May 2020 Ovation cruise just cancelled - is this normal for Seabourn?

MJfromCA

Well, I can't comment about the world economy, except for the fact that my husband's business which involves all aspects of eldercare is doing very well.  Our 21 day cruise on the Ovation was canceled last week and I was very disappointed because it was to occur over our 50th wedding anniversary.  Yesterday I received word from our wonderful TA that we are now booked on a new 21 day cruise on the Ovation, beginning on on the same date, in the same cabin, with a 10% discount for the inconvenience of an itinerary change.  The cruise is almost exactly the same, starting first with a traditional Baltic itinerary and continuing to Oslo, but then instead of ending in Dublin, we'll do a few stops in Scotland and end in Dover. All in all I was very happy with the substitute.  As an aside we sailed all through the great recession and every ship we sailed on was full.

I think Seabourn must be making changes in anticipation of the two new ships coming into service and perhaps in an effort to keep itineraries from becoming totally stale. 

13 hours ago, Sunviking said:

Well, I can't comment about the world economy, except for the fact that my husband's business which involves all aspects of eldercare is doing very well.  Our 21 day cruise on the Ovation was canceled last week and I was very disappointed because it was to occur over our 50th wedding anniversary.  Yesterday I received word from our wonderful TA that we are now booked on a new 21 day cruise on the Ovation, beginning on on the same date, in the same cabin, with a 10% discount for the inconvenience of an itinerary change.  The cruise is almost exactly the same, starting first with a traditional Baltic itinerary and continuing to Oslo, but then instead of ending in Dublin, we'll do a few stops in Scotland and end in Dover. All in all I was very happy with the substitute.  As an aside we sailed all through the great recession and every ship we sailed on was full.

I think Seabourn must be making changes in anticipation of the two new ships coming into service and perhaps in an effort to keep itineraries from becoming totally stale. 

I think it's wonderful that the busy is booming for your husband.Mr. SLSD and I have mothers in their 90s and we take advantage of many services for the elderly. It is quite a good niche I am sure.  On the other hand, there are signs of a downturn generally.  Your husband's business will  probably not be affected. 

Last night I took a look at the 10Q for Carnival Corporation.  Of course Seabourn is a subsidiary, so there wasn't a lot of specific information about it on the form, but I did note that Carnival had to walk back its guidance issued this past March.  The message of the 10Q seemed to show that certain key metrics were not performing as expected.  Perhaps this has contributed to Seabourn stirring the pot a bit in terms of altering some already set itineraries.  I think financial struggle is too strong a term, but altering their plan to better meet current conditions, might be more accurate.  

Edited by SLSD

There has been lots of itinerary changes on Ovation. Mainly because of the Changes coming up from Arabia in March/April 

its very unusual we have only ever seen it once or twice.

P&O have last night cancelled all the Dubai Cruises. 

Its all a bit up in the air!

we have been to portovenere and it’s beautiful!  

My own sense is that the 2021 world cruise is selling well, particularly the Miami to Sydney segment of 59 days since I know 10 couples on that route as booked. The westbound direction and those fabulous ports are a winning combination. 

Unquote.

It's an eastbound direction. Great ports.

53 minutes ago, longton said:

My own sense is that the 2021 world cruise is selling well, particularly the Miami to Sydney segment of 59 days since I know 10 couples on that route as booked. The westbound direction and those fabulous ports are a winning combination. 

Unquote.

It's an eastbound direction. Great ports.

No it’s not.  Through the Panama Canal and trans Pacific 

We were just informed that the May 2020 cruise on the Quest has been cancelled. We are offered an alternative (similar, but not the same) itinerary on the Ovation.  Our previous trip was 11 days - this on is 14 days.  They are giving it to us at the same price and with an additional $200 in on board credit.  I like the new embarkation port (Monte-Carlo) and we still end up in Dover.  We add two stops in Spain but miss a stop in Belgium (my only real complaint).  We also can choose another 14 day or less itinerary and will have a 10% discount to any cabin we pick.  I am still waiting to see the new  itineraries before making up my mind. We must decide by august 31..

Our Ovation Oct 8th 2020 Lisbon to Barcelona and Oct 18th Barcelona to Athens has also been cancelled as well...have sailed with Seabourn 232 days! We are not happy with the “rules” to rebook....we might be interested in 2021 fall or winter...but no schedule yet....except the WC 2021, which we are not allow to book? Or anything over 21 days on the re-book.....does not seem like they want our business....so we have booked Crystal for 2021 & 2022....at least they have their schedules out....come on Seabourn get your act together!

On 8/18/2019 at 3:46 AM, Love Sea Days said:

Our Ovation Oct 8th 2020 Lisbon to Barcelona and Oct 18th Barcelona to Athens has also been cancelled as well...have sailed with Seabourn 232 days! We are not happy with the “rules” to rebook....we might be interested in 2021 fall or winter...but no schedule yet....except the WC 2021, which we are not allow to book? Or anything over 21 days on the re-book.....does not seem like they want our business....so we have booked Crystal for 2021 & 2022....at least they have their schedules out....come on Seabourn get your act together!

Schedules have been out for 5 days now. 

Our cruise on the Quest, which was going to Spain and Morocco next May, has also been cancelled. This comes just a few months after our cruise to Cuba was cancelled. Obviously it is not Seabourn’s fault that we can no longer travel to Cuba but it is extremely upsetting to have two consecutive cruises cancelled and Seabourn seem very unapologetic that they have messed up many peoples holidays, with seemingly little explanation. Because we had flights booked for the Cuba cruise we had little choice but to take the replacement Caribbean cruise, but it certainly would not have been a cruise I would have chosen to celebrate my birthday. Now with the second cruise being cancelled I have the choice of taking a cruise where I have been to all the ports but be on holiday to celebrate my fortieth wedding anniversary or take an almost identical one to the one I had originally booked but which goes earlier and miss being away to celebrate my Ruby wedding anniversary. What were originally two holidays that we were excited to be going on have now become very disappointing. Holidays should be happy things, not a lot of aggravation. 

3 hours ago, Ashwood said:

. What were originally two holidays that we were excited to be going on have now become very disappointing. Holidays should be happy things, not a lot of aggravation. 

I can imagine the disappointment.  I have to share that I have held off planning and booking our next SB cruise as all of this plays out.  

• 4 months later...

Reviving this topic with a question, please. If Seabourn cancels a cruise, do they offer any cover for lost prebooked airfares made privately? Where we live, Seabourn does not offer air packages and no insurance we can get will cover cancelling a flight because the cruise is cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ashwood said:

No,  Seabourn do not refund flights that have been made privately. This has happened to us on the last two Seabourn cruises that we have booked and Seabourn have subsequently cancelled. 

Seabourn cancelled two cruises on you? That's a little concerning. We are booked with Seabourn for the first time in October and we have made a ton of other arrangements for the trip. I hope it doesn't get cancelled! Is this a common problem?