Firstly thank you for offering to answer some of our questions. 

I have quite a controversial topic to raise and that is around evening chic nights. I know the cruise industry is trying to keep up to date and appeal to a wider market nowadays, but the removal of formal nights is a shame from my point of view. I know many other people will have a different views on this matter, but we really like dressing up and we liked it when cruising was more formal than it is now. Is there an any plan to bring back formal nights on Celebrity?

We do miss formal nights on celebrity and find the dress code is very mixed on the other smart casual nights with some passengers in smart clothes and others in more daytime attire in the main dining room. We find when other passengers don’t dress for dinner, this ruins the ambience of the evening. I don’t know what other people’s thoughts are on this?

Thank you

• Like 5

I am about to cruise Celebrity for the first time and I think the evening chic is a bit odd. It’s formal or it’s not. I typically cruise another line and they have “semi formal” and “formal” and the rest is “cruise casual”. I like this format. It actually makes packing easier and people enjoy dressing up!  Evening chic is basically “wear whatever you want”. It’s too grey.  Still going to pack formal and semi formal. It seems wrong otherwise. I also don’t think jeans belong in the dining room, but that’s just me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Nope, it’s perfect the way it is. Love Chic night. Formal is not coming back. 

Agree. With airline baggage limitations glad we don't have to worry about packing formal clothes and accessories.

• Like 6

YES!!! Bring back Formal night. I have started to sail on Cunard just for the traditional feel of a Cruise the way it used to be. I don't buy into the notion that it takes more baggage. It just takes a Jacket and Slacks for a man, one nice Gown for the ladies. It really does not take an extra bag. The Celebrity ships used to take on a totally different feel on Formal Night. Everyone looked to so fine. Bring it back.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

No one is saying you cannot dress in tuxes and ballgowns. This just gives people the OPTION. Which is cool. No one is going to stop you and say “You cannot wear your tux and gown.”

You do you.

No one is going to stop you on NCL either. I can wear a tux or a tank top: my choice.

35 minutes ago, Mojogurued said:

No one is going to stop you on NCL either. I can wear a tux or a tank top: my choice.

I wouldn’t know. I have not cruised them yet - will be on POA in 2021. Probably the only time I will cruise NCL to be honest - only doing that one because Hawaii.

I was making the comment in general because (and we get the same thing on Disney forums) people seem to have this idea that just because something does not say “formal” they cannot wear formalwear.

• Like 1

I like evening chic. The new way of cruising with anytime dining, multiple restaurant venues, multiple events happening, and a lot more passengers is not conducive to a formal event. 30yrs ago everyone dressed up on formal night for the entire evening, even on lines like Carnival. On Celebrity you have multi eating venues and the only one that required formal dress was the MDR. Luminae and Blu are smart causal every night so it doesn't make sense to enforce formal wear in the MDR.  

• Like 2

I always enjoyed formal nights and have a closet full of formal wear but can appreciate that many don't care to go all the way to formal.  In my opinion it really has gone too far the other way. I think the problem could be easily solved to make everyone happy. Chic evenings should be no jeans, shorts, flip flops or tee shirts and maybe people could still be casual enough to suit their desires and the people who enjoy a more formal experience for a couple of evenings could wear their attire without looking out of place. It's a much more sensible compromise. You wanted people to be "chic" and then made sure that many would come to dinner looking anything but.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:39 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I wouldn’t know. I have not cruised them yet - will be on POA in 2021. Probably the only time I will cruise NCL to be honest - only doing that one because Hawaii.

I was making the comment in general because (and we get the same thing on Disney forums) people seem to have this idea that just because something does not say “formal” they cannot wear formalwear.

Of course people can wear their formal clothing but if everyone else looks like they're going to McDonald's for dinner they might feel a little out of place.

• Like 1

Just now, Ma Bell said:

I always enjoyed formal nights and have a closet full of formal wear but can appreciate that many don't care to go all the way to formal.  In my opinion it really has gone too far the other way. I think the problem could be easily solved to make everyone happy. Chic evenings should be no jeans, shorts, flip flops or tee shirts and maybe people could still be casual enough to suit their desires and the people who enjoy a more formal experience for a couple of evenings could wear their attire without looking out of place. It's a much more sensible compromise. You wanted people to be "chic" and then made sure that many would come to dinner looking anything but.

Thanks for your reply. What do you think about enforcement of no jeans, flip flops, shorts, t-shirts on every night? Personally I think this should be the case. I don’t expect people to be super dressy but I think it’s nice for people to put on something slightly smarter to go to dinner than what they were wearing to lounge round the ship in during the day.  

3 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks for your reply. What do you think about enforcement of no jeans, flip flops, shorts, t-shirts on every night? Personally I think this should be the case. I don’t expect people to be super dressy but I think it’s nice for people to put on something slightly smarter to go to dinner than what they were wearing to lounge round the ship in during the day.  

I would like that but a lot of people wouldn't so unfortunately I think that's a losing battle for now. That used to be a minimum standard and it wasn't a problem but there are a lot of people who seem to think jeans are comfortable and can't do without them. Personally, I think they're the most uncomfortable clothing I own.

Just now, Ma Bell said:

I would like that but a lot of people wouldn't so unfortunately I think that's a losing battle for now. That used to be a minimum standard and it wasn't a problem but there are a lot of people who seem to think jeans are comfortable and can't do without them. Personally, I think they're the most uncomfortable clothing I own.

Agreed I think it’s a losing battle. To be honest though I’ve only seen people wear t shirts with logos on once in the main dining room and that was a cruise out of Italy in school holidays with a lot of Italian families on board, most of the time I think people are generally smart in the MDR. I wouldn’t like it though if I’d come down to dinner in a nice dress and I was sat next to someone in jeans and t shirt as I might feel a little uncomfortable.

Whatever the standard is, make it black and white, and then enforce the blasted thing. So that we don't have to deal with everyone trying to stretch the rule until it means nothing.

Reward crew members who enforce rules, whether it be chair-saving, dinner attire,  or smuggled booze. Don't let them be hostage to survey results!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Whatever the standard is, make it black and white, and then enforce the blasted thing. So that we don't have to deal with everyone trying to stretch the rule until it means nothing.

Reward crew members who enforce rules, whether it be chair-saving, dinner attire,  or smuggled booze. Don't let them be hostage to survey results!

Seconded!

Hello everyone! 

Guests have given wonderful feedback about Evening Chic nights, as we want them to enjoy dressing up while not feeling "stuffy." This is our modern luxury twist on formal nights and of course, if you'd like to dress more formally, you are welcome to do so! 

Have a great day, thank you for your question.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I personally dislike formal night and usually stay in the buffet etc on those nights.  We travel very light and while I take a dressy top or two I gave up on formal a long time ago. One suggestion though, because there are those who LOVE formal and really want the experience - why not set aside an area and restaurant for those who wish to be formal?  People could even book so you know the numbers.  They can all enjoy a similar evening with no jeans to be seen!  Surely that could be done?   

• Like 1