Let's all thank (with sarcasm) the airline industry for clamping down on tougher baggage allowances and making us all think horrible thoughts about saving weight from adding suits and gown evening wear and saving it for gifts in various ports.

THAT is the best example of the reason people are going casual nowadays. We dragged our formal wear with us this last time and deeply regretted doing so as our MDR population clearly weren't dressed up either...so for next year's cruise, we will not be cooperating with formal evenings.

Edited by johnjen
forgot to add details

On 8/3/2019 at 6:32 PM, Ma Bell said:

I always enjoyed formal nights and have a closet full of formal wear but can appreciate that many don't care to go all the way to formal.  In my opinion it really has gone too far the other way. I think the problem could be easily solved to make everyone happy. Chic evenings should be no jeans, shorts, flip flops or tee shirts and maybe people could still be casual enough to suit their desires and the people who enjoy a more formal experience for a couple of evenings could wear their attire without looking out of place. It's a much more sensible compromise. You wanted people to be "chic" and then made sure that many would come to dinner looking anything but.

Surely those who dress up more will stand out from the crowd. I thought that was the whole point of dressing up, showing off in your finery?

If everyone dresses up you’ll just be lost in the crowd. 

Edited by Highpeaklad
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

Surely those who dress up more will stand out from the crowd. I thought that was the whole point of dressing up, showing off in your finery?

If everyone dresses up you’ll just be lost in the crowd. 

What does this have to do with what I said?

Missing formal nights. We dress up in tux and cocktail or long dress for evening chic and compliment others who do the same. For us it is not about standing out but dressing up for formal night just adds to the ambience of the cruise. We are happy to pack everything when we leave from Europe for our annual Caribbean cruise.