1st time cruisers...Ventura in 1 week...Advice please

Bashyman

Hi all,

We are a family of 4 (two boys aged 9 and 11). We're set to sail in 7 days for our first cruise on to the canary islands on the Ventura P Deck (12 nights). I have a couple of Q's and if anyone has any good advice.

We've only booked two excursions with P&O, Tenerife-Siam park and Lanzarote-Playa Blanca on your own. We are also docking at Maderia, La Palma and La Coruna. Any advice here?

I've read that you are allowed to bring 1 litre of Alcohol on P&O cruises per adult (is this true for the Ventura). Does this mean I can bring a bottle of Vodka and my wife a bottle of Gin...If so, where should we pack it?

Also, what's the best option for onboard WiFi, have looked and seems a bit confusing. I just want to be able to text a few photo's via whats app and maybe Facebook and check emails.

I've also read on review of Ventura that from May 2019, auto gratuities were made inclusive of the cruise fare...does this mean I don't have to opt in or out like I've read about?

Lastly, it's our 14th wedding anniversary on the 2nd day of sailing...who should I approach to see If I can get a freebie surprise for my wife arranged (I.E.Champagne/flowers) Iglu or P&O? and what's the likely hood? Will they just laugh and say no?

Looking forward to benefiting from all your experience 😉

Edited by Bashyman

Hi

We get off Ventura on the day you get on. You will all have a great time I'm sure.

With the alcohol.. Yes you can take 1L of spirits each on board .. and mixers are a very reasonable price on board.

In our opinion paying for WiFi on board is expensive .. it's usually easy to find somewhere that offers free WiFi ashore .. or use your own data package In port.

With regard to tips you no longer need to worry about this.All cruises from May this year have had this removed.

There will be lots of people on board celebrating all sorts of occasions .. Getting free gifts is unlikely, but it is easy to arrange for champagne or flowers to be arranged the P&O cruise personaliser will give you details of how to do this .. under the heading of little extras.

Have a brilliant family holiday 😁😁

• Like 1

Sorry, forgot to ask. We have 3 formal Black tie nights. Am I able to wear a darkish grey suit and a blue suit? I do have a black suit, but bought the grey and blue suits for the cruise as a change from my normal black.

36 minutes ago, Bashyman said:

Sorry, forgot to ask. We have 3 formal Black tie nights. Am I able to wear a darkish grey suit and a blue suit? I do have a black suit, but bought the grey and blue suits for the cruise as a change from my normal black.

Perfectly fine. Dark suits are ‘required’ but in reality you’ll be OK with any suit, or indeed a jacket and tie if you’re prepared to put up with possible tut tutting from fellow diners.

• Like 1

As previously commented,  probably 50% of the passengers will be celebrating something or other on the cruise, so getting a "freebie" is unrealistic. You could organise a Champagne breakfast, or more simply buy a bottle of champagne and order flowers from the onboard florist.

• Like 2

You have had replies to most of your questions. Alcohol pack in hand luggage, cases are at risk of breakages.

Excursions, can’t help with La Palma. La Coruna, a local company called Hercules Tours do a good morning coach tour with several stops, cheap price too; they pick you up at the dock gates. Or it’s a pleasant town to walk on your own.

Madeira is easy. Take shuttle bus to centre and just wander. The cable car is fun and near centre.

• Like 1

Take the booze in your hand luggage to avoid breakages and your clothes smelling like a distillery...

You can take unlimited mixers if you don't want to buy onboard.

Just remember it is for cabin consumption only.

Have a fantastic time.

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bashyman said:

Hi all,

We are a family of 4 (two boys aged 9 and 11). We're set to sail in 7 days for our first cruise on to the canary islands on the Ventura P Deck (12 nights). I have a couple of Q's and if anyone has any good advice.

We've only booked two excursions with P&O, Tenerife-Siam park and Lanzarote-Playa Blanca on your own. We are also docking at Maderia, La Palma and La Coruna. Any advice here?

I've read that you are allowed to bring 1 litre of Alcohol on P&O cruises per adult (is this true for the Ventura). Does this mean I can bring a bottle of Vodka and my wife a bottle of Gin...If so, where should we pack it?

Also, what's the best option for onboard WiFi, have looked and seems a bit confusing. I just want to be able to text a few photo's via whats app and maybe Facebook and check emails.

I've also read on review of Ventura that from May 2019, auto gratuities were made inclusive of the cruise fare...does this mean I don't have to opt in or out like I've read about?

Lastly, it's our 14th wedding anniversary on the 2nd day of sailing...who should I approach to see If I can get a freebie surprise for my wife arranged (I.E.Champagne/flowers) Iglu or P&O? and what's the likely hood? Will they just laugh and say no?

Looking forward to benefiting from all your experience 😉

Always carry your bottles in your hand luggage,1 bottle each adult only when getting on the ship.

We use EE and when we have a land based signal our contract allows unlimited calls and texts and data in our allowance so check with your phone provider.

WhatsApp is great for sending photos 

Be careful though that you don't connect to a maritime signal as this is expensive.

Autogratuities are now included but if anyone gives you excellent service feel free to give them a little cash tip.

£sterling is the currency on board but all your charges will go onto your seapass and final bill to your card company or you can settle in cash at Guest Services.

The 2 tours you have picked are a great choice and the other ports you can explore on foot.

Make sure you get back on board ship in plenty of time or the ship will sail without you.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise,this is a great itinerary.

• Like 1

Hi

I have not yet been on my first P and O cruise.  I am reading posts to learn more.  However, if you want advice about how to spend time in ports without going on cruise ship tours, your best source of information would be the ports of call boards.  Lots of folk share their experience of different ports.  You can ask about how to spend the day with kids in the ports you mention.  

One tip that I would give you is to make sure that when you leave the ship you have your swimwear and a small towel with you (I take one of those very thin sports ones - the sun will do the hard work).  I have cruised the Western Med numerous times and it never ceases to amaze me that people come off the ship ill prepared for beaches - and children are having to bathe in their underwear.   

If you are planning your own day out - you need to keep your eye on your watch.  But then again you also need to if you are on an organised trip that allows you a portion of 'on your own' time.  Always make sure to plan to be back on board at least an hour before sail away.  

• Like 1

Unless you find a trip which appeals there isn't much for children in Madeira.

There are man made beaches near the port, otherwise get a taxi to the Lido near Funchal where this a pool or you can do some sea swimming.

• Like 1

You will have a great time.

Switch your phone's to airplane mode/ roaming off when your board and only go onto mobile data when in a European port as this should be included in your mobile package. Make sure that your children don't click onto the ships WiFi as very expensive.

• Like 1

Maderia is a great port for children there is a lot of art/graffiti art at the docks that is done by crews of visiting ships.

The streets in port are steep but lots of interesting things to see (get a Google map). There are parks to have a walk or run around in.

The cable car is fun and if you're all brave you can come down in a wicker basket sort of sleigh ride. But watch a few before deciding!   As mentioned above the streets are steep so it's an adrenaline rush getting down the hill in a basket 😁

• Like 1

Palma has some beaches close to the ports/centre.

Take water and a beach towel.

If your children are interested in history (some are) then there's lots of interesting buildings to see wandering around the town.

Our children will only put up with so much culture so a beach trip is our plan for a couple of Mediterranean port's.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cabin4three said:

Maderia is a great port for children there is a lot of art/graffiti art at the docks that is done by crews of visiting ships.

The streets in port are steep but lots of interesting things to see (get a Google map). There are parks to have a walk or run around in.

The cable car is fun and if you're all brave you can come down in a wicker basket sort of sleigh ride. But watch a few before deciding!   As mentioned above the streets are steep so it's an adrenaline rush getting down the hill in a basket 😁

Another vote for the cable car and gondola ride back down the hill. We have done it three times now because our daughters love it. You can do it independently but getting from where the gondola ride stops back down into central Funchal is a bit of a slog.

I would recommend the ship excursion which as well as the cable car and gondola includes a visit to the top of the mountain where you can look down onto the ship in the habour. There is also a little cafe up there which is very child friendly and serves delicious Portuguese tarts. You then go back into Funchal for a well deserved adult orientated visit to Blandeys Madeira winery where you get to sample the fare.

Julia

• Like 1

That's all great advice. Can anyone also shed some light on whether the litre each of spirits we bring has to be sealed? My wife has just opened a bottle of Gin and I want to avoid buying another already 😉

La Coruna -- love, love, love it. There is a coastal headland walk which is lovely but your children may get fed up! There is a tower though which is brilliant and their version of a 'sea life centre' not far from the headland which is easy to do on your own.

If your children are up for a good walk then the headland walk is well worth it and you will see loads.

There is also an beautiful beach not far from the ship. It is well worth the walk there.

One of our favourite places

Have a great time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bashyman said:

That's all great advice. Can anyone also shed some light on whether the litre each of spirits we bring has to be sealed? My wife has just opened a bottle of Gin and I want to avoid buying another already 😉

Part bottles are fine up to 1 litre each.

Andy

• Like 1

Here are some of our plans:

La Palma: We walk to Bajamar beach which is in the bay opposite the ship's berth (about a 30 min stroll). You can see it from where the ship docks. It doesn't look very attractive because of the black volcanic sand and industrial buildings nearby, but it's clean and safe. Despite being near the port the water is crystal clear. There are toilets, showers and a snack bar. One thing to bear in mind is that the black (dry) sand can be scorching hot so flip flops are essential (even for walking down for a paddle). I still remember having to put my trainers on just to walk down to the water for a dip!

Funchal (Madeira): We once took a very expensive taxi ride to Acquaparque which was great but it is a long way from the centre. This year we plan to try find the Lido Swimming Complex which looks nearer.

A Coruña: We are taking our son to the science museum Casa de las Ciencias http://www.coruna.gal/mc2/es/casa-de-las-ciencias

It's not too far to walk to, is relatively inexpensive (adults €2 & kids under 4 free) & there is plenty to see & do. If your boys like football the Riazor Stadium (Deportivo de La Coruña) is not far from there, close to a beach and surrounded by bars and cafes. After the museum we'll be heading to Praza de España for some tapas at our favourite restaurant Pulperia de Melide .

Good luck with your plans and have a great cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bashyman said:

Cheers Damian...you too

You are welcome! By the way, if you do get to Bajamar beach in La Palma you will easily spot your fellow passengers as we will all be using the ships blue beach towels (no need to bring your own from home).

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 4:01 PM, DamianG said:

Here are some of our plans:

La Palma: We walk to Bajamar beach which is in the bay opposite the ship's berth (about a 30 min stroll). You can see it from where the ship docks. It doesn't look very attractive because of the black volcanic sand and industrial buildings nearby, but it's clean and safe. Despite being near the port the water is crystal clear. There are toilets, showers and a snack bar. One thing to bear in mind is that the black (dry) sand can be scorching hot so flip flops are essential (even for walking down for a paddle). I still remember having to put my trainers on just to walk down to the water for a dip!

Funchal (Madeira): We once took a very expensive taxi ride to Acquaparque which was great but it is a long way from the centre. This year we plan to try find the Lido Swimming Complex which looks nearer.

A Coruña: We are taking our son to the science museum Casa de las Ciencias http://www.coruna.gal/mc2/es/casa-de-las-ciencias

It's not too far to walk to, is relatively inexpensive (adults €2 & kids under 4 free) & there is plenty to see & do. If your boys like football the Riazor Stadium (Deportivo de La Coruña) is not far from there, close to a beach and surrounded by bars and cafes. After the museum we'll be heading to Praza de España for some tapas at our favourite restaurant Pulperia de Melide .

Good luck with your plans and have a great cruise.

Have looked at the science museum and looks good. Have you been there before? Is it all in Spanish?

2 hours ago, Bashyman said:

Have looked at the science museum and looks good. Have you been there before? Is it all in Spanish?

I think the descriptions were all in Spanish back in 2012 when we last visited. A lot of the exhibits were interactive and easy enough to work out.

Spain & France 2012 004.JPG

Spain & France 2012 005.JPG

Spain & France 2012 008.JPG