Duck hiding on ship???

Msmojo66

On roll call and someone posted about duck hiding on ship.  This is new to me and they didn't respond.  Does anyone know about this???  I'm sailing to Alaska with 2 almost 12 yr olds and if it's a thing, surely they would enjoy it.  

Thank you in advance!!!

• Like 1

I’d never heard of it, but if you just google “cruising ducks” then you will find out.

It seems it isn’t an NCL thing, more of a general cruising thing. I’d not come across it or heard of it before you posted though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Let me get this thing right: So eh.. we ban plastic straws but we fill up cruise ships with hiding our unnecessary rubber ducks, for the fun of it? :classic_mellow: 

It is mainly the shape of plastic straws that contributes to damage of marine life...or at least I have read that.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Let me get this thing right: So eh.. we ban plastic straws but we fill up cruise ships with hiding our unnecessary rubber ducks, for the fun of it? :classic_mellow: 

Plastic straws are banned because they end up in the ocean. The rubber ducks are either re-hidden or taken home as collectibles. 

Bob

• Like 5

16 hours ago, xbatt8 said:

Plastic straws are banned because they end up in the ocean. The rubber ducks are either re-hidden or taken home as collectibles. 

Bob

Not if I find one.  😁

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:17 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Is anything okay?🙄

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 2:01 AM, Msmojo66 said:

On roll call and someone posted about duck hiding on ship.  This is new to me and they didn't respond.  Does anyone know about this???  I'm sailing to Alaska with 2 almost 12 yr olds and if it's a thing, surely they would enjoy it.  

Thank you in advance!!!

There is actually an NCL FB group: Norwegian Cruising Ducks. You can see who is hiding when and on what ship.A nd as Daveycoopa mentioned, there's the original page that gives ideas and such.

• Like 1

OK......maybe I'm a curmudgeon, but I am not of the mind to go hiding or searching rubber ducks when I cruise.  But, if that's your thing, have at it.

This reminds me of someone a couple of years ago who wanted to wear one of those T-Rex costumes and parade around on board.  At first, maybe kinda cute.  But, the more people suggested what a PITA that would be for another cruisers, around the pools, in the elevators, going through the Garden Cafe (which were places the T-Rex person wanted to go), it became a terrible idea.  Hopefully, they didn't actually do that.

Now, if you're hiding real ducks, now you have peaked my interest.  That would be interesting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK......maybe I'm a curmudgeon, but I am not of the mind to go hiding or searching rubber ducks when I cruise.  But, if that's your thing, have at it.

Maybe people are trying to make up for the emotional pain of not having towel animals at night anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

37 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think sometimes people worry they might be bored on a cruise. Lately there are more and more people organizing their own things, as if they have tons of dead time to fill.

• Like 2

On topic: Celebrity did a digital scavenger hunt on Infinity last month, kids and parents with their cell phones (making photos as proof) posing at given places around the ship, seemed fun enough. Not a single duck was involved and no plastic. :classic_tongue:

Perhaps some ducks might not end up in the water, they will end up in the trash after all. So again, not sure how a teen thing goes well with on board measures taken to protect the environment. One also has to consider cruise lines like their public venues more without any semi hidden plastic ducks.

My vote is a no, I'm sorry. :classic_blush:

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

On topic: Celebrity did a digital scavenger hunt on Infinity last month, kids and parents with their cell phones (making photos as proof) posing at given places around the ship, seemed fun enough. Not a single duck was involved and no plastic. :classic_tongue:

The kids club on NCL has done scavenger hunts for many years. Adults will complain about the kids "running wild" unsupervised, when actually they are participating in an organized activity.

• Like 1