Empress Of The Seas Sailing from Cape Liberty, Summer of 2020

On 7/31/2019 at 10:11 AM, Biker19 said:

^ those are pretty unique itineraries/ports. RCI will need to get a bunch of French speaking crew for those sailings out of Montreal.

No they won't. Most folks from Montreal speak English......perhaps one guest relations person who speaks French would suffice...same as for other foreign languages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

Is there a shuttle from Newark Airport to the Cape Liberty?  Am on a cruise on Empress of the Seas out of there May 2020.  If not what are my options and general cost?

TIA

DDawg

The Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth has a free airport shuttle and an extra cost  room package that includes a shuttle to the ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Odd.  The two cruises came out exactly the same for me, to the penny.

I mean saves me money because I am not paying for a cruise. Booked the Canada itinerary for May instead.

Edited by marci22

39 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The water is too cool for me in Bermuda in May. Also that is the Portuguese Man of War season. 

I agree July & August are better for swimming, but I like to walk and it is just too hot and humid for me then. Even NE/Canada was too hot for me last August so I booked May this time.

Edited by marci22

I was supposed to sail on the Empress to Bermuda back in 2001.  The day before the sailing we woke up to news there was a fire onboard and the ship turned back to Bermuda.  I ended up on Enchantment instead.  

That new Bermuda itinerary looks fantastic.  I think I know what I'm doing next summer.

On 7/31/2019 at 10:11 AM, Biker19 said:

^ those are pretty unique itineraries/ports. RCI will need to get a bunch of French speaking crew for those sailings out of Montreal.

Not really. We have these itins on Holland America ships for years in Boston. Often people boarding in Montreal just Americans who prefer to start in Montreal and sail to Boston’s rather than other way around. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The water is too cool for me in Bermuda in May. Also that is the Portuguese Man of War season. 

Well.. my husband was stung in July... at Long Warwick Bay near Horseshoe, then I saw one in St George’s.

i agree, water is cooler in May.

I like July - September. Much warmer.

I’m so excited. We booked for Independence Day cruise. 

Royal has made an excellent decision! We are sailing to Bermuda on Summit this September...I was thinking about NCL Gem out of Boston next year, but we couldn’t miss St George’s/Hamilton itinerary!!!

Edited by Tatka

12 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

No they won't. Most folks from Montreal speak English......perhaps one guest relations person who speaks French would suffice...same as for other foreign languages.

Exactly! 

However do you think it will be popular in Quebec? 

We sail a lot with Québécois from Boston or NJ and it look like most prefer warm southern itineraries. 

45 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I agree July & August are better for swimming, but I like to walk and it is just too hot and humid for me then. Even NE/Canada was too hot for me last August so I booked May this time.

Yes, air temperature is very pleasant in May. 

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Not really. We have these itins on Holland America ships for years in Boston. 

We are talking about RCI here- it has been a very long time since any RCI ship has sailed from Montreal or to some of those ports. 

27 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

We are talking about RCI here- it has been a very long time since any RCI ship has sailed from Montreal or to some of those ports. 

I understand. I’m saying that this itinerary will doubtfully interest many Canadians. With so much colder weather they prefer to sail somewhere warmer. Even in New England people prefer warmer itins. We do like to cruise to Maritimes, but people around us are mostly Americans from different states.

i think some number of Québécois will try out of convenience, but I don’t expect it to be many. And most do speak English, ones that don’t usually don’t travel much.

Hi

What do you think of the 7 night Canada/New England itinerary?  Most people are talking about the Bermuda ones.

We have been to Bermuda several times (usually on Anthem) so docked at the Dockyard.  It is definitely appealing to dock right in either Hamilton or St George, but we were thinking of trying the Canada/New England itinerary because it’s different than what we’ve done in the past.

Some of the ports are short stays and there is only 1 sea day at the end of the trip.

Noreen

59 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I understand. I’m saying that this itinerary will doubtfully interest many Canadians. With so much colder weather they prefer to sail somewhere warmer. Even in New England people prefer warmer itins. We do like to cruise to Maritimes, but people around us are mostly Americans from different states.

i think some number of Québécois will try out of convenience, but I don’t expect it to be many. And most do speak English, ones that don’t usually don’t travel much.

Very respectfully, I think that is a generalization. If there are cruises leaving from Montreal, I'm sure that some Canadians will be on them. I've done some of my land traveling in New England and I definitely ran into a fair number of Quebecois. Some of them may prefer a cruise over driving, just like anyone else as another way to travel. 

As for speaking English? In Montreal itself, French is definitely not necessary though my own improved while there. Like in other places, it is very nice and respectful to speak their language and they appreciated my doing so but I was surprised at how widely English was spoken. Outside of Montreal, it's a different story, maybe, but Montreal is much more bilingual than France in my experience.

On the subject of these itineraries, they very much interest me if only it were easier for me to combine the time and money, always the deciding factor rather than interest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Exactly! 

However do you think it will be popular in Quebec? 

We sail a lot with Québécois from Boston or NJ and it look like most prefer warm southern itineraries. 

I hope so!  Montreal is so close to Ottawa, no flight...simply a short bus or train ride. 

I think Quebecers like the warmth like any other cold weather Canadian!  Florida is a popular winter home for Eastern Canadians.  I have too many cruises booked to go on Empress soon. I hope she stays in Montreal for a few years....I’ve left out of both Montreal and Quebec City on other cruise lines and it’s great. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

The Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth has a free airport shuttle and an extra cost  room package that includes a shuttle to the ship.

I'm staying at the Doubletree in Newark.....they have an airport shuttle, and a pay port shuttle. It was recommended to me by someone on this cruise. I can't remember the cost of the port shuttle but it seemed reasonable when I heard the price.

5 hours ago, Wanderista said:

Very respectfully,

As for speaking English? In Montreal itself, French is definitely not necessary though my own improved while there. Like in other places, it is very nice and respectful to speak their language and they appreciated my doing so but I was surprised at how widely English was spoken. Outside of Montreal, it's a different story, maybe, but Montreal is much more bilingual than France in my experience.

On the subject of these itineraries, they very much interest me if only it were easier for me to combine the time and money, always the deciding factor rather than interest.

I would hope that Montreal and Quebec are bilingual, they are part of Canada where there are two official languages....but politics aside....both Montreal and Quebec City are business centres where English is necessary to conduct business both internationally and within Canada.  Their language isn't just French.....so speaking English is highly regarded as well.

Also, in case anyone wants to know...Quebecers are people who live in Quebec. The Quebecois are decendents of those who first settled in Quebec......unless they are part of the Separatiste political party. They consider themselves loyal to France and not to Canada.  For the most part the people of Quebec are very nice...it's the politicians who are ruining it.....by their attitudes.   Just a little bit of je ne sais quoi. 😊 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 7:23 AM, Snit13 said:

Love Empress but don't think I would want to sail her from Cape Liberty to Bermuda.  Seas can get quite rough and she is small. 

So - we sailed Empress from New York in 2000 and 2003. Both times we went to Bermuda.  Loved it and not a problem.  Took our kids in 2003 and have so many fond memories. Love that we can dock in Hamilton and St. George again.  We plan to book and enjoy time to ourselves.  A great little ship - can't wait to sail on her again!

On 7/31/2019 at 7:23 AM, Snit13 said:

Love Empress but don't think I would want to sail her from Cape Liberty to Bermuda.  Seas can get quite rough and she is small. 

So - we sailed "Nordic  Empress" from New York in 2000 and 2003. Both times we went to Bermuda.  Loved it and not a problem.  Took our kids in 2003 and have so many fond memories. Love that we can dock in Hamilton an "d St. George again.  We plan to book and enjoy time to ourselves.  A great little ship - can't wait to sail on her again!