P & O branded Benidorm of the Seas

18 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

But which clowns?

The ones with red noses or the ones without?

In this case there seems to have been an over abundance of clowns of both varieties.

36 minutes ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

reading the UK P&O board seems like another case of pi$$ poor journalism

and 6 injured people, 2 charged doesn't exactly  scream "mass brawl"

besides how many people would be at the buffet at 2 am????

Not that many really, most would have been tucked up in bed.

16 minutes ago, mum and son said:

The article says "terrified families were forced to flee". What were families doing in the buffet at 2am? 🤣

I reckon this quote had nothing to do with 2am or the "brawl" but everything to do with the buffet! 😉

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mum and son said:

The article says "terrified families were forced to flee". What were families doing in the buffet at 2am? 🤣

From the look of the photo in the article, I think there was a deck party in progress. Cruises to Norway have a "Midnight Sun" party, obviously at midnight.

I have done several cruises on P&O UK ships, Arcadia, Aurora, Oriana, all good and pax well behaved and on another couple next year.   It is these short booze cruises that are the issue, no matter what the cruise line.   Chavs and Bogans will frequent these.

I read it all yesterday morning and have now read the latest. That topic has now been closed by mods.

A point I took from this incident was how so many posters were decrying the standard of reporting of the incident by journalists and newspapers etc. This, I thought, was so hypocritical when they were posting their own versions of what happened/didn't happen without knowing any, some, or all of the facts themselves. Mass hysteria maybe?

Or is it a modern version of busybodies of old  magging over the back fence?

Maybe I'm becoming (more?) cynical in my old age.

This has been in the news for a few days and as per usual the news media has it all wrong and has fabricated things.

Firstly there was never a clown. British police and P&O have confirmed this after reviewing security footage.

There were people with bleeding noses and blood on their face. Perhaps a red nose and red lips caused a drunk to imagine they saw a clown.

Looks like a couple have already been charged over the incident - http://a.msn.com/01/en-au/AAF3VLm?ocid=se

P&O UK has changed over the years. It has always been very British with a standard of behaviour to be upheld and this sort of stuff is rare. I think there is definite false reporting going on and passengers on the ship who did not witness it who reporting online rumours that they had heard.

My first experience with P&O was way back in 2002 . The British back then were very easy to offend. Take the Aurora for example. It has a dedicated cinema. I am not kidding when I write this but a 2001 movie America's Sweethearts starring Julia Roberts, Billy Crystal and Catherine Zeta-Jones was airing in that cinema. Within minutes of the movie starting to air on that ship there was a mass walk out of highly offended passengers by what they had seen. I cant find an English version on YouTube but here is a snippet of what offended all the Brits - 

That scene literally almost cleared the entire cinema.

This was a running theme the entire cruise. Often the comedians on stage would cause mass walk-outs when they said something offensive in the view of some. One group would start and others would follow and before you knew it they would head to reception to complain.

Other movies that caused mass walk-outs were Zoolander and even Baz Luhrmanns version of Romeo and Juliet.

Even the theatre shows caused mass walk-outs which was highly distressing for the cast. The British back then wanted the singing to be beyond perfect. If they considered that they could not sing to the standard they liked then they would just up and leave the theatre in massive numbers.

At that time in my life I had never seen such behaviour. It remained with P&O until about 2006/7 when it started to get more relaxed and easy going passengers. It certainly was an eye opener in the past the way they would behave.

Reading about this fight on one of their ships is worlds away from what they were once like.

P& O UK can be snobby, they strictly enforce dress rules, like Cunard.   They are also fussy about on board entertainment like above.

Now I was wondering where the Aussie Land Benidorm would be?   Perhaps Surfers Paradise?  Perhaps even Batemans Bay ? 😂😃🤣   I know the Aussie Benidorm at Sea ships, perhaps P&O Australia and Carnival?  Standby for incoming.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I read it all yesterday morning and have now read the latest. That topic has now been closed by mods.

A point I took from this incident was how so many posters were decrying the standard of reporting of the incident by journalists and newspapers etc. This, I thought, was so hypocritical when they were posting their own versions of what happened/didn't happen without knowing any, some, or all of the facts themselves. Mass hysteria maybe?

Or is it a modern version of busybodies of old  magging over the back fence?

Maybe I'm becoming (more?) cynical in my old age.

For sure. You can even see that in this thread. ;-)

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

P& O UK can be snobby, they strictly enforce dress rules, like Cunard.   They are also fussy about on board entertainment like above.

Now I was wondering where the Aussie Land Benidorm would be?   Perhaps Surfers Paradise?  Perhaps even Batemans Bay ? 😂😃🤣   I know the Aussie Benidorm at Sea ships, perhaps P&O Australia and Carnival?  Standby for incoming.

Not sure any of our cruise lines would fit into that description but as to fights onboard, it happens on all of them.

• Like 1