Small Greek Cruise Ships

luv2cruise79

We are two families with adult children (11 people total) that would like to cruise the Greek Islands on a small cruise ship.  We are planning to go July 2021 for about 7 days.  We have looked at Windstar and it's over our budget.  Variety cruise is in our price range.    We are also looking at the possibility of renting a catamaran that could fit all 11 of us.  It seems like most are not big enough.  Festiva is another option if we go the catamaran route but you don't see as many islands and the smaller cruise ships.  I like the idea that the smaller lines like Variety sail at night so you are able to see more islands.

9 minutes ago, luv2cruise79 said:

We are two families with adult children (11 people total) that would like to cruise the Greek Islands on a small cruise ship.  We are planning to go July 2021 for about 7 days.  We have looked at Windstar and it's over our budget.  Variety cruise is in our price range.    We are also looking at the possibility of renting a catamaran that could fit all 11 of us.  It seems like most are not big enough.  Festiva is another option if we go the catamaran route but you don't see as many islands and the smaller cruise ships.  I like the idea that the smaller lines like Variety sail at night so you are able to see more islands.

You're on the right track by thinking of a yacht charter. Yes, one of the work horses of the charter industry, the 60' cat (usually sleeps 8 passengers), probably would be too small.

Contact a respected worldwide charter broker (e.g., Ed Hamilton Co. - home based in Maine) regarding a crewed/provisioned charter and remember that, like cruise lines, there are good/better/best industry segments. 

BTW, yacht chartering is not as expensive as some folks think.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Have you looked at Star Clippers? They have ships a similar size to Windstar. Their Mediterranean itineraries are significantly less expensive than Windstar (though the price difference is the other way around for Caribbean itineraries). 

Have you considered DIY using the big ferries?  We did that a few years ago embarking from Athens and visiting three IIRC different islands.  Stayed in darling little places.  

Celestyal Cruises.  4 islands in 3 days; 5 in 4 days.  Do a B2B.  You will visit some islands twice, but you can do different things the second time.  Santorini is always worth a second time...  Star Flyer visits six pots in a week.  You could do a B2B2B and only duplicate Piraeus (Athens) where the cruises originate.  EM

12 minutes ago, zqvol said:

If Windstar is over OP's budget they are going to have a tough time. Maybe OP should consider island hopping by using the ferry system.

Which we loved.  And their ferry system is quite something!

4 hours ago, Harley52 said:

Celestyal Cruises is the way to go.  I have sailed with them and they are excellent.. Good Luck and fair winds and following seas.

Experienced them in 2005 when they were Louis Lines.  A four day cruise as part of a land tour.  Six islands in four days.  Ship was very small (11000 tons) and very basic, but the food was terrific.  EM

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Experienced them in 2005 when they were Louis Lines.  A four day cruise as part of a land tour.  Six islands in four days.  Ship was very small (11000 tons) and very basic, but the food was terrific.  EM

As did we, in 2006. The ship they are now using is larger, and I hear good things about it from people who've returned from their cruise.

Some people on CC may have been on this ship when she did the winter seasons in Cuba… 2 or 3 years, I think, before USA ships were allowed in.

41 minutes ago, jocap said:

As did we, in 2006. The ship they are now using is larger, and I hear good things about it from people who've returned from their cruise.

Some people on CC may have been on this ship when she did the winter seasons in Cuba… 2 or 3 years, I think, before USA ships were allowed in.

Hey jocap, I did the 7 day cruise to Cuba, had to fly from Orlando to Montego Bay, Jamaica to catch the ship and circumnavigated Cuba....Excellent cruise....

• Like 1