1st Cruise since Accident - Have many questions

katmu

Hello-

I thought it would be best to post this here, but let me know if my questions would be better on the Princess forum.  My best friend and I are looking to sail on the 7 night Western Caribbean on the Sky Princess on 12/7.  My TA is recommending that I book an accessible cabin and also think about getting either a scooter or a powerchair for the cruise.  I fell off my roof last September, and landed standing up so I now have 2 plates and 10 pins holding my right knee and upper shin together along with extensive scar tissue, nerve damage, and osteoarthritis in that knee. My range of motion is still somewhat limited in that leg. At home, I walk with a cane and use a shower chair to get in and out of the shower at home (it's a tub with a shower as I haven't remodeled since my accident last year).  I can walk short distances and do a few stairs, leading with my good leg.  I'm a little hesitant to book the accessible cabins as my friend and I definitely wanted either a balcony or a mini-suite and the TA is saying that it's showing that it would be a guarantee.  How do the cruise lines handle guarantees on accessible cabins?  Also, I've only used either a wheelchair or powerchair for short periods so any recommendations on how to decide if I need one, and what might be best for me would be helpful.  Thank you very much.  I'm still trying to adjust to my new normal.

I can't answer about a guarantee.  My husband had a stroke a few years ago and uses a powerchair.  We always book an accessible cabin with a balcony.  Bathroom shower in accessible cabins have a fold down shower seat.  Also accessible cabins have more room and wider doors, which is needed for a scooter or wheel chair.  Since some of the most walking you need to do is on the ramp during embarkation, request wheel chair assistance.  I would recommend renting a scooter for use on board and getting off the ship at the ports you visit.  A scooter is easier to operate if you're not used to a power chair.  There are several companies that rent scooters for use on cruises - they are delivered to your cabin and not  used during embarkation or disembarkation.  

I'm making the leap here that you perhaps haven't cruise before?  There is a LOT of walking on the ships, they are much bigger than they seem when you are fully-able.  Since you stated that you are able to walk for short distances with a cane, I'm also making the leap that you may have some balance issues?  Don't forget that ships are moving vehicles and will throw your balance off that much more.  Get the scooter.  It's much better to have it and not need it much than to need it and be stuck without it 🙂  With the scooter, always get an accessible cabin.  It sounds as though you would need the features and you definitely need the wider doorways to get the scooter into the cabin (they cannot be parked in the hallways).

Happy cruising!

I have never read of an accessible cabin being available as a gty.  I have received a HC cabin (on Princess) as an inside gty, booked close to sailing.  I do not need a HC cabin, but was advised it was probably the only inside available for a B2B.  Unless you book a long time in advance, you may not be able to be choosy as to category.  HC cabins are not that plentiful:  Sky Princess has one HC suite; 6 HC mini-suites; 23 balconies; 8 insides.  1834 cabins, 38 are HC.  EM

I called Princess and they had me give a cabin number to the TA but I'm still not sure what that means and I'm wondering if I should switch it.  I'm waiting for the TA to get back to me. The HC cabins on this sailing do look pretty limited as it's a new ship.  I did reserve a smallest size regular scooter which special needs at sea assures me will fit through the doorway of a standard cabin.  If it comes to it, I may just need to bring a small shower chair if we stick with the mini-suite so I can transfer into the tub.

I saw my surgeon today and I may end up having at least some of my hardware removed before the cruise.  I'll know more after my MRI on the 9th.  That could be a good thing as the physical therapist feels that the amount of hardware in my leg is part of what is limiting my range of motion.

Edited by katmu
added note about hardware.

I’ve never been able to book an accessible as a guarantee.

i think, from what you say, a bigger issue than walking distance may be standing time, I’d agree that a scooter of chair may be the go.

Try to confirm an hc cabin....while the smallest scooter will fit through the door i could not get mine to swing into the doorway as the hallway was too narrow...i was just visiting this cabin but its a good thing i didnt book it assuming the scooter would actually go in...the hallways with hc cabins are wider...this was the regal princess....loved the ship and the hc balcony cabin was very nice and spacious...i hope your recovery continues well...

You can have your TA request a shower chair to use on board. If it isn’t in your room when you arrive remind your steward and he/she will get it for you.   I have done this on previous and upcoming cruises when an accessible room was unavailable.  I have a Luggie scooter that is only 18 inches wide that fits through a regular cabin door, so some scooters will.  Having a scooter on a cruise when you have limited mobility allows you to have access to the ship without exhausting yourself or risking a fall in rough seas.  Hope this helps