Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BandBWCsmom

How do you hide your valuables on shore???

Recommended Posts

We are sailing on the Breeze soon with Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya as the itinerary. 

 

The last time I did this trip, we didn't have small children and didn't risk being as easily distracted from our "valuables." I only intend to bring our sign and sail cards, some cash, one credit card and government ID, but am worried about strollers by when we are in the ocean or at the pool while on shore. For example, we have the Mayan Princess All Inclusive booked for Mahogany Bay and I've read there are alot of vendors walking around.  I think those around the neck things can get cumbersome, especially with small ones when you're in the water. 

 

Any tips for how you keep your valuables secreted away? I was looking at the towels with the secret zipper, things like that. Do i need to worry? I want to be able to leave my beach bag on a chair with our towels. 

 

I figure someone has some good ideas for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a locking beach bag (Kyss Bag) that can be locked after being zipped up and also locked to the beach chair.  I have also used a small portable locking safe (Safeco portable locking safe).  When I used the portable locking safe, I put it inside a normal beach bag and locked everything to the chair so that it wasn't obvious there was a safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Beach always presents the most challenging.

 

thinks like cruise card,cc and money are easy, phone less so, everything else I just say accept it could disappear and enjoy.

 

Things like books, towels, bags, strollers are replaceable or bring one that is cheap and can be replaced.

 

things like chains and safe bags only make YOU feel better but don’t make anything less theft prone on a busy tourist beach.  Can’t afford to lose it don’t take it or keep on body and within reach. 

 

Recently we spent two days doing beach, cruise card, cc, money and phone stayed on body in suit and ziplock back( they sell overpriced bags for this as well ), towels ( cruise ship towels ), bag ( recyclable plastic we haul our grocery’s at home ), coverup clothes ( hanging on the rented chairs ).   Our beach setup open and exposed and we felt pretty comfortable in the water and even out of sight on some nice 20 walks.

 

If towels, chairs and bags are going to be stolen just remember how many targets are there, make sure yours looks least tempting 😉

Edited by chipmaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a H2O proof ankle wallet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My REAL valuables which I cannot risk losing and which cannot fit in a waterproof pouch - or just get wet (this category includes children) -  stay in the safe on the ship. A lot of other stuff I would prefer not to lose, but have to be willing to risk it if I want to take it to a Caribbean beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

I have never found those small waterproof pouches to be cumbersome, even while swimming. You are talking about a few oz. of weight.

 

They are inexpensive. Try one at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

 

I have never found those small waterproof pouches to be cumbersome, even while swimming. You are talking about a few oz. of weight.

 

They are inexpensive. Try one at home.

Thank you. great suggestion. They look so big at the waterparks when I see them on others' necks and trying to keep a small child afloat at the same time, i worry will somehow disappear. But, your idea is a good one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have zippered pouches that hang from a beltloop.  They look somewhat like the waist pouches, but instead of an uncomfortable belt that simply can't be worn with swimwear, it has a 3" loop on one end.  It's designed to be threaded on a belt and tucked inside your pants, hanging behind your front pocket.

 

At the beach, DH ties it to the drawstring on his trunks and lets it dangle inside, I attach mine to a sturdy safety pin (like a diaper pin) and tuck it inside my swim-shorts, or thread the strap from my top through it and tuck it into my 'bra'.  Sorry, those of you in bikinis will need a different solution.

 

Grammy made herself a fabric version out of a scrap of nylon, making a drawstring pouch big enough to hold ship cards, credit card and a few bucks.  Onto the bra-strap and tucked inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

My REAL valuables which I cannot risk losing and which cannot fit in a waterproof pouch - or just get wet (this category includes children) -  stay in the safe on the ship. A lot of other stuff I would prefer not to lose, but have to be willing to risk it if I want to take it to a Caribbean beach.

Extremely small children or bank sized safe?  happy cruising  NBT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Extremely small children or bank sized safe?  happy cruising  NBT

The children, of any size, were always permitted to get wet - in fact that was one of the primary reasons to bring them to places where there were beaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had a problem with someone refusing to take cash that was wet. One beachside bar in St. Thomas even had a clothesline inside the trailer to hang the wet bills. So I keep everything in my swimsuit pocket. I take a waterproof camera that has a float and wrist strap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchase a waist wallet from Rick Steeves Travels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have Witz Surfsafe cases that go around our necks or clips to a belt loop for our cash, CC and sail card - its a little larger than the size of a credit card and about a half inch thick .  Never found it to be cumbersome in the water, especially knowing that it contains valuable documents.  I would also see about a stroller lock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A search on Google gave us some good ideas, and most were fairly inexpensive. Take an ordinary item that most thieves wouldn't look into, and put it in your backpack or beach bag. Put your cash, I.D., etc. in the bottom of a small box of tampons, or a small pack of disposable diapers. Use an empty Pringles can (or similar). These are just a few suggestions we found.  Do a little research and decide what will work best for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your credit card, ships card and ID....even cash CAN get wet!  If hubby has a velcro pocket on his swim trunks, stick those things in there!  No one wants your towel, or flip flops!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Harley52 said:

Purchase a waist wallet from Rick Steeves Travels.

It's Rick Steves. And moneybelts are neither designed nor intended to be worn in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mom says said:

It's Rick Steves. And moneybelts are neither designed nor intended to be worn in the water.

Money belts are designed to be worn in the water and are waterproof.  

  • It's, well, waterproof, not only in the shower but for those other fun activities, like rafting or swimming or kayaking. And in the rain.
  • If you're traveling solo, how many times have you wondered what to do with your valuables on the beach? If you've found new friends you can leave your stuff with them, but if you're truly on your own and your lodgings don't have a safe (it does happen) your choices are limited: you'll have to wear your stuff, and a waterproof pouch of some sort may be the only way to keep it all from getting soaked.
  • It's easy to keep clean and dry. Anyone who has ever used a concealed money belt made of cloth or synthetics will tell you how quickly it gets clammy and smelly. This one won't. Just run a soapy cloth inside and out and it's clean.
  • You can get waterproof phone cases as well.

Sold on the waterproof version? Remember you can get lots of styles - waist, of course, but also for the neck, wrist, leg, ankle and armband. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy a "waterproof" wallet on line, I'll suggest you do a wet run with it at home using newspaper or paper toweling.  Fill a sink, insert the paper, seal the wallet and determine if it is indeed waterproof.

 

If there is any leakage, check to make sure you've closed the wallet correctly, some can be challenging.  Others can be ripoffs.  Better to find out at home rather than at a beach with your passport inside the wallet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Harley52 said:

Money belts are designed to be worn in the water and are waterproof.  

  • It's, well, waterproof, not only in the shower but for those other fun activities, like rafting or swimming or kayaking. And in the rain.
  • If you're traveling solo, how many times have you wondered what to do with your valuables on the beach? If you've found new friends you can leave your stuff with them, but if you're truly on your own and your lodgings don't have a safe (it does happen) your choices are limited: you'll have to wear your stuff, and a waterproof pouch of some sort may be the only way to keep it all from getting soaked.
  • It's easy to keep clean and dry. Anyone who has ever used a concealed money belt made of cloth or synthetics will tell you how quickly it gets clammy and smelly. This one won't. Just run a soapy cloth inside and out and it's clean.
  • You can get waterproof phone cases as well.

Sold on the waterproof version? Remember you can get lots of styles - waist, of course, but also for the neck, wrist, leg, ankle and armband. 

 

Post a link to the Rick Steves waterproof moneybelt and I'll believe you. 

Edited by mom says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you secreting your valuables?  If you need them, secreting them away won't be much use, right.....people will see where they're stored.  And if you don't need them, you can leave them in your room safe on the ship.

Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 11:22 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I have a locking beach bag (Kyss Bag) that can be locked after being zipped up and also locked to the beach chair.  I have also used a small portable locking safe (Safeco portable locking safe).  When I used the portable locking safe, I put it inside a normal beach bag and locked everything to the chair so that it wasn't obvious there was a safe.

Love the KYSS bag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 9:51 AM, beachbum53 said:

A search on Google gave us some good ideas, and most were fairly inexpensive. Take an ordinary item that most thieves wouldn't look into, and put it in your backpack or beach bag. Put your cash, I.D., etc. in the bottom of a small box of tampons, or a small pack of disposable diapers. Use an empty Pringles can (or similar). These are just a few suggestions we found.  Do a little research and decide what will work best for you. 

Hiding your valuables in a Pringle’s can stuffed in the bottom of back pack or beach bag will help only if the thief takes the time to sort through it — which is pretty unlikely;  if he has his hands on it, he is likely to take it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Hiding your valuables in a Pringle’s can stuffed in the bottom of back pack or beach bag will help only if the thief takes the time to sort through it — which is pretty unlikely;  if he has his hands on it, he is likely to take it all.

And if the thief has the munchies, they might be all you'd lose!

 

Just joking - I agree with you that hiding your valuables in something ordinary-looking isn't realistically helpful - not only are they likely to steal the entire bag, they've probably also read the same things on Google you did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 11:22 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I have a locking beach bag (Kyss Bag) that can be locked after being zipped up and also locked to the beach chair. 

Love my Kyss bags (I bought 2). If someone is going to take my bag, the chair would go with it! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...