Which is better for Alaska - Norwegien Bliss vs Princess Ruby

safer

1 hour ago, safer said:

We can't decide which ship to take to Alaska - the Bliss or the Ruby.  Opinions welcomed !! Thanks in advance!!

Might I suggest that you change your font to dark non-script characters. Your current light/cursive choice is unreadable on the mobile version of CC.

Have not been on the Bliss, but have cruised NCL before.  We think the food on Princess is much better than the NCL we've done.  The Bliss is HUGE.  I've seen it in Alaska ports.  If you aren't persuaded by the water slide, rock wall, the bumper cars etc, I'd suggest PCL.  We were on the Ruby for a 12-day, LA round-trip to AK in April for the very first cruise to AK for this season.  We loved it.  Now Ruby is doing RT Seattle and Glacier Bay IS on all the itineraries (assuming you're looking at 2019?)  Just my opinion 🙂

I have not sailed on NCL, so can't offer an opinion. However, we took Princess (Golden) a few years ago to Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle, and thought they did a fabulous job. Great speakers, commentary during the sail through Glacier Bay, salmon-themed buffet...They've been in Alaska for a long time and it's one of their specialties. I would highly recommend it. - Musing About Cruising

• Like 1

It might come down to if you like to dress up:  Princess still has "Formal Nights" and pants are required in the dining rooms for dinner.  Norwegian is casual all the time, eat when you wish, several dining venues to choose from and shorts allowed in most dining rooms for dinner.  

On 8/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sauer-kraut said:

It might come down to if you like to dress up:  Princess still has "Formal Nights" and pants are required in the dining rooms for dinner.  Norwegian is casual all the time, eat when you wish, several dining venues to choose from and shorts allowed in most dining rooms for dinner.  

I tend to agree NCL has a much more liberal and freestyle atmosphere, but I caution you telling people that they can show up for dinner in their shorts and sandals ( guys ) at the main dining rooms,.    I just did a one week NCL, saw jeans and t-shrits but can't recall anyone showing up in the shorts and sandals.   

I agree dressing up isn't for everyone but a pair of slacks and nice shirt shouldn't be too much trouble for everyone 😁 

There are quite a few considerations.  If one wants to spend some land time in Alaska (we especially recommend going to Denali) then Princess is a major force in Alaska with their own lodge, bus line, train cars, etc.   A negative for the Ruby Princess is that the vessel does not have an indoor/all weather pool. 

Hank

I agree, Glacier bay should be in the itinerary. And the smaller the ship the better. Also depending when you will take the cruise, in the beginning and at the end of the season the weather can be chilly so check the pool locations (indoor/outdoor) if you like to be able to use the pool. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sauer-kraut said:

It might come down to if you like to dress up:  Princess still has "Formal Nights" and pants are required in the dining rooms for dinner.

I know what you meant when you wrote that, but when I read it, it sure brought some funny pictures to my mind!!! 🤣

Tom

IIRC, both go into Glacier Bay but i would much rather do it on the Ruby than the behemoth, Bliss.  Princess has been doing Alaska for years whereas NCL even admits that they are the youngest fleet cruising to Alaska - whether that means demographics, age of ships or when they began cruising there I'm not sure.

On 7/31/2019 at 10:11 AM, Essiesmom said:

wrap around outside promenade deck for viewing

Bliss has the Waterfront that wraps from forward elevator to forward elevator, around the back of the ship - deck 8.  There is also the amazing Observation Lounge, which would be the place to be if the weather is less than ideal.