Deployment 2021-22 booking season begins

1 hour ago, andreasfcb said:

That's really a shame, because I like this ship class. It's a shame that Royal is forced to use these «small» ships in Europe, the Radiance class looks so much smaller than the MSC ones that go to the North. I think they even have trips to Spitzbergen.

Anyway, we are excited to see what's coming for Adventure. If it's not appealing, we're going for the Norway-Iceland cruise on Jewel.

It is a shame that big ships like MSC Meraviglia with 5000 people even stop at places like Spitzbergen (they are only able to tender at one port) or Honingsvag. They create just crowds, noice and chaos. Jewel is perfect for that and still a big ship. If you want a newer and even bigger ship than Jewel go with the TUI cruises ships. They have much better itineraries for North Europe, are all inclusive, and prizes are similar to current ridiculous rates from Royal.

4 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

It is a shame that big ships like MSC Meraviglia with 5000 people even stop at places like Spitzbergen (they are only able to tender at one port) or Honingsvag. They create just crowds, noice and chaos. Jewel is perfect for that and still a big ship. If you want a newer and even bigger ship than Jewel go with the TUI cruises ships. They have much better itineraries for North Europe, are all inclusive, and prizes are similar to current ridiculous rates from Royal.

I agree with you, IMHO ships sized like Jewel otS or so are perfect for northern regions.

However luckily MSC Meraviglia does not call at Spitsbergen or North Cape anymore, but Preziosa does.

But could you still answer, why there’s no opportunity for Adventure to call at Tromsø or Honningsvåg?

Edited by shipfriend_max

2 hours ago, shipfriend_max said:

Yeah but those ships are a little smaller.

I have done some research today, and I’ve seen that the draft should be a problem, Adventure has a draft of 9.2 m, MSC Preziosa Of 8.3 m or so, and the draft limit for Tromsø is 9.5 m as far as I read.

Now we have the answer, why Adventure is unlikely to call at Tromsø or Honningsvåg, even Klaipeda is a problem for this ship class.

That’s the reason why Voyager class isn’t ideal for Northern Europe.

The issue is a combination of draft, width and displacement. They are simply to fat to approach some ports at all weather conditions. Even Stockholm, Bergen and Geiranger are tricky. Queen Mary 2 stopped going to Geiranger a while ago, MSC Meraviglia and other big ships currently go to Hellesylt only which is at the entrance to Geirangerfljord. I believe Independence of the Seas was also not able to approach Bergen. Meraviglia, NCL Escape and Royal Princess class do not go to Stockholm due to size issues and time restrictions for safe transits. 

12 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Totally agree. Anyway, we stick with Royal. 😉

To be fair, Voyager class does never have 5k people on board, more like 3k.

1 minute ago, Saab4444 said:

The issue is a combination of draft, width and displacement. They are simply to fat to approach some ports at all weather conditions. Even Stockholm, Bergen and Geiranger are tricky. Queen Mary 2 stopped going to Geiranger a while ago, MSC Meraviglia and other big ships currently go to Hellesylt only which is at the entrance to Geirangerfljord. I believe Independence of the Seas was also not able to approach Bergen. Meraviglia, NCL Escape and Royal Princess class do not go to Stockholm due to size issues and time restrictions for safe transits. 

But then again, Anthem is going to Geiranger (even overnight). You probably right for the other destinations.

20 minutes ago, shipfriend_max said:

I agree with you, IMHO ships sized like Jewel otS or so are perfect for northern regions.

However luckily MSC Meraviglia does not call at Spitsbergen or North Cape anymore, but Preziosa does.

But could you still answer, why there’s no opportunity for Adventure to call at Tromsø or Honningsvåg?

Adventure does not have own tender boats so North Cape and Lofoten are out. The approach to Tromso should not be possible because of her volume (combination of draft, width and water replacement) but I might be wrong and we will know for sure in a few days!

31 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Adventure does not have own tender boats so North Cape and Lofoten are out. The approach to Tromso should not be possible because of her volume (combination of draft, width and water replacement) but I might be wrong and we will know for sure in a few days!

Adventure uses lifeboats to tender

4 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Used them in 2011 at La Spezia then they moved ports to Livorno.

That was my first cruise

Adventure of the seas does not have any tenders, these would have been from the shore. It would be illegal for RC to use one of Adventures lifeboats for these purposes as they are not designed to be used as tenders, just life saving vessels. Other ships in the fleet, like the radiance class, do have tendering lifeboats. I believe the radiance class has 4 each 

2 hours ago, andreasfcb said:

Totally agree. Anyway, we stick with Royal. 😉

To be fair, Voyager class does never have 5k people on board, more like 3k.

Maybe a Spring Break, max Passengers up to 4000 on Class(depending ship) if ever Full, Crew another 1000+. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

31 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

I remember Voyager and Explorer having Tenders when I Cruised them 20yrs ago. They used forward and aft to load/unload

Exactly. On voyager atm and I believe they have at least 8 Tenders on the go as I write.  Adventure would be the sane.  I'm wondering why Jack has even made this an issue. 

2 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

Adventure of the seas does not have any tenders, these would have been from the shore. It would be illegal for RC to use one of Adventures lifeboats for these purposes as they are not designed to be used as tenders, just life saving vessels. Other ships in the fleet, like the radiance class, do have tendering lifeboats. I believe the radiance class has 4 each 

Far back as 30yrs ago on Royal ships, or even 20yrs ago Voyager Class would have 3-4 Tenders mounted in Lifeboat stations. They could be used for either, not Illegal. Back then Coco Cay, Labadee, and St Marten didnt have Piers OR any shore Tender's at the time. Ships brought their own and used them. I remember Sovereign/Majesty, Vision, Enchantment and Voyager Class having these while I was on board

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Far back as 30yrs ago on Royal ships, or even 20yrs ago Voyager Class would have 3-4 Tenders mounted in Lifeboat stations. They could be used for either, not Illegal. Back then Coco Cay, Labadee, and St Marten didnt have Piers OR any shore Tender's at the time. Ships brought their own and used them. I remember Sovereign/Majesty, Vision, Enchantment and Voyager Class having these while I was on board

Firstly, I didnt bring this up as an “issue”, secondly Explorer & Voyager are different ships, they have different lifeboats. Adventure isn’t the same, see here: https://www.beyondships2.com/adventure-of-the-seas-boat-drill.html

i believe somebody brought the topic up as they were talking about specific ports which do not have their own tenders

5 hours ago, MichellePerth said:

Exactly. On voyager atm and I believe they have at least 8 Tenders on the go as I write.  Adventure would be the sane.  I'm wondering why Jack has even made this an issue. 

Voyager does have tenders, Adventure does not. They are the same class of ship but slightly different and that is one of the ways they are different

It's pretty basic really....

The ship MUST have a certain number of lifeboats.

If they have tenders, these can be used as EXTRA lifeboats, but are not counted in the mandatory number.

If you used actual lifeboats for tender operations, you would not have the mandatory number of lifeboats available on the ship because they are in use for tendering.

Add to that, the lifeboats would not be very nice for tendering. Very stuffy and uncomfortable.

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I remember Voyager and Explorer having Tenders when I Cruised them 20yrs ago. They used forward and aft to load/unload

Thanks for that.

Not sure the reason but it did happen. 

I spoke to friends we were with and we were meant to go to Livorno but we ended up in La Spezia.

Next time we cruised on it we went to Livorno. 

Moving on from that, the bottom line is, no Greenland cruise for Adventure.

4 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Thanks for that.

Not sure the reason but it did happen. 

I spoke to friends we were with and we were meant to go to Livorno but we ended up in La Spezia.

Next time we cruised on it we went to Livorno. 

Moving on from that, the bottom line is, no Greenland cruise for Adventure.

However, Iceland shouldn’t be a problem, she already called there in 2013, 2014. So maybe she does a TA via Iceland, or even not that, but she will be refurbished in fall after her Europe season. Let’s see...

16 minutes ago, shipfriend_max said:

However, Iceland shouldn’t be a problem, she already called there in 2013, 2014. So maybe she does a TA via Iceland, or even not that, but she will be refurbished in fall after her Europe season. Let’s see...

I was going to wait and see and also see what Jewel is doing but booked Empress for the Repo on Oct '15 instead.

I did see Celebrity Summit is doing 2 in 2021 to Greenland and Iceland. 

7 hours ago, MichellePerth said:

They added tender boats on Voyager and Explorer when they went to Asia and Australia to be able to serve some islsnds/ports, did not happen (so far) on Adventure.

• Like 1