New gangways for OPT

Sydney Port Authority have installed two new gangways  at the OPT  with the capacity to handle 1200 pax  every half hour which Is obviously intended to reduce the embark/ debark  times  for guests. While this all sounds great,  the " bottlenecks" remain, ie border force and security scanning for embark and floor area  for luggage / customs with debark..  ( not much point in building a six lane highway if you have two single lane bridges stuck in the middle of it.) The two gangways would help for an Oasis class or similar vessel ( I believe the wharf was built to accomodate this size ship)  if they ever came to Sydney but  unfortunately  the limited space available at the terminal seriously  restricts any expansion of services beyond what is already there.

I suppose any improvement is to be commended but it seems like a lot of cost for no real reward.  My opinion only so I guess we shall wait and see.Happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by gbenjo

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Sydney Port Authority have installed two new gangways  at the OPT  with the capacity to handle 1200 pax  every half hour which Is obviously intended to reduce the embark/ debark  times  for guests. While this all sounds great,  the " bottlenecks" remain, ie border force and security scanning for embark and floor area  for luggage / customs with debark..  ( not much point in building a six lane highway if you have two single lane bridges stuck in the middle of it.) The two gangways would help for an Oasis class or similar vessel ( I believe the wharf was built to accomodate this size ship)  if they ever came to Sydney but  unfortunately  the limited space available at the terminal seriously  restricts any expansion of services beyond what is already there.

I suppose any improvement is to be commended but it seems like a lot of cost for no real reward.  My opinion only so I guess we shall wait and see.Happy to be proved wrong.

We saw the new gangways Graham  this morning very impressive But as you said it’s a band aid.

I’ve seen how it’s congested with forklifts ,trucks,shipping containers and passengers.

I wonder how long before some brilliant mind thinks of a loading barge to transfer supplies.

Edited by Chiliburn

5 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I agree with your analogy of a 6 lane highway with single lane bridge.  1200px an hour for some of these ships will still take 4 hrs flat stick to board.

This just seems like an attempt to divert attention away from the real issue of mutliple berthing options in Sydney for larger ships.  Either that or the Govt advisers actually think this will help!

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We saw the new gangways Graham  this morning very impressive But as you said it’s a band aid.

I’ve seen how it’s congested with forklifts ,trucks,shipping containers and passengers.

I wonder how long before some brilliant mind thinks of a loading barge to transfer supplies.

Only issue is this would have to be a multipurpose logistics barge to fulfill all the required functions simultaneously.  These include taking on fuel taking, on water, pumping out sewerage, supplies, etc.

Edited by banzaii

6 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Great news, sort of.

thanks for the update.

With a lot of the pre boarding done on-line, they need to speed up the actual check-in at the terminal where a lot of things are replicated. It may only take a few minutes more but a few minutes per person for a whole boat load is hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Unless they apoint check in agents that have some efficiency seems like a waste 😳😱😋

I absolutely agree Mr Gut....the problem would be finding another 25 to 30 check in agents anywhere near as good and efficient as me .👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I absolutely agree Mr Gut....the problem would be finding another 25 to 30 check in agents anywhere near as good and efficient as me .👍

Well if that’s the standard they can just grab a few of the street bums, like they did last time

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

With a lot of the pre boarding done on-line, they need to speed up the actual check-in at the terminal where a lot of things are replicated. It may only take a few minutes more but a few minutes per person for a whole boat load is hours.

The check in systems are being " sped up" ...eg ..Ovation has a new system this coming season,but all that would mean ( at the moment) is that we would just be getting pax to the " bottlenecks" ( security and border force) quicker.. the old gangway worked just fine.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Well if that’s the standard they can just grab a few of the street bums, like they did last time

Hmmm ....Radiance Jan 2020......now where is that denied boarding list😁😁

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

By the way ..street bums are OK..as long as they are not old lawyers.😱

35 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

The check in systems are being " sped up" ...eg ..Ovation has a new system this coming season,but all that would mean ( at the moment) is that we would just be getting pax to the " bottlenecks" ( security and border force) quicker.. the old gangway worked just fine.

I remember the check-in thing they did outside the terminal for the Ovation, it didn't really do that much of a quicker time, just seemed much more chaotic.

4 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Don't forget they're also getting rid of immigration entry and exit cards, also saving time.

Target improvements at each step of the process, they're not going to change everything at once, especially as they involve different providers.

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose the best thing is that they are looking at improvements.

What concerns me is after that expenditure is a new terminal anywhere in the near future.

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Don't forget they're also getting rid of immigration entry and exit cards, also saving time.

Target improvements at each step of the process, they're not going to change everything at once, especially as they involve different providers.

The green exit cards were gone two seasons ago, passports/pax still need to be checked by ABF. Security still needs to check carry ons etc and the problem is there is not enough room in the terminal to expand.

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

What concerns me is after that expenditure is a new terminal anywhere in the near future.

Yes. ....it’s underway at Brisbane. Sydney will end up being a day call and Luggage Point will be the hub of cruising in the South Pacific. 

33 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Yes. ....it’s underway at Brisbane. Sydney will end up being a day call and Luggage Point will be the hub of cruising in the South Pacific. 

Brisbane makes sense....two days sailing closer to the islands means big cost savings for the cruise lines, can have more , shorter cruises,close to the airport...... Sydney is arguably a better destination for overseas guests( Sydney Harbour is a far, far better sail away) I suppose but if the geography won't allow it what do you do? One option could be Botany Bay but still misses out on the Harbour.

Edited by gbenjo

40 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Quite possibly for many Royal cruises.