Semi-live on the Edge, Barcelona-Rome

Kteacher

A little less than a year ago we were sitting in Michael’s Club on the Solstice listening to a pitch from the Future Cruise consultant. There was this new ship, the Edge, that would be sailing the Mediterranean during summer of 2019...

Like many who frequent these forums, I read absolutely every post, every review, looked at YouTube videos, photos that were about the Edge. Many thanks to those who took the time to post all the information! It’s finally our turn to experience the Edge. I will make no attempt to be as thorough as previous reviews, but will try my best to give information that may be helpful to someone else.

A quick background: we are a couple, celebrating 35 years of married bliss as well as sailing into our sixties. We sail on RCI and Celebrity, typically in GS on Royal, and CS on Celebrity. The last time we sailed the Mediterranean was 5 years ago on the Reflection.

25615F42-5976-4D40-8573-8759BB3C5E52.jpeg

• Like 2

Our adventure begins tomorrow, with flights booked through Celebrity at a very decent price, and  City Stay in Barcelona before we board on 8/3. I’ve always been intrigued by the City Stay descriptions, so decided to give it a go. The hotel is NH Collection Barcelona Gran Hotel Calderon. 

Bags are packed, and the diva kitty who lives with us is already showing her disdain for the suitcases in the hallway. Luckily our animal whisperer oldest son will be seeing to her every need while we’re gone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Great picture! Hope you have a wonderful cruise! 🙂

Thank you! There was a thread about what your butler will do. On the Reflection our butler set up breakfast on our balcony before our very early excursion. I took this picture as we were pulling into port. 

BON VOYAGE!

Hope you enjoy Barcelona and EDGE!

We sailed  on the EDGE in Jan and are returning in Nov to ABC Islands.

Looking forward to your posts!

Edited by hcat

5 hours ago, Kteacher said:

Thank you! There was a thread about what your butler will do. On the Reflection our butler set up breakfast on our balcony before our very early excursion. I took this picture as we were pulling into port. 

Gorgeous shot!

We have cruised in the Med twice on the Reflection (one was a TA) and love that ship! Enjoy Barcelona - it's on my bucket list to return there and concentrate on everything Gaudi. I have a great photo from a dinner in Barcelona that was served on our balcony on a beautiful evening - what a lovely city!

Safe travels - let the adventure begin!

A little bit about our flights- we don’t typically book our flights through the cruise line. I started looking at flights right before the fares came out, and knew going in that they were going to be pricey as we were looking at booking business class seats. My husband has some circulatory issues, and had a really tough time the last time we flew on a long flight, even with compression socks and moving around regularly. He also doesn’t particularly enjoy flying, so I wanted to make the experience as easy on him as possible so he wouldn’t start our trip frazzled.

Our airport of choice is Bradley in Hartford. It’s an easy airport to get to and navigate. There aren’t as many international flights as Logan, so I started to get a little creative in my search for flights. I found outgoing flights from Hartford to Philly, and then Philly to Barcelona, and coming back Rome to Philly, and Philly to Logan. The cost pp for business class was $2,665.64, which was actually slightly less than booking direct with AA. I checked recently, and just the leg from Philly to BCN was over $7,000 pp, so I think we did alright.

Our TA booked the flights, and told us to download the CheckMyTrip app. This is an excellent app, and during the time when flights were being cancelled due to the 737 max issue, I received a notification on the app and was able to get rebooked on another flight very quickly.

I’m just a little obsessed with Star Wars. I didn’t pack my light saber skirt this trip (yes, I do have one), but if you are on this cruise with us and come across these beauties their mine. By the way, if you’re not a fan of Star Wars, these are not the droids you’re looking for...

A0740028-A659-48DA-A578-25FAC7A3CD95.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Kteacher said:

I’m just a little obsessed with Star Wars. I didn’t pack my light saber skirt this trip (yes, I do have one), but if you are on this cruise with us and come across these beauties their mine. By the way, if you’re not a fan of Star Wars, these are not the droids you’re looking for...

A0740028-A659-48DA-A578-25FAC7A3CD95.jpeg

Big Star wars fan myself!

We will also be on this sailing.  Leaving tomorrow from Tallahassee to Charlotte to Barcelona...

Looks like an awesome time!

3 hours ago, Kteacher said:

I bought mine on Amazon a few years ago. Bonus is they are easy to spot on the baggage carousels 👍

If I gave one to my son in law...he'd keep it for his collection!

Great find!

16 minutes ago, LadyDivot said:

Looking forward to your thoughts. We're on the Edge next February. But what I really want to see is a pic of your light saber skirt. I'm intrigued!

Just do a quick google search for “light saber skirt” and you’ll find it. I also have an At-At skirt, but that’s a story for another day 😉

4 minutes ago, Kteacher said:

Just do a quick google search for “light saber skirt” and you’ll find it. I also have an At-At skirt, but that’s a story for another day 😉

Very nice. I could see making that work for formal night with the right accessories. Question:  at at skirt - blue or green? LOL

After a lovely flight we experienced one of the quickest plane to baggage and through customs ever. Our plane landed at 8:45 am, we had our bags, cleared customs, and were greeted by the car service driver by 9:15!

The hotel staff are very friendly, and our room was ready before 10:00 am. Time for a quick nap, and then I’ll post some photos.

• Like 1