Flying into Tampa then Miami and hoping to buy Duty Free Champagne

Ms Lola Bear

We are on a Princess cruise from FL and are allowed to bring on board two bottles of wine. Rather than buy it in the UK and risk it getting damaged when flying into Miami via Tampa it makes sense to buy it duty free. Will we be able to board our flight at Tampa with two bottles of champagne bought from Duty Free? I've never seen booze being sold Duty Free on American Airlines "internal" flights. We're getting a Cruise Line coach from the airport to the boat so won't be able to buy anything when we land. How do regular "cruisers" from FL manage?

If you can buy it at the DUTY FREE in the UK  ask if they put it in the sealed transit bag  or it will be Confiscated in Tampa

Option 2  buy it  in Ft Lauderdale  

OOPS  I see you are arriving the same day  so no chance to buy in Fla

I do not believe there is duty free shopping for domestic flights  Tampa to MIA

1 hour ago, Ms Lola Bear said:

We are on a Princess cruise from FL and are allowed to bring on board two bottles of wine. Rather than buy it in the UK and risk it getting damaged when flying into Miami via Tampa it makes sense to buy it duty free. Will we be able to board our flight at Tampa with two bottles of champagne bought from Duty Free? I've never seen booze being sold Duty Free on American Airlines "internal" flights. We're getting a Cruise Line coach from the airport to the boat so won't be able to buy anything when we land. How do regular "cruisers" from FL manage?

As far as I know, in airports the only duty free shops are in the departure area for international flights (after security).  I don't think you can purchase duty-free between domestic flights.

Hi Ms Lola Bear

Welcome to cruise critic

So you are flying from UK to Tampa, with a connecting flight to Miami. You plan to buy your wine at a duty free shop in the UK airport. You will be allowed to carry the bottles onto the connecting flight as long as you don't have to exit the "security" area in the Tampa airport. Your airline should be able to verify this for you (or TA). 

That being said, you are flying in on an international flight, with a connecting flight. I don't know if this thought has been brought up, but I hope you are arriving at least a day ahead of sailing. If so, then it would be much easier to just buy your wine in Miami. Prices for things like wine are quite good in the States, even compared to duty free. 

If you are flying in on embarkation day, then I would think that would be more problematical than how you should get your wine. Taxi fare from Miami airport to Port of Miami is fixed at $27 + gratuity (not per person), they are always there (no waiting). Most people would take a taxi, or for even less would take a UBER ride and stop to make any purchases they need on the way.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

All international arrivals into the u.s. must go through immigration & customs. You will have to exit the secure area to get your flight to Miami & go back through, including checking bags (unless they can be dropped at a transfer desk after customs,  not sure Tampa has this). Once you exit you will have to put any liquids over 3 oz. into checked bags including any duty free. I would plan to get your wine after you land in Miami. 

• Like 1

So, you are flying UK to Tampa and then flying from Tampa to Miami, is that correct?

If so, then the only place you can buy 'duty free' is at UK airport.  When you arrive in Tampa you will leave the secure area and go through US Customs and Immigration formalities.  You will then need to re-enter the secure area for your departure to MIA and now your 'duty free' is a problem as all fluids must be no more than 100 ml/3oz.  

Options?  Put your 'duty free' into a suitcase in Tampa and check it in, or ..............?

When we sail from Florida we always arrive at least 2 days in advance of cruise departure to allow for travel hiccups and buying the important stuff, like wine! 

18 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Ms Lola Bear

Welcome to cruise critic

So you are flying from UK to Tampa, with a connecting flight to Miami. You plan to buy your wine at a duty free shop in the UK airport. You will be allowed to carry the bottles onto the connecting flight as long as you don't have to exit the "security" area in the Tampa airport. Your airline should be able to verify this for you (or TA). 

That being said, you are flying in on an international flight, with a connecting flight. I don't know if this thought has been brought up, but I hope you are arriving at least a day ahead of sailing. If so, then it would be much easier to just buy your wine in Miami. Prices for things like wine are quite good in the States, even compared to duty free. 

If you are flying in on embarkation day, then I would think that would be more problematical than how you should get your wine. Taxi fare from Miami airport to Port of Miami is fixed at $27 + gratuity (not per person), they are always there (no waiting). Most people would take a taxi, or for even less would take a UBER ride and stop to make any purchases they need on the way.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I second this option. It is cheaper and more flexible to just take a taxi or Uber to the port. You can have them stop at a grocery or drugstore and buy wine. You also may want to pick up other sundries like sunscreen which are all reasonably priced in the US. Walgreens in Miami sells beer and wine.

they are flying into Miami but cruising from port Everglades

the taxi  will be a lot more than $27

Once in the port at PE is is not easy to leave & return  if they take the cruise line's transfer  & may not have the time anyway

too bad  they did not fly in a day earlier

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

they are flying into Miami but cruising from port Everglades

the taxi  will be a lot more than $27

Once in the port at PE is is not easy to leave & return  if they take the cruise line's transfer  & may not have the time anyway

too bad  they did not fly in a day earlier

BUT...if they do take a taxi or uber, Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale is right on the way to the cruise port. They will have excellent prices on any wine or champagne the OP might want.

Just now, retafcruiser said:

BUT...if they do take a taxi or uber, Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale is right on the way to the cruise port. They will have excellent prices on any wine or champagne the OP might want.

true   but they are on a tight schedule as it is  

but certainly an option

On 7/29/2019 at 12:28 PM, Ms Lola Bear said:

If you buy your wine duty free in Tampa, after you have cleared security you can carry it on the plane. The problem is that you may not be anywhere near the duty free store in Tampa because of the way the airport is built, it really all depends on where you re-enter the terminals after you clear immigration and customs.

Good luck

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

If you buy your wine duty free in Tampa, after you have cleared security you can carry it on the plane. The problem is that you may not be anywhere near the duty free store in Tampa because of the way the airport is built, it really all depends on where you re-enter the terminals after you clear immigration and customs.

Good luck

Can you buy duty free  for domestic flights in the USA?

Coming from the UK where the prices of liquor is high, just go to a local liquor store in Miami and purchase your champagne, there's hundreds of them.  Save the aggravation of carting around bottles of booze.  Sometimes there is no deal when purchasing "Duty Free"

On 7/29/2019 at 7:39 PM, PoofCat99 said:

All international arrivals into the u.s. must go through immigration & customs. You will have to exit the secure area to get your flight to Miami & go back through, including checking bags (unless they can be dropped at a transfer desk after customs,  not sure Tampa has this). Once you exit you will have to put any liquids over 3 oz. into checked bags including any duty free. I would plan to get your wine after you land in Miami. 

This

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paul929207 said:

How are you getting from the airport to the cruise port? If taxi, they will probably stop somewhere you can make a purchase.

They said they have booked the cruise transfer.  EM

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:28 AM, Ms Lola Bear said:

We are on a Princess cruise from FL ...How do regular "cruisers" from FL manage?

Click the "Beverage Packages and Cellars" mid-way down this page:

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

The champagne is a little dear, but there are other sparkling and many still wines. The wine package is a better deal if your cruise is long enough to drink 7 bottles!

On 7/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi Ms Lola Bear

Welcome to cruise critic

You HAVE to exit the secure area for international arrivals.  You MUST clear immigration and customs at your first airport in the US.  

You must collect your checked luggage, then clear customs, after you clear immigration.  And then you have to go through security again.  You have to go through security again, as you have been in contact with checked bags, and could have taken something out of them (a knife, etc).

Even in EU airports, you have to do security again in many airports when arriving internationally.

For international arrivals to the US, with connections to domestic, you have to put your large liquids into your checked bags for the domestic flights.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:03 AM, LHT28 said:

Can you buy duty free  for domestic flights in the USA?

No.

But some duty free shops will sell things to you, but at a higher price than for international customers.

You also see this in the EU.  One price for flights to EU, a different (lower) price for flights out of the EU.

One that drives me nuts is duty free in Bulgaria, they base it on the first flight.  So even if you are just connecting at another EU airport, they will not sell at the outside EU price.