Foreign currency for cruise to multiple countries

On 10/25/2019 at 10:13 PM, Host Bonjour said:

Oh that's interesting, what period was it? I love learning more and more.

I follow, as much as I can, still learning, about the Scottish politics, apart from Westminster, closely watching the most recent referendum which was quite close. Tried to read up on SNP, Nicola, but I need now to get more informed on Wales, is it me or they seem to keep rather quiet? I suppose that's not a bad thing. It's likely I've family scattered about that I've yet to find, as I know many of us left Ireland 🇮🇪, few came to America. Seems there's been much border crossing for centuries, though.

It's spectacularly beautiful land, creatures, and people. I can recognize the terrain, almost anytime I see a panoramic shot overland of Scotland. It looks like no other place I've seen thus far, on four continents. Can rule out Antarctica w/o needing to verify w/my eyes. 

And if there's a flag emoji for it, which I've already used before, when there aren't flag emojis for countries that are independent, well, that speaks volumes right there. Scotland. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Hey Jo!! 

Isn't that currently the problem, familiarity with the euro 😉 

We have the most spectacular scenery in the world, just a pity we don’t have decent weather to go with it.

In the 1960’s and 70’s if we used our Scottish money in some parts of England would only give us 19 shillings and 6 pennies (pre decimalisation) which is 98 pence in today’s money. Thankfully it’s worth the full £1 now. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Edited by Issyalex
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 2:53 PM, Issyalex said:

We have the most spectacular scenery in the world, just a pity we don’t have decent weather to go with it.

In the 1960’s and 70’s if we used our Scottish money in some parts of England would only give us 19 shillings and 6 pennies (pre decimalisation) which is 98 pence in today’s money. Thankfully it’s worth the full £1 now. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Strangely enough, the weather was...well...strange but it rather added to the experience. It could change many times in one day (or not!) but it really didn't matter at all. I planned for it and it worked out. And sunshine all the time is just weird, but that's might only be me 🤔

They shorted you 2p on exchange? Well that's just wrong. 😩 In those days, 2p would add up quickly, especially converted over here to cents/dollars. Very glad it's all even now, albeit if there's an occasional cheek when spending £ in other, if I say countries for Scotland I know it isn't wrong, but I don't know if it's wrong for Wales, NI too. 

As for the shillings, crowns, and guineas, I am always having to do a conversion, which varies as to the time of course, and when switching from gold standard (guineas) which also varied as to class (who knew?) as the lower class wouldn't likely ever have any guineas and so it was a big deal when a ladies maid (on telly) said the other day she was going to buy her wedding dress with guineas, not pounds. Gave up trying to figure what the guinea was worth except....could it have only ever been directly tied to the value of an ounce (or grams) of gold, aka the gold standard which was what was used here for a time too. And silver. 

Anyway....it's always something, isn't it? I have officially lost the ability to understand what is happening in Westminster and so I feel much more in command working on trying to comprehend antiquated currency trivia. And there's nothing sounds so promising (or creepy) as the jingle and subsequent thunk of a leather pouch of gold coins being dropped on a table, in a public house or drawing room, as a precursor to grand transaction.

Now we can just hover our phones over a plastic thing, or hand over the card. A bell rings, pass Go, and keep 2p! 😉 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 11:15 PM, Host Bonjour said:

Strangely enough, the weather was...well...strange but it rather added to the experience. It could change many times in one day (or not!) but it really didn't matter at all. I planned for it and it worked out. And sunshine all the time is just weird, but that's might only be me 🤔

They shorted you 2p on exchange? Well that's just wrong. 😩 In those days, 2p would add up quickly, especially converted over here to cents/dollars. Very glad it's all even now, albeit if there's an occasional cheek when spending £ in other, if I say countries for Scotland I know it isn't wrong, but I don't know if it's wrong for Wales, NI too. 

As for the shillings, crowns, and guineas, I am always having to do a conversion, which varies as to the time of course, and when switching from gold standard (guineas) which also varied as to class (who knew?) as the lower class wouldn't likely ever have any guineas and so it was a big deal when a ladies maid (on telly) said the other day she was going to buy her wedding dress with guineas, not pounds. Gave up trying to figure what the guinea was worth except....could it have only ever been directly tied to the value of an ounce (or grams) of gold, aka the gold standard which was what was used here for a time too. And silver. 

Anyway....it's always something, isn't it? I have officially lost the ability to understand what is happening in Westminster and so I feel much more in command working on trying to comprehend antiquated currency trivia. And there's nothing sounds so promising (or creepy) as the jingle and subsequent thunk of a leather pouch of gold coins being dropped on a table, in a public house or drawing room, as a precursor to grand transaction.

Now we can just hover our phones over a plastic thing, or hand over the card. A bell rings, pass Go, and keep 2p! 😉 

I’m glad you didn’t mind our weird weather as We can have 4 seasons in 1 day! ☀️🌧🌨💨

a guinea is £1.1shilling/21shillings or £1. 5p in today’s money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2019 at 4:00 PM, Issyalex said:

If they are all the same tell me why some places in England either scrutinise our Scottish notes or refuse to accept them? 

I've had them also refuse to accept NI notes.