Lobster dinners?

Vineyard View

29 minutes ago, lextrvlr said:

If lobster isn't as meaningful to you as to others, lobster night in The Restaurant might be a good time to grab a Manfredi's table as many cancel reservations there to head for The Restaurant.

Good thought!

2 hours ago, lextrvlr said:

If lobster isn't as meaningful to you as to others, lobster night in The Restaurant might be a good time to grab a Manfredi's table as many cancel reservations there to head for The Restaurant.

Thanks, Lextrvlr!  I never thought of that - but an excellent idea!

6 hours ago, lextrvlr said:

Great idea!   I have an aversion to eating bugs.

8 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Can never understand the passion for lobster.  I'll take advantage of an empty Manfredi's!

We do not eat she’ll fish and the smell in the MDR on lobster night is a migraine trigger for me.

Manfredi’s was delightful and quiet and they went out of their way for us but don’t tell everyone.

Enjoy!

Edited by orchestrapal

On 8/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, CCWineLover said:

You are not strange.  Wife and I also are not great fans of lobster (I'm sure there are others as well 🙂  )

However, on the 3 cruises we've been on so far, there never was a lobster meal - but we did have a number of other specialty meals.  I spoke with the restaurant manager and he said they try different things on different ships, always looking at something new.  We did, for example, have a "live" grilled swordfish meal (along with other choices) out by the pool deck on our last cruise.  Now that was quite special!!

Not a fan of lobster, but nice that they do this for the pax.  I prefer crab myself.

• Like 1

It’s funny how we all have our take on Viking having lobster dinners on board. I only know that it was a big hit when we sailed. I could care less, but DH is looking forward to the opportunity to enjoy again. I hope it happens for him on our upcoming trip. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

I'm curious about what a "live grilled swoardfish" meal is... ( @CCWineLover )

The images I have in my head are somewhat alarming! 

Too funny!

I meant to say it was so fresh - and they just cut the pieces off the whole big fish right there in front of you, then grilled it as you watched - cooked to your preference!  The taste was so good.

I hate to disappoint people but.... Last night was Lobster night in The Restaurant. We found it disappointing. Granted, it is very hard to cook lobster for hundreds of people. What they do is remove the claws and boil, split the body and broil. Crack the claws and place on the plate with the broiled, split body. Our claws were mushy and over cooked, the tails were small and overcooked. Sorry but this is the one thing we thought Viking  fell below grade with on this cruise. It is not a game changer, but just a bit disappointing. It would be much easier (and more expensive for them) to just have nice size TAILS, broiled with drawn butter. Results in my opinion, would be greatly improved and appreciated.

2 hours ago, retiredman said:

I hate to disappoint people but.... Last night was Lobster night in The Restaurant. We found it disappointing. Granted, it is very hard to cook lobster for hundreds of people. What they do is remove the claws and boil, split the body and broil. Crack the claws and place on the plate with the broiled, split body. Our claws were mushy and over cooked, the tails were small and overcooked. Sorry but this is the one thing we thought Viking  fell below grade with on this cruise. It is not a game changer, but just a bit disappointing. It would be much easier (and more expensive for them) to just have nice size TAILS, broiled with drawn butter. Results in my opinion, would be greatly improved and appreciated.

I guess I was very fortunate - don’t remember if the claws were boiled or broiled (like the body): but nothing mushy - very good - had a second. It was not the very best lobster I’ve ever had, but better than many. I see you’re from South Jersey - so I will admit the Lobster House in Cape May is better - but it beat the lobster I once had on another cruise line.

I have to "grade with a curve", I realize they are cooking for 900 people. I would be astonished if it was better than what I have had at any smaller seafood eatery. It just would not be fair to compare it to some of our Jersey Shore favorites. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retiredman said:

I have to "grade with a curve", I realize they are cooking for 900 people. I would be astonished if it was better than what I have had at any smaller seafood eatery. It just would not be fair to compare it to some of our Jersey Shore favorites. 

Yes, but lets not rain on everyone else's parade. That's not fair. People look forward to Lobster Night; it is something special for them, something they don't get very often. We should just let them get on with enjoying the meal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, but lets not rain on everyone else's parade. That's not fair. People look forward to Lobster Night; it is something special for them, something they don't get very often. We should just let them get on with enjoying the meal.

Do you mean we shouldn't criticize it, if it's not good... or???

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

No,  I am saying that there are times when it is just more polite to keep one's opinions to one's self. Don't rain on my parade.

Is it ok for me to say, "I don't like lobster"?

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 6:50 PM, harbourside said:

I will be disappointed if I do not get a lobster dinner . Sailing on the Orion in September (Asia).

Has anyone had lobster on the Orion when in Asia ?

My sister and BIL were on the Orion last October for a Beijing to Hong Kong cruise, 14 nights, and she said they had whole lobster 2 nights.

Unlike the mass market cruise lines, Viking serves fresh cooked live cold water whole lobsters not the tiny frozen tails. I have to admit the best lobster I ever ate was cooked in outside in a huge cast iron pot at a friends house in Portland Maine, hard to duplicate that experience. 

Edited by terrydtx

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No,  I am saying that there are times when it is just more polite to keep one's opinions to one's self. Don't rain on my parade.

Please don’t take the “Critic” out of Cruise Critic. Of course criticism should always be done in a civil manner. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

My sister and BIL were on the Orion last October for a Beijing to Hong Kong cruise, 14 nights, and she said they had whole lobster 2 nights.

Unlike the mass market cruise lines, Viking serves fresh cooked live cold water whole lobsters not the tiny frozen tails. I have to admit the best lobster I ever ate was cooked in outside in a huge cast iron pot at a friends house in Portland Maine, hard to duplicate that experience. 

My sentiments exactly. I had a similar experience years ago in Maine. But I still look forward to Viking lobster dinners.