10:30 pm flight home/Singapore/what to do all day

compozer

We will be on a b2b cruise and have a 10:30 pm flight home in December.    We like to fly Delta and it is either 10:30pm or wait until 2:30 am the next morning.   The ship has an excursion from 8 to 2:30 but that is a little too early to arrive at the airport.    Our first cruise ends in Singapore so we will have that day to explore - no plans yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

We also have a late flight (10:40 pm on United) from Changi in February. Our current plans are to leave our luggage at the airport and go back into Singapore. Unfortunately, United doesn’t participate, currently, in the airport’s early checkin program so we’ll have to leave our luggage at one of the Left Baggage counters for the day. We’re arriving a day early for our cruise and touring around then so we’re hoping to hit some of the spots we didn’t get to see while waiting for our flight back home.

Jojiboy,   Thanks for the reply.   Leaving it at the airport, if possible sounds good.          I need to make a list.    First check and see how far away the airport is.   Then, if we can check in our luggage - doubt we can check it in so early.   Will have to see what is available for storage.    I wish the excursion from the ship lasted a few hours longer.  We did that in Sothampton and the luggage was safe under the bus while we made three stops.

You’re welcome. Here’s a link to check if your airline participates in Changi early checkin program: http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/departing/checking-in/early-check-in.html.

Here’s info on the Left Baggage service: http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/baggage-storage.html

Airport to central Singapore by taxi is about 30 minutes give or take. We’ve even thought of visiting Universal Studios Singapore on Sentosa for the day.

Edited by Jojiboy

Changi Airport is a destination in its own right with a cinema, fountains, tropical gardens, butterfly garden plus some very nice lounges. we had a 6 hour layover one trip and the time flew by.

• Like 1

Catchum, 

I started looking at the airport's website last night.   Wow - lots to do.   Maybe getting there at 2:30 is not that bad of a thing.      Does anyone know how far ahead you can check in for a Delta flight?   We will have four large suitcases besides our carry on.  Would love to get them checked in and not have to worry about them.

22 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

unfortunately, at least at this time, Delta only opens up baggage check in 3 hours before the flight- there are some other airlines that allow baggage check in much earlier .

That is what I was afraid of.  

and you are not supposed to go through security until you are ready to fly- looked at storing bags and being able to see the airside sites and then going back to retrieve bags when they could be checked in, but apparently that is not legal. There are supposed to be a lot of sites landside in the new Jewel Changi, so you could store the bags and see those and then retrieve them when Delta opens for baggage check in and go airside.

For consideration, depending on what activities you do before you head to the airport:

1) I have read that some hotels will hold your luggage for a nominal fee/ tip. The finesse is knowing which one in advance!

2) At the airport there are showers for a very nominal charge ($12 pp). As well as other options including a separate place with foot massages ( but did not see the prices)

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-guide/facilities-and-services/pay-per-use-lounges.html#t1

3) also, if you google it, there are photos of public chairs that people sleep in. Some look very comfy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did check out some of the storage facilities.   Since we will have 4 large bags and two carry ons.  It will be over $100 to store them.   And depending where they are located, taxi costs to and from.    So I am wondering if we should find some all day tour that has room for all of our things.   Besides the cruise bus excursion that would get us to the airport so early, maybe we can find another company that does a longer tour.

We are flying business class and also are able to use the lounges thru our Plat Amex card.   But many of the lounges have 3 - 4 hour limits so that doesn't help when getting there so early.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I suppose I cold look into a day hotel.  Maybe as much or less than the luggage storage

Looking at the link in post 4 the storage is at the terminal large bags are 18 SGD and small ones 10 SGD so a cost of less than $70 USD.

Once you have dropped your bags you can get the MRT to anywhere in Singapore you want to go.

Our experience is that 4 hours in a lounge is actually plenty long enough though possibly because just one more one  glass of wine is  calling to us. In fact I have never been asked to leave a lounge even when we have overstayed a little.

72 for the 4 large ones and 20 for the small ones plus transportation back and forth will be over $100.   No idea how much hotels cost.     I just called several that are located at the airport and they said they do not have a rate for day stays.   I have had more luck when I email the property but will do that at a later date.         

I don't mind four hours in the lounge either and we have never been asked to leave but I can't remember if I ever noticed any signs saying there was a limit.

Depending on which cruise terminal you are arriving at in Singapore there is a Left Baggage Service which allows you to drop off your luggage after you get off your cruise and they will deliver it to the airport at a prearranged time.  It is only available for the Marina Bay terminal unfortunately.   

Check the cruise terminal website for information and prices. We were going to use it but our cruise arrived at the other terminal.  

On 7/28/2019 at 3:06 PM, compozer said:

We will be on a b2b cruise and have a 10:30 pm flight home in December.    We like to fly Delta and it is either 10:30pm or wait until 2:30 am the next morning.   The ship has an excursion from 8 to 2:30 but that is a little too early to arrive at the airport.    Our first cruise ends in Singapore so we will have that day to explore - no plans yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

When we disembarked in Singapore, with similar late night flights to yourselves, and having visited Singapore  at least twice the previous year, we decided to take a Club Day Room at the Changi Crowne Plaza Hotel.

It proved an excellent option particularly after two weeks at sea.

I mentioned the hotel in my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/11/04/star-clipper-java-sea-limited-edition-cruise/

...you just need to scroll down to the end for a couple of photographs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the good ideas...we were wondering what to do after our cruise and our Emirates flight does not leave until late in the day. Wish we could walk around and enjoy the attractions of this beautiful airport, but not until check in which is 3 hours prior to departure...what a shame....was looking forward to seeing it.

So I guess, its checking our luggage and finding a tour or a really comfortable place to relax and read my book.,although my husband would go absolutely crazy waiting 😞

On 8/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, ceemacon said:

Unfortunately you won't be able to fly Delta out of Singapore this December - they are pulling out of the city in September.

I was fortunate to be able to change my January 2020 Delta flight from Singapore to a Korean Air flight.  Delta has not formally notified anyone about the change yet and I am afraid that a lot of folks are going to be in for a unwelcome surprise.  I was on the phone for an hour last week trying to get a new flight.