Visiting Antigua from Puerto Quetzal

JaneAustenCruiser

I was wondering if anyone has recently done any of the Antigua tours from either of the cruise ports lately. The last report in the forums I can find looks to be from 2018. A lot can change on the ground, politically, in a country in that amount of time.

I'd really like to do the self-guided Antigua tour that Celebrity offers. State Department doesn't list Antiqua's department (county) as a higher risk than Guatemala itself right now (Level 2- Exercise Extra Caution).

I'd be happy to hear anyone's stories of their recent visits!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 12:26 PM, thekidsandi said:

I too would like to get some recent information on Antigua. I will be there in October and would love to hear what others have done while visiting.

What ship are you sailing on? We will be at port October 18, 2019 on the NCL Joy. NCL currently has no excursions listed for this port. We too are interested in Antigua.

15 minutes ago, CardFanDubG said:

What ship are you sailing on? We will be at port October 18, 2019 on the NCL Joy. NCL currently has no excursions listed for this port. We too are interested in Antigua.

We are on the Carnival Legend, arriving on October 17th. We have signed up for Colonial Antigua, Jade Museum & Factory tour. I hope to have some free time in Antigua as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CardFanDubG said:

We'll be on the Celebrity Infinity. 🙂 I believe we're there around the end of October.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on NCL Joy sailing 11/8/19.  They have finally just listed tours for this area. We decided to do one of the ship's tours due to the long drive to Antigua and  road delays and problems that are often reported. I think we will do the Casa Santo Domingo tour.

1 hour ago, fairydustca said:

We are on NCL Joy sailing 11/8/19.  They have finally just listed tours for this area. We decided to do one of the ship's tours due to the long drive to Antigua and  road delays and problems that are often reported. I think we will do the Casa Santo Domingo tour.

NCL added the excursions for our cruise also. We booked the Guatemalan Rum, Aged In The Clouds and Sightseeing excursion. I agree definitely suggest  the NCL Excursions at this port. 

• 2 years later...
On 8/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, CardFanDubG said:

NCL added the excursions for our cruise also. We booked the Guatemalan Rum, Aged In The Clouds and Sightseeing excursion. I agree definitely suggest  the NCL Excursions at this port. 

So jump ahead 2+ years and it’s 2022.  Just wondering if you did the Guatemalan Rum excursion, and what you thought of it? We are cruising Holland America in April, and thought it sounded interesting. Would you recommend it?

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 12:24 AM, St Sam said:

So jump ahead 2+ years and it’s 2022.  Just wondering if you did the Guatemalan Rum excursion, and what you thought of it? We are cruising Holland America in April, and thought it sounded interesting. Would you recommend it?

Yes did the excursion. We really enjoyed it. We did have difficulty getting there as there was road construction and we sat in traffic not moving for over 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, CardFanDubG said:

Yes did the excursion. We really enjoyed it. We did have difficulty getting there as there was road construction and we sat in traffic not moving for over 30 minutes. 

What did you do/see besides the rum?

Thanks for any info!