Actual Passport - on shore during excursion

BandBWCsmom

Forgive me if this is redundant to all of you that answer these questions, but it appears the state department says you should always take your actual passport on shore during an excursion. It also appears that the cruise line says a government issued ID (license) is sufficient with your sign and sail card. 

What do most of you do? take the real passport on shore? 

9 minutes ago, BandBWCsmom said:

Forgive me if this is redundant to all of you that answer these questions, but it appears the state department says you should always take your actual passport on shore during an excursion. It also appears that the cruise line says a government issued ID (license) is sufficient with your sign and sail card. 

This innocent and sensible question is apt to trigger another bout of an irreconcilable dispute.

i tend to leave my passport in the safe, unless it is required. For example in 2017 passports were examined and stamped before and after shore excursions at LaHavre.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheOldBear said:

This innocent and sensible question is apt to trigger another bout of an irreconcilable dispute.

i tend to leave my passport in the safe, unless it is required. For example in 2017 passports were examined and stamped before and after shore excursions at LaHavre.

Thank you. I didn't mean to start a fire storm. We have our passports for our family of four and are bringing on the cruise. I was just unsure about the difference between the cruise line guidance and the state department's. (and concerned about being on shore and them being stolen). I would rather do what the majority do...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Same here.  Passport stays onboard, in the safe.  We use driver's license with ship's card to reboard ship.

UNLESS it's required that we take our passport ashore.  There are a few places we had to.

• Like 1

We bring our passports with us if the excursion takes us quite some distance from the ship, or if required by the country we are visiting. We don't worry about theft in those cases because we wear a moneybelt or neck pouch which keeps them safe. Obviously unlikely that we would be doing a beach day in those circumstances. When  going to the beach we just bring ship card and DL, and a photocopy of the passport (just in case).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BandBWCsmom said:

I was just unsure about the difference between the cruise line guidance and the state department's. (and concerned about being on shore and them being stolen). I would rather do what the majority do...

I think the majority leave them in their cabin safe. That is indeed what cruise lines recommend, but can you post a link to that State Dept advice?

Some ports need photo ID to pass through security when returning to the ship. Some folk carry a photocopy, some keep a copy on their phone, others use their driving licences. And some use their passports.

The risk of a passport being lost or stolen ashore is significantly higher than the risk of missing your sailaway.

And if you're "missing ashore" when the ship sails the crew normally search your cabin safe (but not your entire cabin) for your passports & mebbe other stuff, and hand them to the port agent. The ship's Port Agent's contact details are in the daily news-sheet, so it's worth jotting those details down.

That said - and to avoid this thread from over-heating :classic_biggrin: - most of us agree that it's best to do what you are comfortable doing.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I think the majority leave them in their cabin safe. That is indeed what cruise lines recommend, but can you post a link to that State Dept advice?

Some ports need photo ID to pass through security when returning to the ship. Some folk carry a photocopy, some keep a copy on their phone, others use their driving licences. And some use their passports.

The risk of a passport being lost or stolen ashore is significantly higher than the risk of missing your sailaway.

And if you're "missing ashore" when the ship sails the crew normally search your cabin safe (but not your entire cabin) for your passports & mebbe other stuff, and hand them to the port agent. The ship's Port Agent's contact details are in the daily news-sheet, so it's worth jotting those details down.

That said - and to avoid this thread from over-heating :classic_biggrin: - most of us agree that it's best to do what you are comfortable doing.

Hi! This is the State Department website that says to bring it despite the cruise lines suggesting differently. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

13 minutes ago, BandBWCsmom said:

Hi! This is the State Department website that says to bring it despite the cruise lines suggesting differently. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

Hmmm, difficult to interpret that phraseology. :classic_unsure:

I read it as "always bring your your passport on the cruise even if you're on a closed-loop cruise which doesn't need one". And I'd agree with that advice.

But others might read it as "take it ashore with you at the ports".

Mebbe this thread will over-heat with different interpretations  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I read it as "always bring your your passport on the cruise even if you're on a closed-loop cruise which doesn't need one". And I'd agree with that advice.

Mebbe this thread will over-heat with different interpretations  :classic_biggrin:

I agree with you. I was a paralegal before my current profession and I find I am very literal. I take it to mean have it with you always, but I see the grey area. I didn't even see it the way you do. Maybe you're right and the masses shall weigh in..

Mine ALWAYS stays on board, except this past June when we took an Alaska cruise and one of the excursions went into Canada.  A passport was mandatory.  For closed loop cruises one doesn't even need a passport if an American citizen, so the point  about bringing it ashore is basically moot.   For peace of mind, its in my safe. I have also travelled extensively in Europe and never carried it on my person unless crossing borders or on my way home.

44 minutes ago, John Bull said:

It also says:

• Consider storing your travel documents and other valuables in a secure spot, such as a room or ship’s safe.

Sounds like the passport should be left on the ship, in the safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Same here. 

Passport stays on board, in the safe. 

We use driver's license with ship's card to re board ship.

UNLESS it's required that we take our passport ashore.  There are a few places we had to.

Most ports only request that you have a photo ID and your ship card.

But leave your cash or some other form  of money for souvenirs before you leave.😶

Edited by $hip$hape

57 minutes ago, BandBWCsmom said:

44 minutes ago, John Bull said:

20 minutes ago, BandBWCsmom said:

I agree with you. I was a paralegal before my current profession and I find I am very literal. I take it to mean have it with you always, but I see the grey area. I didn't even see it the way you do. Maybe you're right and the masses shall weigh in..

I think it's most reasonable to interpret "on the cruise" as not equating equate to a need to bring it ashore. The examples given of why you should bring it on the cruise, "in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency" intrinsically have nothing to do with being ashore, but rather with cruising in and of itself. 

Also those of us who have been traveling long enough may recall that prior versions of the State Department website specifically recommended not carrying your passport on your person, but rather leaving it in a secure place such as a safe. That was a general recommendation applicable to all foreign travel.

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I think it's most reasonable to interpret "on the cruise" as not equating equate to a need to bring it ashore. The examples given of why you should bring it on the cruise, "in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency" intrinsically have nothing to do with being ashore, but rather with cruising in and of itself. 

Also those of us who have been traveling long enough may recall that prior versions of the State Department website specifically recommended not carrying your passport on your person,

but rather leaving it in a secure place such as a safe.

That was a general recommendation applicable to all foreign travel.😶

OP... Please.

If you are just another tourist (and not doing something illicit) 

Just go with the flow.

Also, They also don't care what's in your 7 day pill case, unless U are a drug smuggler.

Edited by $hip$hape

4 hours ago, BandBWCsmom said:

The answer, at least in my opinion, to a large extent depends on where you are. Some countries that you visit require you to have your passport, most don't. It also depends on the cruise line you are sailing on. Some of the upscale/luxury lines hold it for you and they are not going to leave without you, the mass market lines leave you on your own.

The bottom line is that each cruiser has to decide what they are comfortable with.

5 hours ago, BandBWCsmom said:

Sometimes I follow directions to a T, other times I use my personal judgment.

Unless I need it for a known must have in port or out and about in a city have ALWAYS left in on the ship or locked in my hotel safe.  Only when there was no safe then I carry it with me.   

Reasoning, my chance of getting stopped by authorities and have it demanded and not producing it and things going south is far lower then losing it or getting my hotel or ship robbed by someone ( only thing in my safe is usually passport, extra CC, even cash have little to none in the safe ).

popcorn.JPG

I don't like carrying things with me that I don't have to when we go ashore so unless I need to carry our passports for some reason (required by local authorities or for a shore excursion) we leave them in the cabin safe. In the unlikely event that we miss the ship we trust that the ship's crew will obtain them and hand them off to the port agent (especially if we call and let them know the situation). This is really a personal decision with no right or wrong answer, you have to do what works for you (which may be different than what works for others).

20 hours ago, BandBWCsmom said:

The guidance from State Department is to have a Passport Book (not Card) with you on a cruise. Many, myself included, will place that in a safe onboard and leave it there. No need to take it ashore. Re-entry to the port is via photo i.d. (drivers license), re-entry to the ship is via your ship's keycard. If you should NEED your passport, e.g. for emergency travel from ashore back to the U.S., someone can go and retrieve your passport for you. 

Also note that on some itineraries the ship collects all passports and holds them through much of the voyage, in which cases you don't even have an option about carrying them ashore!

Stan

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:34 PM, BandBWCsmom said:

This part?

• Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it.

I think they mean bring it along on the cruise. I dont see a recommendation that you should necessarily take it ashore during an excursion. In the "During Your Cruise" section they recommend storing travel documents and other valuables in a secure place such as a safe.

Edited by Underwatr

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

This part?

• Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it.

I think they mean bring it along on the cruise. I dont see a recommendation that you should necessarily take it ashore during an excursion. In the "During Your Cruise" section they recommend storing travel documents and other valuables in a secure place such as a safe.

The State Department advice is written so that it can be interpreted the way that you want to but it still comes down to each person doing what they feel comfortable doing. 

13 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Note that it's in the Before You Travel section rather than the During Your Cruise section. I'm comfortable with my interpretation (possibly also because I've seen pickpockets at work).

Our interpretation is the same, but I have seen folks interpret it differently to support the way they do things. 

The cruise line will make announcements and also provide in written form what identification that passengers need to take with them at each port in order to get back on the ship.  For the ports I have visited on my cruises, it's been a government issued ID for passengers over 16 and the sea pass card.  We leave our passports in the safe.  Should someone in my party experience an emergency at one of the ports, we can contact the ship and have someone retrieve the passports.  That is an easy process and the best way to prevent our passports from getting lost, stolen, or damaged.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, BandBWCsmom said:

If you intend to do an excursion on your own. yes take it with you in case you miss the ship. Any excursion purchased on board is covered. So no need. Foreign ports might requirer you to have one to re board. That I am not sure about. I am sure someone knows. The Caribbean, the Bahamas and other locations Panama Costa Rica, Mexico etc. do not require you to carry your pass port. Only the ships card and another form of ID with your picture. Drivers License etc.

• Like 1