Cape Liberty to EWR

rt1092

21 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

We are debarking in Cape Liberty on Thursday May 21, 2020.  Can I book a 10 AM flight out of EWR?  Domestic not International . And we have TSA pre/check.

No one is going to recommend a flight before noon from EWR, particularly on a weekday morning.  You would have to self disembark with all your luggage,  hope that the ship arrives on time, there are no customs glitches, and no morning commuter traffic issues.

Uber or Lyft. It takes about twenty minutes best case scenario. Earliest I would recommend would be noon. Other people might say 11 and it would be totally makeable, but it wouldn't take much to mess that up. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bayonnejoe said:

Uber or Lyft. It takes about twenty minutes best case scenario. Earliest I would recommend would be noon. Other people might say 11 and it would be totally makeable, but it wouldn't take much to mess that up. 

We booked a noon flight.  They don’t have shuttles from the port to the airport?

31 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We booked a noon flight.  They don’t have shuttles from the port to the airport?

Yes there are shuttles from the port to EWR. The cruise line won't let you use their transfers for a noon flight but you should be able to use the private airport shuttles .

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We were scared to book an earlier one. 

Maybe you didn't understand the point of my comment about not being able to use the cruise line transfer for a noon flight. They require you to be on a later flight, not an earlier one. It's been a million years since I've used a cruise line transfer anywhere, and I've never used one at Cape Liberty because I drive to that port, but typically they want your flight to be at 1 pm or later. 

Edited by njhorseman

The Cape Liberty Taxi Dispatcher organizes shared rides to go to EWR for $20/pp.  A private car/taxi will be $50-60.  Be sure you get a firm quote from the driver (ask about tolls).  When you come out of customs the taxi dispatcher folks should be right there to direct you around the corner and across the road to the taxi dispatcher area.  If you have a lot of luggage, you might want to hire a porter to take you there.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 138east said:

The Cape Liberty Taxi Dispatcher organizes shared rides to go to EWR for $20/pp.  A private car/taxi will be $50-60.  Be sure you get a firm quote from the driver (ask about tolls).  When you come out of customs the taxi dispatcher folks should be right there to direct you around the corner and across the road to the taxi dispatcher area.  If you have a lot of luggage, you might want to hire a porter to take you there.

Wow!  That sounds high.  How far is it?  I’m not used to flying, so paying for a ride is new to me. 

13 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Wow!  That sounds high.  How far is it?  I’m not used to flying, so paying for a ride is new to me. 

It’s about 10 miles.  A great many folks use Uber or Lyft which generally is less money.  It’s the NYC metro area and it’s expensive.

Are you still staying in Jersey City for the precruise night?  If so, you will have to pay to get yourselves there and then pay to get from the hotel to the port.

9 minutes ago, 138east said:

It’s about 10 miles.  A great many folks use Uber or Lyft which generally is less money.  It’s the NYC metro area and it’s expensive.

Are you still staying in Jersey City for the precruise night?  If so, you will have to pay to get yourselves there and then pay to get from the hotel to the port.

Yes we are. I guess we need to put those apps on our phones. We’ve never needed them before. 

Ugh!  I lost my post.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

$2.75/pp to midtown or downtown.  There is track construction to World Trade, so you have to take a ferry from Exchange Place to World Trade area.  Residence Inn is at the Grove St station.  About 25 minutes to midtown (33rd & 6th)

What are you interested in doing in NYC?  I will post more details depending on your interests.  911 Memorial? Freedom Tower?  Statue of Liberty?  Times Square? Rockefeller Center?  Empire State?  Macy’s?

18 minutes ago, 138east said:

Ugh!  I lost my post.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

$2.75/pp to midtown or downtown.  There is track construction to World Trade, so you have to take a ferry from Exchange Place to World Trade area.  Residence Inn is at the Grove St station.  About 25 minutes to midtown (33rd & 6th)

What are you interested in doing in NYC?  I will post more details depending on your interests.  911 Memorial? Freedom Tower?  Statue of Liberty?  Times Square? Rockefeller Center?  Empire State?  Macy’s?

We really don’t know. Maybe the Statue of Liberty and/or the 911 Memorial. Time permitting, maybe Times Square.  Are they near one another?  We weren’t planning on going there until we booked our early flight this morning.  

30 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We really don’t know. Maybe the Statue of Liberty and/or the 911 Memorial. Time permitting, maybe Times Square.  Are they near one another?  We weren’t planning on going there until we booked our early flight this morning.  

PATH is a NJ subway train that goes to 2 places in Manhattan.  Please take a look at a map and do some research.  What date exactly are you doing this?  SOL and 911 Memorial are downtown.  Times Square is midtown.  It is possible to do downtown first, take the NYC subway to midtown for $3/pp, and take PATH back to Grove St from midtown near Macy’s.  Expect to walk in NYC if attractions are close by (within 15 or so blocks). 

We will be there Saturday, August 31.  I looked into buying tickets to climb the SOL, but I’m way too late for that. I found something on Liberty State Park in NJ and taking a ferry from there to the SOL and Ellis Island. However, I have no idea how far that park is from our hotel and it didn’t mention public transport ion access, just that there is ample parking.  How long would this take?  Someone on trip advisor suggested 5-6 hours!  If so, that may be enough touring for dh. Assuming our hotel is close to the Waterfront, we could always hang out there for a bit too. 

I will have dh look over the maps. I’m very challenged when it comes to reading maps!  

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We will be there Saturday, August 31.  I looked into buying tickets to climb the SOL, but I’m way too late for that. I found something on Liberty State Park in NJ and taking a ferry from there to the SOL and Ellis Island. However, I have no idea how far that park is from our hotel and it didn’t mention public transport ion access, just that there is ample parking.  How long would this take?  Someone on trip advisor suggested 5-6 hours!  If so, that may be enough touring for dh. Assuming our hotel is close to the Waterfront, we could always hang out there for a bit too. 

I will have dh look over the maps. I’m very challenged when it comes to reading maps!  

From your hotel you can walk 10 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry at the foot of Warren St.  http://www.libertylandingferry.com/  $2 to cross the channel to Liberty State Park.  Then you walk across the field to the ticket booth at the Old Central Railroad of NJ  Terminal.  Then you walk out to the ferry and go through security ( read the web site for security restrictions). The ferry stops first at Ellis Island and then goes on to the SOL.

You can return to Manhattan if you like and walk through Battery Park and go up Broadway past Wall St to the 911 Memorial.  From there you can find the PATH ferry (we can research exactly where that is), return to Exchange Place, and walk the 4 blocks back to the hotel.  Regular SOL tickets should be easier to get from NJ without the NYC crowds.

It can be a time consuming trip. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 138east said:

From your hotel you can walk 10 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry at the foot of Warren St.  http://www.libertylandingferry.com/  $2 to cross the channel to Liberty State Park.  Then you walk across the field to the ticket booth at the Old Central Railroad of NJ  Terminal.  Then you walk out to the ferry and go through security ( read the web site for security restrictions). The ferry stops first at Ellis Island and then goes on to the SOL.

You can return to Manhattan if you like and walk through Battery Park and go up Broadway past Wall St to the 911 Memorial.  From there you can find the PATH ferry (we can research exactly where that is), return to Exchange Place, and walk the 4 blocks back to the hotel.  Regular SOL tickets should be easier to get from NJ without the NYC crowds.

It can be a time consuming trip. 

It may be more than he’s interested in by adding a trip to Manhattan. I’d be up for it though. I would be board out of my mind just sitting in the hotel, although we will have to get up around 3-3:30 AM to catch our flight so we may very well be tired.  

13 hours ago, 138east said:

From your hotel you can walk 10 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry at the foot of Warren St.  http://www.libertylandingferry.com/  $2 to cross the channel to Liberty State Park.  Then you walk across the field to the ticket booth at the Old Central Railroad of NJ  Terminal.

To be honest, this is getting to be unnecessarily complicated. You can take an Uber for a 10 minute drive from where you are and get dropped off right at Liberty State Park. It will cost you about $8 total and save a bunch of time (possibly over an hour) compared to walking 10 blocks and taking a ferry. 

13 hours ago, 138east said:

From there you can find the PATH ferry (we can research exactly where that is), return to Exchange Place, and walk the 4 blocks back to the hotel.

Just for clarification, it's the NY Waterway Ferry-- the PATH is a commuter train that runs under the Hudson. Both are very efficient ways of getting back and forth to NJ, but no one will know what the PATH ferry is. 

15 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I looked into buying tickets to climb the SOL, but I’m way too late for that.

If you can't get into the statue, then its not even worth going to Liberty Island-- the better views are not right below the statue. You can see the statue well from Ellis Island or from lower Manhattan. Ellis Island is a very worthwhile trip if you are a history buff or very interested in the immigration history of the US. You could spend the better part of a day there to do it in depth or a couple hours to get a quick overview. If you are neither of these, or its not a huge priority, the 2-3 hours it would take to tackle it might be better spent headed into Manhattan. 

6 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

To be honest, this is getting to be unnecessarily complicated. You can take an Uber for a 10 minute drive from where you are and get dropped off right at Liberty State Park. It will cost you about $8 total and save a bunch of time (possibly over an hour) compared to walking 10 blocks and taking a ferry. 

I don't mind walking if it's nice out.  We have all day!  I think I mentioned our flight lands at 8 AM.  We didn't have a whole lot of choices using points.  Thanks for the tip though, because if the weather isn't nice enough to walk that far then I'd rather pay $8 for a ride.  

6 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Just for clarification, it's the NY Waterway Ferry-- the PATH is a commuter train that runs under the Hudson. Both are very efficient ways of getting back and forth to NJ, but no one will know what the PATH ferry is. 

If you can't get into the statue, then its not even worth going to Liberty Island-- the better views are not right below the statue. You can see the statue well from Ellis Island or from lower Manhattan. Ellis Island is a very worthwhile trip if you are a history buff or very interested in the immigration history of the US. You could spend the better part of a day there to do it in depth or a couple hours to get a quick overview. If you are neither of these, or its not a huge priority, the 2-3 hours it would take to tackle it might be better spent headed into Manhattan. 

Not a history buff at all, but my husband enjoys it.  I'd much rather find a beautiful vineyard to spend the day at, go to a Broadway play, or venture into Manhattan.  I chose the above because it was number one recommended on trip adviser for Jersey City and dh isn't sure he wants to cross over to the big city!  

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I don't mind walking if it's nice out.

Its even less about the walking so much as that its just not that interesting of a walk-- most of it is past construction and parking lots. Could spend the time walking past interesting things later on. 

• Thanks 1