Question regarding actual time off the ship

heatherRN53

We are going on our first cruise in 93 days. One of our stops is Port Canaveral Florida. Our itinerary states we are there from 1pm-9pm. Is 1pm the time the ship arrives in port, or is it the time we will be able to disembark? The same for the 9pm departure time. I assume thats when the ship sails, and we will have to be back on board by maybe 7pm? I am trying to gauge what we will have time to do, as it seems kind of dull port if your not interested in the Kennedy Space centre. Everything else seems far away. 

All aboard is usually 1/2 hour before the ship sails, in your case 8:30pm.  I just got off a cruise 2 weeks ago and if memory serves they're usually docked or very nearly docked by the stated time (1:00pm) and start letting people off pretty much immediately.

The stated arrival time is an estimated arrival, but in many cases the Captain will endeavour to have the ship secured by this time. The amount of time to commence disembarkation depends on the clearance requirement and local officials. Most times it is within a few minutes of the gangway being installed/rigged.

All aboard for passengers is normally 1/2 hr before departure. Check the departure board at the gangway, as you depart the vessel. Note that it may have separate times for crew & pax. It is also posted on the daily paper, on most, if not all cruise lines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heatherRN53 said:

We are going on our first cruise in 93 days. One of our stops is Port Canaveral Florida. Our itinerary states we are there from 1pm-9pm. Is 1pm the time the ship arrives in port, or is it the time we will be able to disembark? The same for the 9pm departure time. I assume thats when the ship sails, and we will have to be back on board by maybe 7pm? I am trying to gauge what we will have time to do, as it seems kind of dull port if your not interested in the Kennedy Space centre. Everything else seems far away. 

You should be able to begin disembarking as soon as the ship is docked. All aboard will be 30 minutes prior to sailing.

if you like the beach check out cocoa beach. They will have a transfer you can buy on board or just get an uber. It is the small wave surfing capital of the us and it is beautiful. They also have a huge Ron Jon shop that has decent deals. I got my dd a surfing lesson that I set up prior to going for about $50. We had a blast!

1-9 isn't enough time to go to Disney or universal. 

If sail away is 9pm, you will need to be ON the ship at 8:30pm.  It's only 2 hours on departure day from your HOME port....not at "port of calls".

Even if you had the entire day, you still wouldn't have time for Disney or Universal.....that's a LAND vacation...not a "port of call" day!

Besides the artificial sites likeDisney and the space center, there are natural sites/sights. Rent a car, drive to the bird sanctuaries in the area, including the one to the east of Orlando. Eagles, alligators, various water birds... Do a search on a term like Orlando area bird watching or Orlando area wildlife and check out your options.

• 2 weeks later...

The times stated are the arrival and departure times. You can leave the ship once the ship is cleared and you have to be back normally 30 min before departure. But be aware and ALWAYS check when you need to be back. There is an information board when you leave the ship to check.

I have been to the Space center twice. It was interesting but for me once would have been enough. If you are not interested in space, don't go.