1st time to Bermuda

hopelea

We have never been to Bermuda.  I don't know what to plan.  Normally, when we cruise to a new port we take Carnivals excursions so we  can get the lay of the land.  We will be on the Sunshine spending one night in Bermuda.   I am a little nervous when it comes to trying new things.   I like going to the beaches.  Not much of a snorkeler.  Wanted to do the segway tour but my husband weighs 10 pounds over the limit 🙄.    Carnival has a 3 hour lighthouse/pink sand/shopping tour that doesn't sound bad.  Its funny though, tour starts at 1:45 and itinerary says we are there at 2.   

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

47 minutes ago, hopelea said:

We have never been to Bermuda.  I don't know what to plan.  Normally, when we cruise to a new port we take Carnivals excursions so we  can get the lay of the land.  We will be on the Sunshine spending one night in Bermuda.   I am a little nervous when it comes to trying new things.   I like going to the beaches.  Not much of a snorkeler.  Wanted to do the segway tour but my husband weighs 10 pounds over the limit 🙄.    Carnival has a 3 hour lighthouse/pink sand/shopping tour that doesn't sound bad.  Its funny though, tour starts at 1:45 and itinerary says we are there at 2.   

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just put hubby on a diet. Men can lose weight so easy, 10 lbs is nothing for them! 😂

35 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

With the overnight, there is no need to take a ship's excursion. If you want the beach, there are shuttles that will take you there. You can probably find the Segway Tour cheaper.

Yep. The Segway tour people are very visible at the Dockyard. No reason for them to book that thru the cruise line. The weight restrictions are probably the same as Carnival lists because no doubt Carnival is using them.  They can compare the price on their website with what Carnivals is charging. 

http://www.segway.bm/

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks!!  I looked at their website and it says the weight is 260 and that is what he weighs.  Carnival says 250.   

So is bermuda a safe place like St. Thomas or St. Martin?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hopelea said:

Thanks!!  I looked at their website and it says the weight is 260 and that is what he weighs.  Carnival says 250.   

So is bermuda a safe place like St. Thomas or St. Martin?  

You are in luck then.

Bermuda is a safe place. It is much safer than St. Thomas or St. Martin. You can safely go around on your own. 

Edited by Charles4515

We can go safely around town?  That makes me happy!!  I really just like to go to a beach and do a little shopping.   Then back on the ship.  “We paid for the food on the ship, I am not buying food off the ship” - my hubby 😂

48 minutes ago, hopelea said:

We can go safely around town?  That makes me happy!!  I really just like to go to a beach and do a little shopping.   Then back on the ship.  “We paid for the food on the ship, I am not buying food off the ship” - my hubby 😂

I don't think the Segway tour is going to go "around town".  AFAIK it's within the confines of the Royal Naval Dockyard,, which is where your ship will be berthed.

While I am not sure exactly what cruise you are on, I just checked out the Sunshine dates in Bermuda and it looks like you are there for a fair portion of the first day (if not all) and a fair portion of the second day - always on weekdays.  

That being said, if you break up the days just like you would in two different islands, do a beach thing on one day, and either do your segway in the dockyard, or jump on ferry to walk around Hamilton, the other.  Remember that most stores, especially outside of the Dockyard, close at 5.

Bermuda is a very safe island and most people feel very safe exploring the island using public transit or a combination of taxis and minibuses.  Remember that taxis in Bermuda can be very expensive because fuel is crazy expensive.

Depending what time you do arrive and leave, you could also look into renting a boston whaler at one of the rental places close to the dockyard (short cab rides).  A few mentioned on here frequently are H20 watersports, Sommerset Bridge watersports and KS watersports.  Don't have personal experience with any of them but lots of reviews available.

Have fun - hope this helped.

Not sure if you are on our same sailing (we are on Sunshine leaving October 26th) but Carnival's Bermuda excursions are ridiculously overpriced. Use public transportation or a cab to go to a beach for far less than a ship excursion. Island  tours are far cheaper if you go independently as well.

There is a blue building within walking distance of the piers (there are 2). That’s the Island Tour Centre.  You can book just about any tours or activities there at a much better price than through the cruise line. 

I highly recommend the Famous Homes and Hideaways tour. It’s a boat tour - I know, you just got off a ship - but one of the best ways to see the beauty of Bermuda is from the water. The Segway tour looks fun but it’s mostly limited to Dockyard. 

There are shuttles that will take you to Horseshoe Bay for $7pp. Stay as long as you like. They run all day. There are full facilities at Horseshoe Bay so you can shower off and change. 

You can shop at Dockyard. There is the Clocktower Mall full of fun little shops. The Dockyard Pharmacy - don’t let the word pharmacy fool you - has all kinds of souvenirs. There is a Glassworks and the rum cake factory, and a lovely Crafts Market by the Frog & Onion pub. There are also several kiosks in the grassy strip by the ferry dock. Don’t miss the pink Bermuda Fudge booth. It’s addicting and yes you can take it back on the ship. 

You can also take the ferry into Hamilton - the Capital. There are lots of shops and the ferry ride is lovely. It’s about 20 minutes. 

Hope you enjoy your visit.  Plan for a return visit now - it’s not just the fudge that’s addicting. Bermuda is a special place!

On 7/25/2019 at 5:47 PM, hopelea said:

If you enjoy beach and a little shopping then an easy itinerary could be the $7 shuttle (per person, each way) to Horseshoe on your longest day and shopping at the Dockyard area on your short day (maybe some shopping both days).  We found dockyard very walkable and the shuttle convenient (and much cheaper than a ship "excursion" transfer).

If you don't want to purchase food off the ship I would plan a large breakfast that day to tide you over.  Possibly budget a small amount for an afternoon tea experience though (since Bermuda has strong British roots) or at least a Rum Swizzle or Dark and Stormy if you like to drink.  Horseshoe food options were pricy but generous portions (and it is a tourist area 😉 )