Iceland/Ireland 2 concerns

We are considering this cruise on Sept 7, 2020 with Princess, but we have two concerns.

The most important concern, it stops at 4 ports in Iceland Sept 13-16, do we have a good chance of seeing the northern lights? 

Reykhavik, Grundarfjordur, Akureyri and Seydisfjordur.

The other concern is to make it on time to Gatwick Airport to get on the first flight at 11:15am. The next flight is at 13:25pm

The ship docks at 5:00am.  What is the earliest we are allowed to get off the ship using express walk off?

We have taken this train before and it has 17 stops, that's why it takes 2 hrs, but the other option is to book a taxi, but it's on a Monday morning, not sure on the traffic.

Thank you for your advice and if you have been to Iceland during that time in Sept, would love to hear if you were able to see the northen lights.

3 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

The other concern is to make it on time to Gatwick Airport to get on the first flight at 11:15am. The next flight is at 13:25pm

The ship docks at 5:00am.  What is the earliest we are allowed to get off the ship using express walk off?

Can I presume your disembarkation port is Southampton?

(if not, my typing finger has been over-working in vain :classic_wacko:)

Unassisted (haul your own bags from the cabin) is usually at or just before 7am.

(Docking time is pretty irrelevant - though it does mean that the ship can be an hour late & has no impact.)

Quick formalities at that time - probably ten minutes or less from gangway to terminal exit.

On a sunday, a car booked for 7 / 7.15 using the motorway loop (M3/M25/M23) would take about 1hr 40 minutes, getting you to the airport about 9am. So not much wiggle-room.

But at that time on a weekday the drive can take for ever - you'll be mixing it with London commuters & any hold-up as simple as a broken-down truck can create a log-jam.  For that reason many transfer drivers take a cross-country route - slower roads (a little over 2 hrs journey-time) but lots of options in the event of a foul-up - but that leaves almost no wiggle-room.

Since you have the option  of a flight 2 hrs later I'd strongly recommend you take it.

Altho you could then opt for an early assisted-disembarkation slot I'd still  recommend unassisted at 7am

- with a car booked for 07.15.

- or the train (no line for taxis at the cruise port at that time,, 5 minute drive to the station). Choose the  08.09 train (£17 advance ticket) or 09.13 (£12 advance ticket), both are direct services. If you foul-up and miss your train there are later trains which would still get you to LGW in time for your flight, tho advance tickets are only valid for the train that you booked so you'd have to pay the walk-up fare of about £36. Cheap advance tickets only available from about 8 weeks out.

My train info doesn't apply to travel on a sunday.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

SOU to GTW

JB :classic_smile:

I know that the Northern Lights are more frequent in winter, but in Akureyri last August, we were sad to hear that the crew had seen them at 2am. As it wasn't a cruise which promised them, then we weren't woken for the sight.

Northern lights are actually present throughout the year - but very difficult to see if the sky is light which it is all through the summer.

Closer the time you can use the Aurora forecast here http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

This will give you reasonably accurate predictions and an hour's notice.

The Iceland specific forecast tool is here https://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

Better for general guidance - but not as accurate.

• Like 2