Presto2

13 minutes ago, 57eric said:

Three things I thought I knew about black tie events on cruises:

• They don't take place at 2AM
  • They don't take place in the buffet
  • They don't take place on the last night of a cruise

Am I wrong on all counts?

Thanks.

There was no “Event” when the fight took place. The evening before, Thursday, had been a black tie evening. The fight was in the buffet at 02.00 on Friday morning. The ship arrived back in Southampton on Saturday morning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daiB said:

There was no “Event” when the fight took place. The evening before, Thursday, had been a black tie evening. The fight was in the buffet at 02.00 on Friday morning. The ship arrived back in Southampton on Saturday morning.

Thank you.

So, no clown.  No black tie event.  And no competent reporting.

Marella do have some patriotic sailaways On Discovery 2 Transatlantic repositioning cruise April 2018 we had a patriotic sing song led by a trained opera singer on St George's Day and another on the day Prince Louis was born Then when leaving Gibraltar we had another at full volume, which the Gibraltarians lined up to see us leave loved (probably because it annoyed the Spanish) This cruise was all UK cruisers along with a smattering of Irish nationals but there were no complaints and no fights. 

In 46 cruises with Thomson/Marella and 6 with OV/OV2 I've never seen or heard of a fight but I've seen a few loud drunks who thought they were funny but they weren't aggressive just pathetic and mostly ignored. Thomson/Marella offered free drinks packages for booking early for years May this year saw all their ships become all inclusive permanently and on my cruise of a month in April and a week late June saw no bad behaviour at all

I have heard that the Western Med and the Canary Islands cruises which seem to attract younger cruisers (45 and under) have more drinking problems so was really surprised to hear of a fight on a Norwegian cruise which should have been port excursions intensive

Maybe the people involved were those who booked late on a good price deal? When they should have booked a 3 star all inclusive land based holiday

Edited by Vitalsign
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 2:09 PM, anniegb said:

Which cruise lines have patriotic sailaways apart from P&O ??

I don't sail P&O but I have sailed NCL, MSC, HAL, Princess, Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and they don't.

Just asking

Annie

Cunard do, though I suspect you haven't sailed with them either...

1117479565_Sailaway2.jpg.9d3149b59e20b70d76e234b18a7a3110.jpg

1981575153_Sailaway1.jpg.170b6a906e1b0081dc9577328824db07.jpg

Of course it's mostly a British thing and long may it last. It's obviously enjoyed by the majority of passengers judging by the turn-outs: which can hardly be said for the rather dull sail aways experienced on a number of cruise lines you've mentioned.

Maybe its all to do with drink pricing onboard as one never really hears of P&O passengers complain about them as they do on other lines.

😈

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daiB said:

Correct. All down to press sensationalism 

1688167497_BritanniaMirrorFalseReporting.jpg.ded7d1b390921272108f9e1c5d042d30.jpg

One wonders if the 'journalist' who claimed he left his cabin when he heard the 2.00 am broadcast whether he'd have been so keen to attend a 'Code Alpha' down on Fish Deck.

I love P&O. I am a retired NHS professional, I have purchased the drinks package from its introduction and have posted how fed up I am that people think it is just a reason to over imbibe and become abusive. I have never seen a fight on P&O maybe has been one but never seen. 2am in the buffet is not my gig and I suspect few others.

I agree with a way back poster in the 21st century if others were there why were there not pictures to support. Every man and his dog seem to snap away at everything and post on line. Just a thought.

Will it put me off P&O? No way. Would it have done if I had been there at the incident? No not really I worked in the NHS for 35 years, seen much worse as people every day abuse those trying to help them and no not all by any means were fuelled by alcohol. There is a certain strain of person that just defies belief and believe me they are not all from one strata of society. 

It was a shame it occurred and no of course people on their holidays do not want to see this. BUT as usual most of this is conjecture, the journalist report was inaccurate, the exact circumstances have not been proven. It is not just an event happening only on P&O as has been supported by reports by previous posters. P&O isn't perfect, there are some challenging folks on board as there are on other ships. If you feel its not for you then do not sail on them. It suits me and I think many others. I have stated previously I have to spend a lot more than basic fare to tailor it to my needs but I am happy to do so. What if I came across a fight like this? As per my working days my instinct would be to move myself and others away from the brawl to allow the crew to do their job. Get up from my cabin to see what was happening as the journalist allegedly did? Well of course no but it fits with his job description I suppose. If only he had done a better more well researched  and validated job it may not have become the red herring it has.

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Very confusing but here goes Great Britain consists of 3 countries England, Wales and Scotland when classified as the United Kingdom it also includes Northern Ireland. Never call a Scottish or Welsh person English and the same vice versa but we can all be classified as British. England consists of a large area stretching from the south coast i.e Southampton  to Cornwall in the west and as far north as Carlisle and are all classified as in England. Equally Wales is a country part of Great Britain to the west of England and Scotland the furthest North all totally independent but come under either GB or UK. Boy I am confused now where do I live 🤣.

And don't forget Overseas Territories - last year's Miss Universe GB was a lovely lady from Anguilla.  She did us proud.  

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Very confusing but here goes Great Britain consists of 3 countries England, Wales and Scotland when classified as the United Kingdom it also includes Northern Ireland. Never call a Scottish or Welsh person English and the same vice versa but we can all be classified as British. England consists of a large area stretching from the south coast i.e Southampton  to Cornwall in the west and as far north as Carlisle and are all classified as in England. Equally Wales is a country part of Great Britain to the west of England and Scotland the furthest North all totally independent but come under either GB or UK. Boy I am confused now where do I live 🤣.

You must be confused if you think England, Scotland and Wales are "totally independent". These three form Great Britain and the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. What is a shame is that most people refer to England or English etc when they mean Britain or British. 

To strike a more positive note, we’ve got two cruises still booked with P&O for next year - and none of this will make the slightest difference.

We’ve got excellent opening day prices, decent OBC, shareholder OBC on top of that, and I’m hoping the refit’s going to sort out the problems on Azura.

The chances of meeting these ruffians are remote.  I’ll be fast asleep!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

To strike a more positive note, we’ve got two cruises still booked with P&O for next year - and none of this will make the slightest difference.

We’ve got excellent opening day prices, decent OBC, shareholder OBC on top of that, and I’m hoping the refit’s going to sort out the problems on Azura.

We're looking at taking Azura in the Med....what problems are you referring to and when is the refit planned?

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Will it put me off P&O? No way. Would it have done if I had been there at the incident? No not really I worked in the NHS for 35 years, seen much worse as people every day abuse those trying to help them and no not all by any means were fuelled by alcohol. There is a certain strain of person that just defies belief and believe me they are not all from one strata of society. 

I think that this is the best comment I have read regarding the whole incident. Sadly, it is more a reflection of some elements of society and not the overwhelming majority of decent people.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

We're looking at taking Azura in the Med....what problems are you referring to and when is the refit planned?

We were on Azura in April and encountered quite few problems which I'm hoping the planned refit for next April will sort out.  I created a thread, simply setting out the facts, but a certain body of people in here reacted badly to what was deemed negativity, so I'll not repeat the problem issues for fear of upsetting them all over again.  😉

56 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I will be knocking on your door at 2am Harry dressed as a clown with all the other Essex ruffians armed with a trifle😀

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We were on Azura in April and encountered quite few problems which I'm hoping the planned refit for next April will sort out.  I created a thread, simply setting out the facts, but a certain body of people in here reacted badly to what was deemed negativity, so I'll not repeat the problem issues for fear of upsetting them all over again.  😉

Let me set it out for you Harry as you did have genuine complaints.

From memory, no working TV, smelly toilet, tired decor and poor customer service.

You also said the service was fantastic and food was great.

I don't always agree with your opinions or beliefs, but am a big believer in freedom of speech.

Andy

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I will be knocking on your door at 2am Harry dressed as a clown with all the other Essex ruffians armed with a trifle😀

Andy

I shall look forward, Andy, to greeting you warmly with a smile, a dinner suit and a tot or two of whisky.  Please do wear the clown outfit - I've always rather like clowns.  🤡

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Let me set it out for you Harry as you did have genuine complaints.

From memory, no working TV, smelly toilet, tired decor and poor customer service.

You also said the service was fantastic and food was great.

I don't always agree with your opinions or beliefs, but am a big believer in freedom of speech.

Andy

Pretty much as you say, Andy - and I'm hoping the refit will deal with most of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgs1956 said:

You must be confused if you think England, Scotland and Wales are "totally independent". These three form Great Britain and the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. What is a shame is that most people refer to England or English etc when they mean Britain or British. 

That is exactly what I said.

There was a picture in a report of 2 police vans and 4 police cars waiting. But only  2 people were arrested! 🤔🤔🤔

Any truth in the rumour that Brittania had to order an extra pallet of Donuts in after all those Policeman left the boat?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not sure, but it's a little unfair on Butlins - can't recall seeing any reports like this about Butlins. 

Applies more, I think, to the Magaluf/Ibiza/Benidorm louts - though these places are already banning certain types of British tourist because of the behaviour.

P&O should be doing the same, but money talks.

We can expect more of the Butlins crowd...

Minehead is on fire...

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Azura refit due early April 2020 right after the Transatlantic crossing.

• Like 1