Taxi cost from Penn Station to Manhattan Cruise Terminal?

smarks

As a native of NYC, I would not recommend taking a city bus with luggage.

The taxi fare should not be very much as the distance is not great between the train terminal and the pier. However, if you should get stuck in traffic, the meter will keep running.

It is a walkable distance, but that is your decision depending on your mobility level and amount of luggage you will be taking.

11 hours ago, smarks said:

Does anyone have any information on cost of a taxi from Amtrak Penn Station to Manhattan Cruise Terminal?  Is there a bus?    Any help would be appreciated.  Thank You

10 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

Taxi would be my only recommendation.... in any case, not very expensive. Would not suggest walking with luggage that distance to the port.

I agree that with luggage in tow walking isn't the way to go.

With the new $2.50 congestion surcharge a typical fare including tip will be about $20 in average traffic conditions, more in heavy traffic. I don't think a fare as low as $15 is too likely any longer.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you desire to go by bus you can take the bus on Eighth Ave going north to 57  st and then west to 12 th Ave then walk to the pier but I personally would opt for a yellow cab.

Bad enough to even  mention the idea of taking a NYC bus with luggage in tow,  but if someone did why would they take it all the north to 57th St? The pedestrian entrances to piers 88 and 90 are at West 48th St. and West 50th St., respectively.

• Like 1

NYC (MTA) local buses are not luggage friendly and forgetaboutit during rush hours, whereas weekend services tend to be more infrequent & limited.  Out of towners will need exact change in coins, dollar bills not accepted or purchase a Metro Card, really not recommended AND as a matter of fact, I strongly discourage it - just to save $15 bucks, unless you are traveling light with a convertible backpack (and/or, rollerboard/spinners with sturdy wheels ...) NY's rough & tough pavements are known to not be kind or gentle with them, especially for that final 3/4 mile. 

Coming from NY Penn Station/Amtrak, if one "insist" - the 8th Avenue subway to 50th Street or 2 stops would be less work on the "stair"masters going up & down the steps, as the accessible entrances are sometimes out of order for maintenance.  

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Bad enough to even  mention the idea of taking a NYC bus with luggage in tow,  but if someone did why would they take it all the north to 57th St? The pedestrian entrances to piers 88 and 90 are at West 48th St. and West 50th St., respectively.

The OP asked,I responded.When I lived in Brooklyn I got on a bus to an IRT train station with luggage to Manhattan and then took 2 buses to get to the Manhattan cruise port. My suggestion was to take a taxi now.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The OP asked,I responded.When I lived in Brooklyn I got on a bus to an IRT train station with luggage to Manhattan and then took 2 buses to get to the Manhattan cruise port. My suggestion was to take a taxi now.

You missed the main point...you gave incorrect directions when telling the OP they could take the bus to 57th St.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

The crosstown 57 St bus is a lot less congested than the 50st bus .I believe the terminal is 54 and 12 .

The terminal for the M31 crosstown is at 54th and 11th, from not 12th, so in addition to having to walk downtown 4-6 blocks from 54th to 50th or 48th, you'd have to also walk west one avenue from 11th to 12th. Compare that to the M50 crosstown, which  has a stop at 49th and 12th, directly across the street and just a block in one direction or the other from either Pier 88 or 90.  A lot of additional walking, as well as additional time on the M20 8th Ave bus to get from 49th St to 57th St. to use the M31 just because the 57th street crosstown bus might be less crowded...and of course you can't guarantee that it will be. 

No, sorry, your directions aren't very good. 

I would take a taxi. Walking is a gamble as it could rain. Also the sidewalks of NYC are very crowded

and crossing the street is an art form. I suppose you could take a bus but if it were me I would only

be comfortable lugging one carry on sized suitcase on and off. As for thetaxi  cost I would agree $20 not

including tip would be the cost in average conditions.

Edited by Peachypooh

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The terminal for the M31 crosstown is at 54th and 11th, from not 12th, so in addition to having to walk downtown 4-6 blocks from 54th to 50th or 48th, you'd have to also walk west one avenue from 11th to 12th. Compare that to the M50 crosstown, which  has a stop at 49th and 12th, directly across the street and just a block in one direction or the other from either Pier 88 or 90.  A lot of additional walking, as well as additional time on the M20 8th Ave bus to get from 49th St to 57th St. to use the M31 just because the 57th street crosstown bus might be less crowded...and of course you can't guarantee that it will be. 

No, sorry, your directions aren't very good. 

The last time I went to the pier with public transportation was 46 years ago.Obviously my memory is not that good.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is a terrible walk - and at the end of it your suitcases may very well not have wheels.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is a terrible walk - and at the end of it your suitcases may very well not have wheels.

We've done it a couple of times with no problem.

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The last time I went to the pier with public transportation was 46 years ago.Obviously my memory is not that good.

Len, may I make a small suggestion for future posts, one that I try to follow: if it’s been a while since I’ve done something (e.g., used a specific private tour guide), either I don’t weigh in, or I make it clear that my experience was not very recent. (E.g., three years ago, a small group of us from our Roll Call used XYZ Tours, and they were fabulous.) Just a thought. 🙂

• Like 1