help of the bar maid who hooked us up with a cab driver who was in the pub. Unless things have changed greatly in the last few years, there really aren't any hotels in Tilbury that I would stay at. I would suggest that if you are arriving in London by air that you arrange for a private transfer to Dartford since taxis are too expensive and hauling luggage on the train is a real hassle. We were able to do that online before leaving the US. 

We stayed in London, close to Fenchurch Station on Tower Hill. Had we decided to train, it was a short walk/taxi to the station, then another short taxi to the terminal. BTW - Tilbury Cruise Terminal is in an industrial/port area with nothing really close.

We ended up getting a limo with Addison Lee from the hotel to terminal at a cost of about UKP 55.

• Thanks 1

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago on the "Britain" page, as flights have started from Carlisle, near us, to Southend. The answers suggested staying at Southend overnight, in the Hilton, then taking a taxi to Tilbury next morning. The train wouldn't work for us because apparently it's a mile from the station to the dock, with no taxis.

If you can find those lengthy answers on the Britain page, you might have a better idea.🙂

Carlisle has been opened by Stobbarts, who own Southend airport- they've also started daily flights to Dublin and Belfast. We are thinking of trying C&M cruise line out of Tilbury, because Southampton is proving too difficult for us now- we've been going from Newcastle, but need some different itineraries now. 

We also stayed in Gravesend, at the Clarendon Royal Hotel which is facing the river and very near the passenger ferry to Tilbury (docks right near the cruise terminal). Just a warning, the ferry wasn't running because it had broken down so we ended up booking a taxi to the port (about £50). However, it all seems fine now but I would recommend you check them on Twitter in case there is a problem. The Clarendon was lovely and very reasonable (and a good restaurant). Would have been perfect if the ferry was running.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:58 PM, jocap said:

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago on the "Britain" page, as flights have started from Carlisle, near us, to Southend. The answers suggested staying at Southend overnight, in the Hilton, then taking a taxi to Tilbury next morning. The train wouldn't work for us because apparently it's a mile from the station to the dock, with no taxis.

If you can find those lengthy answers on the Britain page, you might have a better idea.🙂

The cruise lines usually run a shuttle from the station to the cruise terminal. I agree that there are no hotels nearby and it is often better to stay at a London hotel near Fenchurch Steet Station which is the line for Tilbury. 

Taxi firm http://www.tilburytaxis.co.uk/

Edited by Gettingwarmer