Actual Passport - on shore during excursion

BandBWCsmom

If I am worried about missing the ship, or we are taking a far-off excursion (from Cozumel to the mainland) then we take them.  Usually we take a ship's excursion or just wander around the shopping area or go nearby (for example taking the taxi to Paradise Beach in Cozumel) then we only take our passport cards and leave the book in the safe.

19 hours ago, melissa84 said:

If I am worried about missing the ship, or we are taking a far-off excursion (from Cozumel to the mainland) then we take them.  Usually we take a ship's excursion or just wander around the shopping area or go nearby (for example taking the taxi to Paradise Beach in Cozumel) then we only take our passport cards and leave the book in the safe.

The general practice for cruise ships if if a passenger doesn't make it, rumor was that they will attempt to locate ( look in safe ) and leave it with port agent to facilitate your travel back to ship or home. 

I always, always keep my passport on me, and here's why:

Yes, the ship will tell you what time you have to be back onboard.  Yes, I always leave plenty of time to return from a shore excursion.  Yes, I like to stand on deck and heckle the dock runners racing to get onboard at the last minute.

But....stuff happens.  And, if I have my passport and an emergency credit card on me, I can get a flight back to the United States from anywhere in the world.  Not that I've ever had to use that plan, nor do I ever anticipate it, but I don't want to be stuck in a foreign country with no way out.

53 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

I always, always keep my passport on me, and here's why:

Yes, the ship will tell you what time you have to be back onboard.  Yes, I always leave plenty of time to return from a shore excursion.  Yes, I like to stand on deck and heckle the dock runners racing to get onboard at the last minute.

But....stuff happens.  And, if I have my passport and an emergency credit card on me, I can get a flight back to the United States from anywhere in the world.  Not that I've ever had to use that plan, nor do I ever anticipate it, but I don't want to be stuck in a foreign country with no way out.

To be fair, the "no way out" is somewhat hyperbolic. 

You go to the Embassy/Consulate, you fill out some paperwork, wait  24hrs for your emergency passport, then you fly home.

Edited by Icon901

36 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

To be fair, the "no way out" is somewhat hyperbolic. 

You go to the Embassy/Consulate, you fill out some paperwork, wait  24hrs for your emergency passport, then you fly home.

Yeah, but if I have my passport, no need to visit the Embassy/Consulate, deal with government red tape, wait for passport.  I already have it.  I go to the airport, and fly home.  

34 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

Yeah, but if I have my passport, no need to visit the Embassy/Consulate, deal with government red tape, wait for passport.  I already have it.  I go to the airport, and fly home.  

I don't disagree, but you're also adding the not insignificant risk and inconvenience of having to carry it on your person during excursions.

If your idea of excursions is doing a bit of walking around and shopping, that's less of a concern. If your're more active and like to swim/snorkel/dive/etc then storing your passport and keeping it safe and dry becomes a bit more headache than most cruisers want to deal with. 

I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone who wants to keep it on them that they shouldn't. I was just correcting the assertion that there's "no way out" IF you happen to somehow miss the ship, and IF they don't pull your passport from your safe and leave it for you. :) 

Cheers 

6 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

I don't disagree, but you're also adding the not insignificant risk and inconvenience of having to carry it on your person during excursions.

If your idea of excursions is doing a bit of walking around and shopping, that's less of a concern. If your're more active and like to swim/snorkel/dive/etc then storing your passport and keeping it safe and dry becomes a bit more headache than most cruisers want to deal with. 

I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone who wants to keep it on them that they shouldn't. I was just correcting the assertion that there's "no way out" IF you happen to somehow miss the ship, and IF they don't pull your passport from your safe and leave it for you. 🙂

Cheers 

You're right, there is a way out.....but as someone who had a passport stolen in the mid-90s in Ecuador, let me tell you, it's a royal pain in the you-know-what to have one reissued when you're abroad, and it's only gotten worse since then.

I actually do sometimes do some walking around in port, but I'm also a water junkie.  I swim, snorkle, go on catamaran excurions....lots of stuff.  I've also been known to fly through the trees on zip lines.  Most of those places have lockers.  I have a pocket in my bag that I keep nothing but my passport and ship card in.  No one ever sees it.  Stuff gets locked up.  Never had a problem.  When I *did* lose it, it was because someone cut the bottom out of my bag (the Ecuador incident).  Even if they do that, the side pocket will be fine.

3 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

You're right, there is a way out.....but as someone who had a passport stolen in the mid-90s in Ecuador, let me tell you, it's a royal pain in the you-know-what to have one reissued when you're abroad, and it's only gotten worse since then.

You're making the exact argument against carrying your passport on an excursion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

You're making the exact argument against carrying your passport on an excursion!

Then you read it wrong.  My point is, if for some reason, the ship leaves and I'm not on it, I want a passport to use at the airport to get home.  If it's on the ship, that's a problem.  Then I have to screw around with the Embassy/Consulate, and meanwhile, I'm stuck in some foreign country until the US government gets its act together and decides to issue me a new one.  It can be 24 hours.....it can also take longer than that.  Mine took two weeks in Ecuador.  If it's in my pocket/bag, I can be on the next flight home.  Do YOU want to take that chance?  If so, have at it.  As for me, my passport goes with me wherever I go....just in case.

You related having your passport stolen, but you believe it will never happen again.

They make an effort to retrieve your passport from the safe and provide it to the port agent before leaving. Just don't hide it someplace other than in the safe.

Just now, Underwatr said:

You related having your passport stolen, but you believe it will never happen again.

They make an effort to retrieve your passport from the safe and provide it to the port agent before leaving. Just don't hide it someplace other than in the safe.

Have you ever had experience with that?  As far as I can tell, that's an urban myth, and I'd rather not test that out.  I also said the bottom of my bag was slashed, and I no longer keep it in the main compartment of my bag - lesson learned.

40 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

Have you ever had experience with that?  As far as I can tell, that's an urban myth, and I'd rather not test that out.  I also said the bottom of my bag was slashed, and I no longer keep it in the main compartment of my bag - lesson learned.

It seems like it would be a simple process to contact the ship and have them retrieve the passport from the safe in the event of a delay that will cause passengers to miss the ship.  I always plan on being back on the ship two hours before all aboard, so if there is an emergency with someone in my party, I will know in plenty of time to contact the ship and have them retrieve the passports.

Edited by TNcruising02

It seems that you've had your passport stolen from your possession.

Now we need to hear from someone who was left behind and the ship didn't retrieve their passport from the safe.

Until then, we're only sure about what can happen if you bring it ashore with you.

3 hours ago, BensonFan711 said:

It can be 24 hours.....it can also take longer than that.  Mine took two weeks in Ecuador.  

Please explain the circumstances that led to your emergency passport taking two weeks in Ecuador. Did you have the necessary items to apply for an Emergency passport (DL/Photo of Passport/etc)? 

I'm actually very interested considering I'll be in Ecuador (Quito & Cuenca) next month. 

3 hours ago, BensonFan711 said:

There have been quite a few folks on this forum that have posted about exactly this happening (their passports being fished out and left with the port attendant). I can't confirm if they're lying or not, but that would be a strange thing for someone to lie about 😄 

2 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

Please explain the circumstances that led to your emergency passport taking two weeks in Ecuador. Did you have the necessary items to apply for an Emergency passport (DL/Photo of Passport/etc)? 

I'm actually very interested considering I'll be in Ecuador (Quito & Cuenca) next month. 

Don’t lose your passport and it won’t be an issue. Considering you’ve been basically stalking and criticizing me on multiple boards, you clearly already think you know everything there is to know, so you don’t need anything from me. Toodles!

4 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

Don’t lose your passport and it won’t be an issue. Considering you’ve been basically stalking and criticizing me on multiple boards, you clearly already think you know everything there is to know, so you don’t need anything from me. Toodles!

If it was that easy, then why did you lose yours? :) 

In the event that you do think you will miss the ship, the daily on board program will have the contact information for the port agent.  The phone number is printed in the program and the address.  The port agent will be the one to notify the ship that you aren't going to make the departure time and then the ball starts rolling and things will be removed from your cabin.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

In the event that you do think you will miss the ship, the daily on board program will have the contact information for the port agent.  The phone number is printed in the program and the address.  The port agent will be the one to notify the ship that you aren't going to make the departure time and then the ball starts rolling and things will be removed from your cabin.

Exactly. Phone is a great tool ashore, and international plans are only $10/24hrs. 

I carry a phone and small wallet with Passport Card, Ship Card, Credit Card, and some cash. all easily fits in my zipped pocket... and is waterproof.  I also carry my DJI Osmo Pocket Gimbal Camera (which works on it's own or with the phone)

Phone acts as:
Camera to shoot 4K movies / awesome photos (in tandem with DJI Osmo Pocket Gimbal)
GPS to navigate around
A web browser (to look up info about places ashore)
A way to communicate with your group if you split up
A place to store digital copies of important documents
mobile payment platform

....and of course... a phone to call establishments, taxis, travelmates, the ship, etc. 

If you are somehow going to miss the ship, call them and they'll have your passport and luggage waiting for you when you get to the dock. Otherwise your passport is safely aboard the ship where it can't be lost or stolen, or get wet/damaged. 

Different strokes for different folks:) 

Edited by Icon901
  • Like 1

This topic has generally caused lots of disagreement on CC, among frequent cruisers.  Our own advice is quite simple.  If you decide to carry your Passport off the ship (or out of a hotel) make sure you have it in a very secure place.  If you decide to go swimming, snorkeling, diving, etc. you might want to carefully consider your options.  Personally, having spend several thousand days out of the country (on many cruises and land trips) we prefer to keep our Passports locked securely in our cabin or hotel safe...except when it is absolutely necessary to have those documents on our person.  Other then in Russia there have been few places where we felt in necessary to carry our Passports.  The other exception is when we rent cars in Europe (we do this quite often) when some agencies prefer to see an original Passport.  But even in these situations we have often just given them a copy of the main Passport page (they want to copy the Passport number) which they reluctantly accepted.

Hank

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, BensonFan711 said:

Many times I have enjoyed hanging over the railing above the gangway and waiting for last minute drama.  I once saw a cruise line official hand over two passports to the port agent after repeatedly calling the names of two people who had not returned to the ship.  Then I saw the two missing passengers come belting up to the ship in a bread van, and I heard the port agent speak to them, saw him look at their key cards, and give them the passports before they sprinted up the gangway.  No, I wasn’t one of the actual passengers, but I was an eyewitness to the passport retrieval and handover process, so I am 100% convinced that it exists.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Many times I have enjoyed hanging over the railing above the gangway and waiting for last minute drama.  I once saw a cruise line official hand over two passports to the port agent after repeatedly calling the names of two people who had not returned to the ship.  Then I saw the two missing passengers come belting up to the ship in a bread van, and I heard the port agent speak to them, saw him look at their key cards, and give them the passports before they sprinted up the gangway.  No, I wasn’t one of the actual passengers, but I was an eyewitness to the passport retrieval and handover process, so I am 100% convinced that it exists.

There is no doubt about the process but it becomes a bit confusing because many CC posters only think in terms of closed-loop cruises.  On all other cruises, a Passport is required and becomes a major issue.  Being stuck in a European or Asian country for a few days (while waiting to get an emergency Passport replacement) can be very very expensive (we are talking thousands of dollars).

Hank

For us, it depends where we are.  In all honesty, we really only carry them where required or we're a little more apprehensive traveling.  We carried them in LeHavre, but only because we rented a car.  Had to have it for the rental, but I wanted to be safe in case something happened since we were driving a couple hours away from port.  We also carried them in Turkey, again, just to be safe in case something went wrong.  Other than that, we've never taken the actual passport.  We have electronic copies on our phones as well as a paper photocopy that I carry in the backpack.  We'll have them with us on our upcoming cruise that stops in China, but I believe that's required by Chinese law anyway.