Drop Off/Pick-up at Cape Liberty/New York w/scooter

fair-winds39

DH and I have cruised often, however, not with a mobility scooter. I will also post on Disabled Board, but I thought I would try here first. For both ports, do you drop off luggage to porters first, and then park? I remember leaving from New York piers way back when, that you gave luggage to porters and then we went up ramp and parked on top level and used a very large elevator to go into the terminal. Or, can someone drop us off, and we can go in with scooter from luggage drop-off area? Same with Cape Liberty, can someone drop us off, we give luggage to porter, and then scoot into the terminal from drop off point?  Thanks for help. We wanted to try a cruise from Cape Liberty or Manhattan.

2 hours ago, fair-winds39 said:

DH and I have cruised often, however, not with a mobility scooter. I will also post on Disabled Board, but I thought I would try here first. For both ports, do you drop off luggage to porters first, and then park? I remember leaving from New York piers way back when, that you gave luggage to porters and then we went up ramp and parked on top level and used a very large elevator to go into the terminal. Or, can someone drop us off, and we can go in with scooter from luggage drop-off area? Same with Cape Liberty, can someone drop us off, we give luggage to porter, and then scoot into the terminal from drop off point?  Thanks for help. We wanted to try a cruise from Cape Liberty or Manhattan.

In NY you can no longer drop your luggage off at the pier entrances and then drive directly up to the parking level. That ramp was torn down some years ago. Instead, after dropping your luggage off you would have to drive out of the cruise terminal complex, head back north on 12th Ave., reenter the terminal at 12th Ave and 55th St and drive up to the parking level from there. The old way of doing it would work fine if someone was dropping you at the pier because you could just enter with your scooter directly after being dropped off. 

At Cape Liberty you can drop your luggage off at the pier entrance and then drive to the garage or lot to park.

4 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

Thank you njhorseman. When we park in the lot or garage at Cape Liberty can I drive the scooter and DH walk to the terminal or are there shuttles to the terminal?

I'm reasonably certain you can drive the scooter from the garage to the cruise terminal. I don't think there are any shuttles from garage but perhaps someone with recent experience can tell you with certainty.

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'm reasonably certain you can drive the scooter from the garage to the cruise terminal. I don't think there are any shuttles from garage but perhaps someone with recent experience can tell you with certainty.

The garage is right behind the customs area and the handicapped parking is on the first level.  This is a picture of the garage with the customs area in the building on the right.  The customs exit and the terminal (not visible) are further to the right.  The second picture shows the gangway, terminal and garage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cape+liberty+garage+pictures&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=MwNK8k0Tb0laqM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cape+liberty+garage+pictures&tbm=isch&source=univ&hl=en-us&client=safari&fir=DK2EDGpDs_JQEM%3A%2CShMaP4fkOdbvHM%2C_%3BMwNK8k0Tb0laqM%3A%2CEErwFRNNhTh3KM%2C_%3BpdektUgf2tmSpM%3A%2CTfD8QC0pUcfMXM%2C_%3BxJgzVHd8qjUrhM%3A%2CM3eB3LHr_Gz-LM%2C_%3B6QTJU0kXXDw0fM%3A%2C06VHPrvhkRO_aM%2C_%3Bzex6raFZa5R8jM%3A%2Cepnl9GXqinhx_M%2C_%3B_BoWcuKDn7aWXM%3A%2C3bunQpyWumVdCM%2C_%3B9IsnC94U_8bzUM%3A%2CaImcwvPMgD-GuM%2C_%3Bk27mQaiid_qrdM%3A%2CkNGKk_NP2ykzJM%2C_%3Btxm7SgdrHf4XxM%3A%2CaImcwvPMgD-GuM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kS6oSD25Fv1iiKNLmMYobb7yVh8QQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjB1vDu9NrjAhUpo1kKHYQ1AmUQ4216BAgFECQ&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=asFuPE0FNxB_6M