Cartegena on your own

arizonaperson

On 2/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, Comi.uy said:

So far our plan is to either go or return by taxi, but not both. I also guess, as we go down the cruise its a good idea to ask arround for people to share a taxi to the walled city.

We are on our honeymoon and our 5th cruise. Also we both speak Spanish so hope its a good defense against aggressive street vendors...

Everything seems so close, not sure about even needing a taxi. We are in our 30's

First, congratulations on your marriage!

Second, do yourself a favor and take a taxi.  Both ways.  It's not a great walk, or a scenic one, and maybe even sketchy in places.  Also, very hot, and very humid.  Don't waste your very limited time.  It's easy to grab a cab there and back.  We just did that last month.  (Earlier in this thread, experienced travelers have advised against walking to and from the cruise terminal.  I agree.)  Use the time you save to check out the very wonderful aviary (and small zoo) at the cruise terminal before you return to the ship. 

As for the street vendors, a firm "No gracias."   

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

First, congratulations on your marriage!

Second, do yourself a favor and take a taxi.  Both ways.  It's not a great walk, or a scenic one, and maybe even sketchy in places.  Also, very hot, and very humid.  Don't waste your very limited time.  It's easy to grab a cab there and back.  We just did that last month.  (Earlier in this thread, experienced travelers have advised against walking to and from the cruise terminal.  I agree.)  Use the time you save to check out the very wonderful aviary (and small zoo) at the cruise terminal before you return to the ship. 

As for the street vendors, a firm "No gracias."   

Ok, we'll probably do that, thanks for the advice and the congratulations.

Since we arrive at 6am, at which time is a good time to go to the old city? when is it too early?

Current plan is probably to get up at 6, have breakfast on the ship and then get to port. Do all activities and have lunch once we're back in the cruise by 2pm.

We are going on a Sunday, wonder if this aviary is even open?  its the "port oasis ecopark" right?

It seem to be free access, they do charge for wifi. I read a review on google maps saying it was closed in December 2019

• 5 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, coldweather said:

Thanks for the great discussion.  Do you recall if there are any restrooms in the walled city? 

We used the restroom / bano in the Juan Valdez coffee shop.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, Comi.uy said:

So far our plan is to either go or return by taxi, but not both. I also guess, as we go down the cruise its a good idea to ask arround for people to share a taxi to the walled city.

We are on our honeymoon and our 5th cruise. Also we both speak Spanish so hope its a good defense against aggressive street vendors.

Current places i've marked to visit

image.png.c050e045fcddce912a517b06c03f62da.png

Everything seems so close, not sure about even needing a taxi. We are in our 30's

Are you successful in doing this? I am coming here next month. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The ship docks in a container port a long hot walk + traffic from anywhere interesting.   Spend the $20 plus tip and take a yellow cab to town and back.  The tourist areas are organized and safe.  Get some Pesos at the exchange window in the port.

• Thanks 1