Packing cubes

Debbdo

1 minute ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I watched the video. It shows basically how I packed befroe using packing cubes and rolling things, and organizing like things together. I much prefer packing cubes probably becasue I like being organized, but to each their own. Whatever works for you!

It's not for me either, I much prefer packing cubes, but to each their own. 

• Like 2

I do the method of the video in cubes.

All my drawers are KonMari method. I pack my packing cubes the same way. All my cubes are "file folder" style...everything is packed in one layer in such a way as to see everything that is in the cube. With the cubes, I tightly pack things that I don't worry about condition, things like underwear, socks, activewear. And then my folded shirts and pants and things can be packed with a bit more breathing room.

I've been subjected to too many searches of my luggage. After dealing with a rather invasion search (and messy, for which the TSA agent had no qualms about leaving me to deal with) when DS was a bucket baby...about 18 years ago...I never again packed my clothing loose in a suitcase. Prior to investing in cubes...I used resealable style plastic bags. I much prefer the cubes but will still bring extra plastic bags for things like swimsuits at the end of the trip.

I always try to not have to make any adjustments to my packed suitcase but usually, there is something that I need to change out, or add. I have found the cubes to be such a blessing for me at that time. It takes a while to pack items into the cubes, but it takes literal seconds to unpack and pack the cubes into and out of luggage. The bundle method I previously used (laying long things that pants and maxi skirts/dresses along the bottom layer of the suitcase and then folded items on top and basically wrapping the long items onto the top of the folded items) was a serious PITA to adjust and/or dig through with multi-stop travel.

Whatever personal packing method works best is the best one for each individual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Can you explain this system? Do you mean bundle each outfit together? And if so, what about the pants/shorts that I will wear more than once? Fold 2 shirts with one pair of shorts/pants? And what about "this shirt goes with this skirt, this pair of shorts and I can wear it with this pair of capri pants." How do you pack that kind of stuff?

This is the method I use when when I bundle.   I usually use this if I we are only going to be staying a day or two beforehand at our friend's home before leaving for our cruise.  I've been packing in a carry on for about 10 years now and I really prefer it.  I just pick out what I'm going to wear and bundle it.

6 hours ago, Debbdo said:

I use Marie Kondo's method of folding, not necessarily her way of putting clothing in her bag.  Certainly all methods will work, but I prefer the Marie Kondo method of folding because I was able to take more (the folded clothing was our trip to the Panama Canal).  As was said, everyone has their preferences, but because we usually have more than one stop now, this one works the best for me.

bundled.jpg

mybag_zpsxaid2b4a.JPG

IMG_0808.jpg

Edited by islandgirlejfan

45 minutes ago, islandgirlejfan said:

This is the method I use when when I bundle.

This is the method I used to use before a TSA agent completely destroyed it by pulling everything out flat and shifting all the clothes while rifling through the layers...and then leaving it in a disordered mess with an apologetic smile and "You're good to go now" as I looked at his in disbelief. It's a good method.

14 minutes ago, islandgirlejfan said:

I prefer the Marie Kondo method of folding

I love the KonMari folding method!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I watched the video. It shows basically how I packed befroe using packing cubes and rolling things, and organizing like things together. I much prefer packing cubes probably becasue I like being organized, but to each their own. Whatever works for you!

I always feel very organized because I have a plan before I start packing. Also, there is something satisfying in looking at a full suitcase with all my clothes neatly folded in it. :classic_cool:

The way I do it is different from all the rolling/bundling methods -- it does take some time but it achieves my goals of 1) allowing me to pack as much as possible in a smaller bag and 2) allowing my clothes to arrive in good shape, minus wrinkles. 

I would never leave my clothes in cubes when I get to my destination. Almost everything except underwear, shoes and make-up gets hung up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

there is something satisfying in looking at a full suitcase with all my clothes neatly folded in it. :classic_cool:

There is something very satisfying about seeing everything you “need” for life for the next limited amount of time all packed up nicely in a manageable portable “bag.” I think preferred packing styles can also be related to how you store clothes at home. The majority of my clothes are in drawers...I don’t hang much.

8 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

There is something very satisfying about seeing everything you “need” for life for the next limited amount of time all packed up nicely in a manageable portable “bag.” I think preferred packing styles can also be related to how you store clothes at home. The majority of my clothes are in drawers...I don’t hang much.

I like to hang most of my clothing at home and while away.  Underclothes and  socks stay in my cube while on a cruise and are placed in a draw or on a shelve. The rest in on a hanger.

At home I don't use the cubes but I hang most of my clothing,

.  Some blouses, tee shirts sweaters don't get hung up.  

I really like the packing cubes for vacations, but only if I am not flying.  I have had luggage get wet on the tarmac several times now, so I prefer packing all my clothing in the 2 1/2 gallon plastic zipper bags.  I guess I could put my clothes in the packing cubes and then put plastic over them, but that seems a bit too time consuming.  Anyway, until you have experienced wet suitcases, the packing cubes are fine.

11 hours ago, cruiselover** said:

I really like the packing cubes for vacations, but only if I am not flying.  I have had luggage get wet on the tarmac several times now, so I prefer packing all my clothing in the 2 1/2 gallon plastic zipper bags.  I guess I could put my clothes in the packing cubes and then put plastic over them, but that seems a bit too time consuming.  Anyway, until you have experienced wet suitcases, the packing cubes are fine.

I lint the suit case with large hefty bags.  Keeps things dry.

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2019 at 11:36 AM, slidergirl said:

Odd duck 😉

I'm now packing for a little camping trip - cubes are going into my new SHERPANI Oslo pack!!!   A little easier to keep the pack neat when I'm rummaging through it with just a little light, looking for something.   I may look like a slob with my camping clothes on, but I'll be styling with my Sherpani 😉

they worked great again for me.  In one side of the pack, I had 2 cubes, one with my pants and leggings and one with my shirts.  In the other side, my toiletries bag, a long cube with socks, undies and the extra bra, and a medium cube with a scarf, a Buff, 2 bandanas, a belt.  And an extra cube to put dirty socks and undies in to keep them separate.  I use the Eagle Creek Specter series bags - no hard edges and extremely light.  They take whatever shape I shove them into in the bag.  It did help because I had to keep everything in the bag because my tent is definitely NOT big enough to have anything strewn about!!

Funny you brought this thread to the top again. I'm recently back from a 12-day (10 nights on the ground) bus tour through Central Europe. Two nights each in five cities! It was exhausting. A river cruise was sure looking good by about the halfway mark!

Anyway, those cheap-but-large-enough packing cubes saved the trip! I packed one pant/two tops/a synthetic undershirt in each of three large cubes for my husband and about the same for myself in the medium cubes (my knits pack smaller than his cargo pants). Then I packed half-each of our socks and undies in four different color small cubes, and his PJs in two extra-small cubes (my nighties went in my small cubes). Then I cross-packed in our two roll-aboards. Which weighed in at 17.5lb apiece.

Fortunately FinnAir did not weigh nor include our daypacks in the EIGHT-KILOGRAM allowance for carryon. I did have a plan (and a collapsible tote to make it work) if they had. The cheap eBay-from-China packing cubes worked a charm! The secret was my exhaustive packing list with everything listed per size-and-color cube. I truly did not have to unpack and re-pack anywhere along the way, a first in that regard.

I don't see packing cubes as so necessary for cruises (my trick for cruise packing is roll-folding shirts and tunics already on wire hangers!), but for multi-destination road trips they are priceless! 

• Like 2

I use clear ziploc bags. On the past couple trips/non-cruise I took, I considered what I wanted to wear and packed that days wear into a ziploc bag...easy and less decision making when I wanted to be out touring around.

I realized my August post was about a 3-day camping trip with my "old hippie ladies" friends, but my new reply was about the 10 day camping trip I just returned from.  Same Sherpani bag, though.  

I like the cubes.  Unlike "ziplock" bags, they breathe - something important in certain climates. They keep me organized when I travel as I am normally the LEAST organized person in real life.  I can never find something in my house or my offices or my computer quickly.  At least I can find my undies fast in a bag...

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

@hi2you I used ziploc bags, including some BigBags that ziploc was (apparently) test marketing in our area at the time -- on our first transAtlantic. I think, for one thing, I had read a story of someone's suitcase falling off the bin into the water while being loaded onto the ship! The other was I didn't have many packing aids at the time, just a single old-style eagle creek and a "folder".

The experience with the ziplocs was probably behind my getting a few sets of Chinese/eBay packing cubes which I have used mostly for undies and other soft-stuff, until I got the ones big enough for DH's cargo pants. 

Those worked so well on this past land trip that I bit the bullet and obtained the Eagle Creek Specter Tech cubes in all three colors and the sizes correlating with what I used last month. We try to travel carryon only and some of the carriers are enforcing draconian weight limits, like 8- and 10-kg per person! The difference in the weight of Specter Tech and the ones from eBay is a pound and a half total, or easily another shirt apiece. The Specter line is even lighter, but the zippers don't open as flat (more like a pouch), so I only have one for socks/undies, which also lets there be four different small-sized.

ETA: Eagle Creek thinks alot of their products! I did get all four colors of 4-each sets of the eBay cubes, with the larger large size, for under the cost of one set of EC's Specter Tech. So if every ounce isn't important (like, for checked bags?) -- the price is right.

Edited by crystalspin

My recent trip to Scotland was the first time I had used packing cubes.  I am a complete convert!  It was dead easy to find all of my stuff, and I didn't lose things in the bottom of the suitcase. (Which frequently happens when I'm on long land trips.)  The only things that were packed loose were the shawl and throws I bought at a cashmere mill - and they are totally worth the space they took up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

My recent trip to Scotland was the first time I had used packing cubes.  I am a complete convert!  It was dead easy to find all of my stuff, and I didn't lose things in the bottom of the suitcase. (Which frequently happens when I'm on long land trips.)  The only things that were packed loose were the shawl and throws I bought at a cashmere mill - and they are totally worth the space they took up!

I'm trying to remember if it was you or someone else who loved them for a land trip but didn't really see their value on a cruise where you unpack once.  I'm getting interested in them.  🙂

I'm fresh-back from a land (bus) trip where packing cubes saved the day like Biz-mom described. I'm thinking for a cruise, I would not use the larger cubes, but just pack the trousers in a stack and the shirts roll-folded on wire hangers... but put the "smalls" (undies and socks et al) in their smaller cubes which could be plunked straight into drawers. Also my knit leggings and shirts, maybe, because most ships seem to be lacking in drawer space. 

I would be checking halfacts and cruisedeckplans for photos showing the clothes-storage, before I make that decision.

Huh. You have me thinking now, Cath -- our next cruise is in the same (mirror-image) cabin on the same class ship as our last cruise... HAL Vista ship, Inside on the Observation Deck. These staterooms were added pretty recently and do not have the space of standard HAL rooms; the only drawers are in nightstand and abbreviated ones under the bed we do not use.

Last spring, I took some collapsible open boxes like these (not all of the set, I think I took a large and a long each for the two of us):

Closet Bins

For this next cruise, in 128 days (!), I don't know if the bins or the packing cubes will be the better choice.

We are taking the commuter train to the port, so weight is not the foremost decider (as long as we keep it to what we can handle).

-- E.

Elizabeth  AKA  crystalspin

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

I'm trying to remember if it was you or someone else who loved them for a land trip but didn't really see their value on a cruise where you unpack once.  I'm getting interested in them.  🙂

If I was just doing a cruise, I would probably use cubes just to corral the little stuff. It's easy enough to just unpack into drawers and onto hangers.

For a land trip - packing cubes are brilliant!  Pants in one, shirts and sweater in another, undies and socks in a third...  Packing and moving around was dead easy. I knew exactly where everything was.  I even had a packing cube for the chargers and little do-dads I want handy on the plane and in hotel room desks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After using packing cubes on our family cruise to Alaska in August 2018, I was hooked. We took a family road trip of over 4,500 miles in 2 weeks this summer to AZ, UT and CO and stayed at KOA cabins and visited 7 National Parks. Corralling clothes for a family of 5 in packing cubes saved my sanity and kept us al organized. My kids could easily grab a t-shirt, shorts, and underwear without digging around in a duffle bag or suitcase and since I rolled all the clothes, they stayed compact and wrinkle free. I will never travel again without them regardless of where I go.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

After using packing cubes on our family cruise to Alaska in August 2018, I was hooked. We took a family road trip of over 4,500 miles in 2 weeks this summer to AZ, UT and CO and stayed at KOA cabins and visited 7 National Parks. Corralling clothes for a family of 5 in packing cubes saved my sanity and kept us al organized. My kids could easily grab a t-shirt, shorts, and underwear without digging around in a duffle bag or suitcase and since I rolled all the clothes, they stayed compact and wrinkle free. I will never travel again without them regardless of where I go.

That was one LONG roadtrip!!  I can't imagine that long - I did my UT/AZ trip just the other week, doing 980 miles or so in 11 days, visiting 4 National Parks, 2 Navajo Tribal parks.   At least you didn't have spend time setting up/taking down your campsites!  Cubes were made for trips just like this!  My backpack stayed neat the entire time.  

A little OT here: which Parks did you visit?  I'm imagining the "Mighty 5" (Arches, Canyonlands, Brice, Zion, Grand Canyon) for sure.  Since you said Colorado, I'm thinking Mesa Verde and maybe Rocky Mountain???  Everyone needs to ditch one cruise for a roadtrip through our great National Parks in the Southwest!   Did you notice the numbers of people speaking German?  It seems like the Germans still have a fascination with the American Wild West.  I remember when the signs and menus down in Moab were frequently in German and Dutch!!!   And, I ran into several large tour busses filled with Asians - mostly Chinese.  One day, at Monument Valley, I felt like the only non-foreigner there - everyone around me was speaking something other than English!  I loved it!

• Like 1