Greenock to Edinburgh

Hi there.  Has anyone figured out how to get from the port in Greenock to Edinburgh and back.  The boat docks on a Sunday and it is the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh; therefore, I wasn't sure if it would be difficult to find trains and taxis that are running frequently.  Has anybody found a reasonable priced driver for the day?

Thanks, Lisa P.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  There are several places here to ask this question.  One is the Ports of Call board for Britain:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

Another would be the ROLL CALL for your cruise.  The roll call is where you can connect with other CC members on your sailing.  They are sure to be discussing excursions and arranging groups for independent tours.  I can't give you the link to your roll call, because you haven't revealed ship or date, but here is the link to the ROLL  CALL forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/20-roll-calls/

Click on your cruise line, then your ship, and look for a thread with the dates for your cruise.  EM

EM

• Like 1

Many moons ago, we went from South Queensferry to Edinburgh by train.  Other than a lot of stairs from the port area to the train station it was really easy.   We used Greenock to get to Glasgow.  

Not much help unless you are also docking at South Queensferry.  

Anyway, Edinburgh is a fantastic place to visit. I want to go back.     

• Like 1

Believe I answered the exact same question a few months ago on the UK Board. You can always find a driver, but Glasgow & Edinburgh traffic can be bad. Isn't a work day, but you may experience football traffic depending on time and schedules.

Personally, I would look at the train from Greenock to Glasgow & then Glasgow to Edinburgh. Can probably arrive in Edinburgh Waverly sooner by train than driving.

• Like 1

Sis and I took the train from Greenock to Edinburgh.  You just have to change trains in Glasgow.  

Going was easy, peasy.  However, we went for the Tattoo and it was over at about 11pm.  We didn't want to chance the train, not even sure if they run at that time.  And then have to change so late in an unfamiliar city (Glasgow).  Further, it's about a 20-30 minute walk from the train station to the pier.  Late at night in an industrial area.  Anyway, we ended up hiring a car service.  I can't remember the cost.  More expensive than the train, but altogether including the tickets to the Tattoo we paid less than the ship's excursion.  And he got us back to the ship about 10 minutes or so before all the buses.

• Like 1

OK, I went back and checked.  I can't find much because it was so long ago, but I did find the bank account entry and we paid a little over $200 for the hour and a half trip by private car.

Again, even with the cost of the train and the tickets to the Tattoo it was less than the $280 or so per person excursion cost to go to the Tattoo that Princess was charging.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lisashopgirl said:

Hi there.  Has anyone figured out how to get from the port in Greenock to Edinburgh and back.  The boat docks on a Sunday and it is the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh; therefore, I wasn't sure if it would be difficult to find trains and taxis that are running frequently.  Has anybody found a reasonable priced driver for the day?

Thanks, Lisa P.

Hi Lisa

I can give you specific information about the trains but there isn't a good service on Sunday mornings in Scotland.  Check out this website - www.nationalrail.co.uk

The train to Edinburgh involves a change in Glasgow. First of all you walk to the station in Greenock. You could get a train from Greenock West  at 8:29 arriving Glasgow central at 9:13. It's a short walk (sign-posted) to Glasgow Queen Street for your train to Edinburgh departing 10:00 arriving 10:44. It may be slightly quicker by car especially on a Sunday morning but it will be VERY busy in Edinburgh getting around.  The Edinburgh Festival and Fringe is the biggest Arts Festival in the world and as such the character of the city changes in August. Some people think it is a very positive thing but others who are more interested in the history of the city are less impressed by the overwhelming crowds.  

• Like 1