Santorini Oia's main street

jerrib

I have a cruise stop coming up.  As it is my first time in Santorini, I am trying to figure out the logistics.
I will be arriving Oia by bus from Fira and believe I can pick up the main street there. Do people mainly stay on this street and then backtrack (to where I got off the bus?)  About how long is this street?  

Edited by jerrib

It's not really much of a street you will be walking as it is a random collection of alleys and walkways with offshoots into picturesque location.  You won't have to intermingle with cars after you leave the area where you leave the bus.  Just head toward the inner portion of the crater (probably following the others on your bus) and wander around.  It's not that big of a place.  Then wander back to where you meet your bus back.  I don't remember specific distances, but I covered  it all in just an hour or 2 of walking around.

As MeHeartCruising stated, there isn't a "main street" per se in Oia.  The bus from Fira will drop you off in a somewhat dead end street whereby there is a small souvenir shop, fast food style shop and taxi stands.  Proceed towards the end of the street and head left where you will come across a large white church in the middle of a main square.  Included a pic of this church for your reference.  I'd consider this (whether rightfully or wrongfully) sort of the center if the town.  With the church to your back, head right to wander through the offshoot of walkways and alleys to lead you to the iconic 3 blue domed churches.  Head left for more restaurants and shops (we found this avenue to be more spacious and less busy but it could have been the day we were in port). 

DSCF9231.JPG

1 hour ago, mskaufman said:

And sometimes it gets crowded

IMG_3436.JPG

Looks just like the path to the summit of Mt Everest!  I can concur it is just a packed horde of tourist, but say we were all very orderly and waited patiently for our turn for our iconic instagram shot LOL

Edited by chipmaster

On 7/27/2019 at 11:55 PM, chipmaster said:

Looks just like the path to the summit of Mt Everest!  I can concur it is just a packed horde of tourist, but say we were all very orderly and waited patiently for our turn for our iconic instagram shot LOL

LOL re: instagram!