Incident on Britannia

Presto2

According to info on another Forum there was an incident in the early hours where a fight broke out and was dealt with by the staff. It had nothing to do with the sailaway or the guy supposedly dressed as a clown. Not good though. Drink and the English just don't mix.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just been reading about it the BBC news site.  How disgusting.  This is going to start happening more and more on the huge ships I fear.

I fear that you may very well be right.

Absolutely deplorable behaviour. It now makes you wonder about jurisdiction and if there will be any legal consequences for those involved.

Edited by AchileLauro
  • Like 1

Disgusting behaviour.

Different forms of unsocial behaviour seem to be much more commonplace these days...... Certainly not good for P&O and I just wonder what can be done to stop this. Are the alcohol packages to blame I wonder?

Patriotic sailaways (whether you like or loathe them) happen on most cruises without incident. I hope the actions of few are not going to spoil things for the majority of cruisers who know how to behave.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Disgusting behaviour.

Different forms of unsocial behaviour seem to be much more commonplace these days...... Certainly not good for P&O and I just wonder what can be done to stop this. Are the alcohol packages to blame I wonder?

Patriotic sailaways (whether you like or loathe them) happen on most cruises without incident. I hope the actions of few are not going to spoil things for the majority of cruisers who know how to behave.

Which cruise lines have patriotic sailaways apart from P&O ??

I don't sail P&O but I have sailed NCL, MSC, HAL, Princess, Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and they don't.

Just asking

Annie

Edited by anniegb

25 minutes ago, AchileLauro said:

I fear that you may very well be right.

Absolutely deplorable behaviour. It now makes you wonder about jurisdiction and if there will be any legal consequences for those involved.

There is a group of CID officers at Southampton who have been sworn in as 'Reserve Constables' (same as UK Special Constables) in the Bermuda Police.

2 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Which cruise lines have patriotic sailaways apart from P&O ??

I don't sail P&O but I have sailed NCL, MSC, HAL, Princess, Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and they don't.

Just asking

Annie

Sorry Annie. As I was on the P&O board I was only referring to their ships and cruises. Have no idea what other lines do as never sailed with anyone else. Been cruising since 1992 and always had the Great British Sailaway. I don’t believe the cruise lines you mentioned are mostly aimed at the British market, but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Distusting behaviour.  I hope both P&O and the police take the necessary action on those involved.

Can't understand how, if this was the black tie night, anyone thought dressing as a clown was even remotely appropriate.

The “Clown” is a “Red Herring” from what I read there was a group who were drunk and loud and swearing. Someone objected and a fight ensured.

I have gleaned that from many comments on a range of FB groups. Fights due to alcohol consumption are not new and happen on all cruise lines and have happened on P&O over a long period of time.

Of course they get more attention because of social media.

Personally  I have never seen a fight on a ship or spoken to anyone who has, on any line.

I have seen a few drunks and most have not been lately.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

Surely it's not that difficult for P&O to identify the passengers that initiated this discussing and unacceptable behaviour and ban them from ever cruising with P&O in the future.

This happened Thursday night Friday morning. Those involved were confined to their cabins and handed over to police at Southampton, being the next port.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Disgusting behaviour.

The incident happens at 02.00 on Friday morning. Nothing to do with the sailaway.

Another example of shoddy journalism.

• Like 7

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Personally I find the British Sailaways awful and steer well clear, but I've never seen bad behaviour at them.

Nothing to do with the GBS

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, daiB said:

This happened Thursday night Friday morning. Those involved were confined to their cabins and handed over to police at Southampton, being the next port.

1 minute ago, daiB said:

The incident happens at 02.00 on Friday morning. Nothing to do with the sailaway.

Another example of shoddy journalism.

That's reassuring, let's hope they were dealt with appropriately and made to pay for any damage they may have caused.

Not surprised that there was trouble after a P&O so called “patriotic”afternoon. Although I am British I am not English and on two previous cruises, one P&O and one Princess, from Southampton I have had to put up with almost continual snide so called jokey comments from a fair number of English passengers regarding both my name and the part of the UK I am from. On both cruises it reached a crescendo after the alcohol fuelled Rule Britannia “patriotic” sail away when the comments  changed from half jokey to wholly offensive. Had done 4 P&O cruises before but never again with P&O and never would I book any cruise on any line out of Southampton. Suggested to both P&O and Princess that for sail away parties less Rule Britannia and more Summer Holiday might be better but of course got no response.There seems to be an increasing boorish uncouth element on those cruises from Southampton and on P&O in general. Also it seems to reflect the increasing ugly side of some parts of so called British nationalism. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Does actually depend on which ship.  I have sailed out of Southampton on all my cruises, Oriana, Aurora, Arcadia, Adonia.  never had any boorish behaviour at all.  BUT it's a different group of people in the main.

15 minutes ago, Dileas01 said:

Not surprised that there was trouble after a P&O so called “patriotic”afternoon. Although I am British I am not English and on two previous cruises, one P&O and one Princess, from Southampton I have had to put up with almost continual snide so called jokey comments from a fair number of English passengers regarding both my name and the part of the UK I am from. On both cruises it reached a crescendo after the alcohol fuelled Rule Britannia “patriotic” sail away when the comments  changed from half jokey to wholly offensive. Had done 4 P&O cruises before but never again with P&O and never would I book any cruise on any line out of Southampton. Suggested to both P&O and Princess that for sail away parties less Rule Britannia and more Summer Holiday might be better but of course got no response.There seems to be an increasing boorish uncouth element on those cruises from Southampton and on P&O in general. Also it seems to reflect the increasing ugly side of some parts of so called British nationalism. 

I see you have fallen for the pathetic reporting of this ‘fight’. It happened at 0200 and had nothing to do with the sailaway at all.

Shocking sensationalist journalism.

• Like 6