A full day in Jersey City

Now that our transportation plans are finalized, I need suggestions. We will be staying at the Residence Inn Jersey City the night before our cruise. Our flight arrives super early...8 AM. Chances are we won’t be able to check in for several hours, but if they have an available room for us we can. They will hold our luggage if we can’t check in early. The only thing I know for sure is we plan to brunch at Brownstone Dinner. 

My husband doesn’t think he wants to deal with going to the city.  Would it be easy?  Take very long to get there?  If it wouldn’t be too difficult or terribly expensive I might be able to convince him.  Or is there something to do near our hotel? I’m open to all suggestions!  I’ve already asked about a Broadway play and he shot me down. 😔 

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The only thing I know for sure is we plan to brunch at Brownstone Dinner. 

Growing up in NJ I'm a huge fan of diners but don't budget too much time for it-- you'll be in and out in a half hour to 45 min max. Brunch might be a fancy word for a Jersey diner-- they are designed for getting in and out quickly. 

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

My husband doesn’t think he wants to deal with going to the city.  Would it be easy?

It will be extremely easy and you should do it. Frankly theres very little in Jersey City to occupy an entire day's worth. You can take the PATH trains which are quick and easy or take the NY Waterway Ferry which is also quick and gives you a bit of scenery. Go to midtown and see the sights. Head to lower Manhattan for the 9/11 Memorial. If you want to do Ellis Island or Statue of Liberty you can get ferrys from the Jersey side-- no need to go into NYC. But I would head into the city for an afternoon of sight seeing and dinner and then head back. 

44 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Growing up in NJ I'm a huge fan of diners but don't budget too much time for it-- you'll be in and out in a half hour to 45 min max. Brunch might be a fancy word for a Jersey diner-- they are designed for getting in and out quickly. 

I miss the diners for my time living in NY. I always loved their food!! I’m calling it brunch because of the time we will be eating. I’m assuming it will be 10 or so before we get there. 😂 

44 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It will be extremely easy and you should do it. Frankly theres very little in Jersey City to occupy an entire day's worth. You can take the PATH trains which are quick and easy or take the NY Waterway Ferry which is also quick and gives you a bit of scenery. Go to midtown and see the sights. Head to lower Manhattan for the 9/11 Memorial. If you want to do Ellis Island or Statue of Liberty you can get ferrys from the Jersey side-- no need to go into NYC. But I would head into the city for an afternoon of sight seeing and dinner and then head back. 

I have been looking at the possibility of walking over to Liberty State Park to catch the ferry to both. From there I don’t know if we want to return to Jersey City or go on to NYC. I guess if we go with that plan we can always decide after we tour Ellis Island. Can’t we?  I’ve read that can take quite some time to see.  Of course I haven’t ruled out just heading over to the city to begin with.