Alaska side of ship question

lynn-in-nc

I saw lots of answers to this question online, but none specifically about Seabourn.  We're booked into an aft Penthouse spa suite on Seabourn Sojourn (inside passage) in August 2020 and just watched a video suggesting that it's best to have a cabin on the side of the ship facing the land.  We're going Juneau to Vancouver, so that means the port side.  We do tend to spend quite a bit of time on the balcony so I'm wondering about switching to regular penthouse suite which is on the port or starboard side. 

Any thoughts on whether there is a good side or bad side?  My TA says the ship will be turning around anyway but if I'm going to be sitting on the balcony I'd like to have the best chance of seeing wildlife if possible. 

Usually the 'port or starboard' question is very important (think big cities like Barcelona). In Barcelona, you either look at the most beautiful city in the world or you look at grain silos.  Not 100% accurate but you get my point.  We've done over 40 cruise with 3 being to Alaska and I don't remember the  port-starboard side question being nearly as important in the Alaska cruises.  Alaska is 360 degrees beautiful, SB ships don't always get docked smack downtown and when they do, the towns are only 5000 people big.

Hopefully others will chime in on this but I'm not so sure it's a big deal which side of the ship you're on.

Hi Lynn, in a Penthouse Spa suite and being on the stern of the ship, would you not get a better and more panoramic view which would include a bit of a port view, a bit of a starboard view and the whole beautiful view from behind? If it were me, I would not want to give this up for a solely a port side view. 

We did the 14 night Anchorage to Vancouver. For seeing the scenery while cruising it doesn’t matter which side you are on. We were on the starboard side and mostly faced away from the docks when parked which was nice. 

For sure, there are better suite locations for Alaska.  I've done spa suite twice in Alaska, but it would not be first choice based on viewing.  My opinion is any veranda would be better than spa if viewing is top priority.   What you hear can be as cool as what you see, and you will hear very little on back of ship.

We are currently in Alaska in a Penthouse Spa suite and very happy.  I think either side aft would be great.  We are going Seward to Vancouver.  It’s been a great cruise so far.  Very happy!