Incident on Britannia

Presto2

As the incident took place in the Lido which is casual on a formal night, I am surprised that nobody has considered that the reference to a "clown outfit” was an insulting or jokey term for someone wearing a DJ.

I could easily see that someone who has been excluded from parts of the ship because of their casual dress could take alcohol fuelled umbrage at someone dressed formally coming into 'their' area and referring to them being dressed as a clown, or an alcohol fuelled response by the person formally dressed to a jokey comment about them being dressed as a clown.

And then the word of mouth of the incident translating this to them actually wearing a clown outfit, particularly when P&O say nobody was.

If so then ironically it could have been someone actually complying with the formal dress requirement which sparked the punch up...

Edited by picsa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I also find this British don’t know how to behave amusing, the most rude passengers I’ve seen on a cruise were this year on Princess, and they weren’t British!

We were aboard Emerald Princess in the Caribbean during the 2010 World Cup. I witnessed a brawl between the USA and Ghanaian supporters mid afternoon after USA lost. The funniest thing I've ever seen as the brawlers kept slipping over around the pool area trying to throw punches. Security were soon all over them.

• Like 1

Brawls on ships are shocking terrifying and totally unacceptable. Its akin to a brawl on an airplane. It puts everyone at risk and its not as if you can get off or take a taxi home. Those involved in this one on the Britannia should have been locked up and the key thrown away. I do hope they are all banned for life from cruising. I liked the Britannia but in my review I did refer to the "Butlins crowd" and sadly as many have commented thats the way things are going. P&O need to take some responsibility and try to ensure that people are not terrorised like this on any of their ships. 

Edited by johnnyd57uk
missed word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

We were aboard Emerald Princess in the Caribbean during the 2010 World Cup. I witnessed a brawl between the USA and Ghanaian supporters mid afternoon after USA lost. The funniest thing I've ever seen as the brawlers kept slipping over around the pool area trying to throw punches. Security were soon all over them.

I remember this well....and if memory serves it was a powder-keg atmosphere from the beginning given that the pool deck below the big screen was clearly divided between the supporters of the respective teams.  Then, a young lady on the side supporting Ghana ended up in the pool and it all kicked off.  

Although alcohol was no doubt flowing at the time, and could be considered a contributing factor it goes without saying that the stage was set for a possible disaster long before the opening kick off due to the clearly divided crowd and tense atmosphere.  As they say, hindsight is 20/20 but i'm a firm believer that if companies (or cruise lines in this case) implement deterrents ahead of time there is a less likely chance of things getting out of hand, and this of course starts with responsible service and general awareness onboard/engagement beyond pouring and pandering...just my 2 cent

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I also find this British don’t know how to behave amusing, the most rude passengers I’ve seen on a cruise were this year on Princess, and they weren’t British!

I've posted on the Celebrity thread that, though I would not condone this sort of behaviour in any way, shape or form, the British are not the only ones who can behave badly. Having seen some passengers on Celebrity in the past from other nationalities (who will remain nameless) it has been clear that we all nationalities have the 'obnoxious' ones who seem to have grown up with no manners and respect for anyone.

(Sorry if that is a bit strong but the way that some people speak to the staff really winds me up!) 

I knew a cannibal who once ate a clown - he said it tasted a bit funny!

Seriously though, this has no doubt been blown out of all proportion. A brawl in the buffet at 2am, whilst unfortunate, is not really a serious incident and the vast majority of passengers would have had no knowledge of it until they read it in the press. Alcohol doubtless played its part but I suspect the Great British Sailaway, loathsome as it is, did not.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gatour said:

I will first respond to the above quote, but I will later have other responses for some of the other things posted here

The "free drinks inside cabin" is a ludicrous statement.  The big cruise lines are building ships with lots and lots of balconies, because that is what people want and will pay extra for.   They have even been know to weld on balconies on older ships that were originally built without balconies, just so they can charge higher prices.  For newer ships the cabins with balconies vs cabins without is around the 70/30 percent range.

Now for the rest, you need a bit of  context.  I am a native born Floridian in the mid 50's and have lived here most of my life.  While not living in the typical tourist areas, i.e.  Orlando, Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Daytona, I have taken multiple trips to those areas.  I have also been cruising since 1981 and have used most of the mass market lines

My opinion one:  There have been statements about people in other countries looking "down" on British people because they are troublemakers.  (and by British, I mean the country where London, Bath etc is located.  Don't quite get the nuance between British and English, so indulge me).

I believe if you asked most people in the hospitality industry in the tourist areas, they would consider British people are no worse or better in their behavior in comparison to other countries and even people who reside in the US.

If you asked me I concur, their are boorish people no matter their country of residence.

My opinion two:  Cost of the actual booking and drink packages affecting the type of clientele that book cruises.   When I first started cruising, drink prices were ridiculously cheap as compared to on shore prices.  The cruise line was passing on the duty free alcohol prices to the consumers.  After 10 or so  years, they figured out they could charge on shore prices for the same drink, thus pocketing the difference.  They could keep the revenues the same or actually increase them, while keeping the cabin booking price the same.  They just ratchet up the drink prices.

What actually affects the passenger make up is the time of year and/or if it is a weekend cruise vs mid week cruise.  For example, we did a B2B cruise.  First leg was a 4 night weekend cruise, the second leg was a 5 night midweek cruise.  The passenger was vastly different.  The first leg had a lot of 20/30 year old "partiers".  The second leg was many middle aged and older people where things were more sedate.  Was one leg better than the other, no, just different.

So in summary, making generalizations is a fool's game.  If I made generalizations just based country of origin, income, etc.  I would have not met the interesting people, I have had the pleasure to meet over the last 50 years of my life, and hope to continue to meet in the future.

Very confusing but here goes Great Britain consists of 3 countries England, Wales and Scotland when classified as the United Kingdom it also includes Northern Ireland. Never call a Scottish or Welsh person English and the same vice versa but we can all be classified as British. England consists of a large area stretching from the south coast i.e Southampton  to Cornwall in the west and as far north as Carlisle and are all classified as in England. Equally Wales is a country part of Great Britain to the west of England and Scotland the furthest North all totally independent but come under either GB or UK. Boy I am confused now where do I live 🤣.

2 hours ago, johnnyd57uk said:

Brawls on ships are shocking terrifying and totally unacceptable. Its akin to a brawl on an airplane. It puts everyone at risk and its not as if you can get off or take a taxi home. Those involved in this one on the Britannia should have been locked up and the key thrown away. I do hope they are all banned for life from cruising. I liked the Britannia but in my review I did refer to the "Butlins crowd" and sadly as many have commented thats the way things are going. P&O need to take some responsibility and try to ensure that people are not terrorised like this on any of their ships. 

What exactly is the 'Butlin's Crowd'?

19 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

What exactly is the 'Butlin's Crowd'?

Not sure, but it's a little unfair on Butlins - can't recall seeing any reports like this about Butlins. 

Applies more, I think, to the Magaluf/Ibiza/Benidorm louts - though these places are already banning certain types of British tourist because of the behaviour.

P&O should be doing the same, but money talks.

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not sure, but it's a little unfair on Butlins - can't recall seeing any reports like this about Butlins. 

Applies more, I think, to the Magaluf/Ibiza/Benidorm louts - though these places are already banning certain types of British tourist because of the behaviour.

You were doing so well there Harry, but again the stereotyping of people by their choice of holiday destination is irregular to say the least.

We cannot on one hand, accuse the journalist of misleading readers about the P&O incident whilst at the same time succumbing to the same practices when other misleading stories about other places are believed!

Ibiza, for example has one or two party towns but many more idyllic getaway town and beach resorts.

Bit late to this; so my question might be covered a few pages back; but heard on the radio the excessive drinking was due to an 'all inclusive drinks' package.. didn't know they did that on P&O?? Obviously the initial report is full of errors, but have been on P&O a few times I am surprised by this.. 

7 minutes ago, Hantsman said:

Bit late to this; so my question might be covered a few pages back; but heard on the radio the excessive drinking was due to an 'all inclusive drinks' package.. didn't know they did that on P&O?? Obviously the initial report is full of errors, but have been on P&O a few times I am surprised by this.. 

They just started doing one a couple of months ago.

40 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Let me fix that for you 🙂 

https://news.sky.com/story/man-dies-after-fight-at-butlins-holiday-resort-11745293

Just now, davemorton said:

They just started doing one a couple of months ago.

Ah I see; that really puts me off P&O, although obviously a one off incident, relentless drinking on all inclusive packages does make the whole thing more downmarket.. having said that; last year on Cunard there was a really obnoxious drunk women in one of the bars.. seems cruise travel is not the experience it once was.. 

10 minutes ago, Hantsman said:

P&O offer a drinks package for £39.95 pp, which allows a total of 15 alcoholic drinks per day,  but only for drinks costing less than £6.95. You also get coffee and soft drinks with the package.  Every adult in the cabin has to buy the package,  and it has to be for the whole cruise.  Full details are on the web site.

Just now, Hantsman said:

Ah I see; that really puts me off P&O, although obviously a one off incident, relentless drinking on all inclusive packages does make the whole thing more downmarket.. having said that; last year on Cunard there was a really obnoxious drunk women in one of the bars.. seems cruise travel is not the experience it once was.. 

To be fair, they have priced it that high in relation to the drinks prices, and limited, that it is not really much good to most.

2 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I remember this well....and if memory serves it was a powder-keg atmosphere from the beginning given that the pool deck below the big screen was clearly divided between the supporters of the respective teams.  Then, a young lady on the side supporting Ghana ended up in the pool and it all kicked off.  

Although alcohol was no doubt flowing at the time, and could be considered a contributing factor it goes without saying that the stage was set for a possible disaster long before the opening kick off due to the clearly divided crowd and tense atmosphere.  As they say, hindsight is 20/20 but i'm a firm believer that if companies (or cruise lines in this case) implement deterrents ahead of time there is a less likely chance of things getting out of hand, and this of course starts with responsible service and general awareness onboard/engagement beyond pouring and pandering...just my 2 cent

Definitely a powder keg atmosphere fuelled by Princess having mobile drinks stations to ease the pool bar queue underneath the TV screen.

Yes, the Ghanaian lady was slapping her back side at the Americans, implying "have some of that". Then it kicked off!

Edited by Esprit
typo

3 minutes ago, davemorton said:

To be fair, they have priced it that high in relation to the drinks prices, and limited, that it is not really much good to most.

Yes just saw the details from a post by Wowzz.. not exactly unlimited 12 hour drinking.. 

Edited by Hantsman
missing words

5 minutes ago, Hantsman said:

Yes just saw the details from a post by Wowzz.. not exactly unlimited 12 hour drinking.. 

You also have to wait 15 minutes between drinks, although I am not sure how strictly that is enforced.  

I think we need to move away from the suggestion that too much drink is always a problem.

Over the years i've been out groups of friends whose wives can drink as much Prosecco as you can fire at them, but within the group a couple who become possessed and behave out of character after a couple of glasses. One wants to dance, the other wants to fight. The 'sober' dancer creates problems on the dancefloor due to unsteady legs, the fighter mellows as the night goes on.

Edited by Tarquin

I think the drinks package is a total red herring with regards to this incident. I am not saying alcohol was possibly a part of it but nobody knows whether persons involved had a package or had just purchased, if any on a pay as you go.  P&O, Princess and Cunard all do drinks packages but P&O/Cunard only recently and they all have very similar T&Cs the only difference is the per day cost. Princess have done a drinks package for along tome and offer it as a "free" offer on a regular basis to the American market as a Sip n Sail offer when booking and I have done many cruises with Princess and have never seen anyone drunk or any misbehaviour due to alcohol.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I am loathe to veer off-topic, but why-oh-why do people insist on perpetuating the myth that the whole island of Ibiza is filled with unruly drunken tourists? Magaluf - a resort; Benidorm - a resort; Ayia Napa - a resort; Faliraki - a resort. Ibiza is an island of many resorts, and it is beautiful with an unwarranted reputation. Stay clear of San Antonio by all means, but visit Ibiza - you will be surprised. Thank you, rant over.  

1 hour ago, mickrory said:

Aren't the "Butlins Crowd" entitled to go on a cruise holiday?

I bet they spend more money on board than many on here who look down their noses at them.

Good heavens, certainly not in fact they should have a large notice in the terminal “No riff raff Allowed”  They are certainly not the type of persons we want to see cruising.

😡

What  a lot of pompous garbage some people post. (Not your post Mick)

Everyone is allowed holidays and if they want, a cruise. That means on P&O, Celebrity Saga, and Silverseas. 

Edited by daiB

Three things I thought I knew about black tie events on cruises:

• They don't take place at 2AM
  • They don't take place in the buffet
  • They don't take place on the last night of a cruise

Am I wrong on all counts?

Thanks.