Lobster dinners?

Vineyard View

• 2 months later...

😫 no whole lobster on Orion’s Far East Discovery. Likely due to suppliers in Asia. Original menu showed it but a day or three ago it changed to half lobster tail (isn’t that a shrimp?) and a veal medallion. 

We ended up having the California Menu at the Chef's Table which we quite enjoyed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

😫 no whole lobster on Orion’s Far East Discovery. Likely due to suppliers in Asia. Original menu showed it but a day or three ago it changed to half lobster tail (isn’t that a shrimp?) and a veal medallion. 

We ended up having the California Menu at the Chef's Table which we quite enjoyed. 

Not to sidetrack this lobster themed thread, but I don't recognize a California menu for Chef's Table. Is is a new one? Can you give a short description? 

3 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Not to sidetrack this lobster themed thread, but I don't recognize a California menu for Chef's Table. Is is a new one? Can you give a short description? 

California menu:

Granola Bars

Tofu

Kale

Imitation meat

California Rolls (no meat or fish)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

California menu:

Granola Bars

Tofu

Kale

Imitation meat

California Rolls (no meat or fish)

Everything is gluten-free,

and “plant-based”.

and air fried.

Garnished with foam.

And lots of pho.

With just a hint of CBD oil.

Served on 100% recycled cardboard.

Washed down with almond milk (which contains NO milk, by the way.)

Bring your own reusable straw. 😉😎

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
Additions
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Everything is gluten-free,

and “plant-based”.

and air fried.

Garnished with foam.

And lots of pho.

With just a hint of CBD oil.

Served on 100% recycled cardboard.

Washed down with almond milk (which contains NO milk, by the way.)

Bring your own reusable straw. 😉😎

Don't forget nothing can be cooked with an energy source produced with any fossil fuel.

Back to the Lobster Discussion.

We only had one Lobster night on our "Far Eastern Discovery) cruise.  I was on the one before "Clay Clayton".

Originally there was one was on day 7 but that disappeared and we had Lobster on the Captains Farewell night.  It was very disappointing.

It was grilled with Tarragon butter, but the tail did not seem to have much meat and what there was of it was mushy.

I preferred the crab that was available every night in the World Cafe.

Clay, are you having the long treks through Chinese Terminals.  These seem excessive,  and in one case we had to put our bags through the x-ray, and it was about a minute later we had to do it all again while  still trekking through  the  terminal. 

We had perfect weather and completely flat seas.

Lobster thermador is on the menu for sometime before we disembark. We have had the same treks you describe, I suspect the Chinese (and Japan in Okinawa) procedures are set up for large cruise ships and all the back and forthing help with crowd control. 

We have had good weather but rough seas-likely remains of the awful typhoon that hit Japan. 

On 10/12/2019 at 10:59 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Y’all are terrible! 😂  We liked the menu. Especially the crab cake and the halibut.  Shame that the included wines weren’t from California. Otherwise highly recommend. 

B241CD5A-8B6D-433D-A765-7D70428D21A7.jpeg

Thank you for the menu.  It is odd that there is only one Californian wine (premium) on a California menu.

I eat lobster, but mostly for the butter 😉 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Thank you for the menu.  It is odd that there is only one Californian wine (premium) on a California menu.

The Mer Soleil Chardonnay is quite prevalent on Viking Ocean Cruises.  They likely have struck a good deal with them.  They've been on every single cruise we've had and our friends also commented that it was quite common on theirs as well.  And they have/had lots and lots of it.  Probably pretty typical of cruise lines to contract with specific wineries for volume and pricing.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Y’all are terrible! 😂  We liked the menu. Especially the crab cake and the halibut.  Shame that the included wines weren’t from California. Otherwise highly recommend. 

694A8ED0-5C31-44EC-8F1B-DB412F45A074.jpeg

B604A3A4-8C3D-4F15-BA7C-8569167FF399.jpeg

B241CD5A-8B6D-433D-A765-7D70428D21A7.jpeg

Uby #4 was a great find for me.  Not a real wine drinker.  Most seem bitter in my opinion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I eat lobster, but mostly for the butter 😉 

As does my hubby.  And it’s back on the MDR menu with the tarragon butter so we changed our reservations at chrf’s Table again so he can try the lobster.  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, lextrvlr said:

If lobster isn't as meaningful to you as to others, lobster night in The Restaurant might be a good time to grab a Manfredi's table as many cancel reservations there to head for The Restaurant.

Yes,  We didn't realize it was lobster night and would have gone to Manfredi since we have lobster frequently here on LI. It was so crowded at the restaurant!

• Like 1