Recommend a good tour of manhattan before flying home?

christa

Hi there, our ship arrives in manhattan at 7:15am and our flight from LGA is at 9:15pm. Any recommendations for a good tour of the city, preferably not just riding a bus around all day? We will have our suitcases in tow. :classic_sad:

24 minutes ago, christa said:

Hi there, our ship arrives in manhattan at 7:15am and our flight from LGA is at 9:15pm. Any recommendations for a good tour of the city, preferably not just riding a bus around all day? We will have our suitcases in tow. :classic_sad:

Check your bags at Schwartz Travel on W. 37th St.  That will leave you hands free to do or see whatever you want.

What day of the week is this?  The New Yorkers can give you the best advice about how to get to LGA and what time you have to leave the city.

• Like 1

Agree with above.  If you are toting bags you really can't tour the city, unless you're on a bus.  And buses spend more time stuck in traffic than actually seeing things.  Follow the advice above to check your bags.  Beyond that, you really can't see even all of the highlights in one day so my advice is to not even try.  Decide what is most important to you and focus on 2, maybe 3 key things.  Try to avoid listing things just because they are things you hear about; they might not really be worth visiting or touring. Example:  A few years ago we had a family cruise out of NYC and I recall a family member talking about all she wanted to see in NYC while there.  She was saying things like "well I want to visit Wall Street and Little Italy and blah blah blah."  So I said, for example, "what is it you really plan to see on Wall Street?  Because "seeing Wall Street" amounts to looking at the outside of buildings...is that really what you want to do.  Seeing Little Italy is similar- you're just walking through a neighborhood.  If you want to "see" it, pick a restaurant there for a meal, and don't worry about "touring" the whole neighborhood."   She was literally just naming off all these things she'd heard were in NYC and assumed she had to/wanted to visit.  She had no idea what some of them even consisted of.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 138east said:

Check your bags at Schwartz Travel on W. 37th St.  That will leave you hands free to do or see whatever you want.

What day of the week is this?  The New Yorkers can give you the best advice about how to get to LGA and what time you have to leave the city.

Great advice to check bags.  Then, you should try to focus on a few things, hopefully near each other so you don’t spend time/money getting from place to place.  Depending on season and interests, you might want to focus on outdoor or indoor activities. 

One option would be downtown - Wall Street, Battery Park, World Trade Center;  or China Town and Little Italy;  or midtown - Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick’s, Saks FiFth Avenue;  or uptown - on a rainy day the Metroploitan Museum is good for many hours.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 138east said:

Check your bags at Schwartz Travel on W. 37th St.

You can also check your bags for free at any major hotel if you go in for a quick coffee or breakfast. Instead of paying $2.50 a bag per hour you just have to tip the bellman $5 for the lot of them. 

• Like 1

I've done 4 tours in NYC. 

If you are into a specific NY TV show or movies, some tours focus on these  - we did the Sex and the City Tour. We LOVED it. We saw most NY sights and SATC sights. The same company also does a classic movie sights, Gossip Girl etc. eg. https://onlocationtours.com/new-york-tours/new-york-tv-movie/

We did a Gospel Harlem Walking Tour which was fantastic.

We did the Brooklyn Pizza Tour which takes you around Brooklyn to Saturday Night Fever and Mob movie sights, Coney Island etc.

Also did a great walking pizza tour another trip, I think it was Scott's Pizza Tour - also great. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, shudie said:

If you are into a specific NY TV show or movies, some tours focus on these  - we did the Sex and the City Tour. We LOVED it. We saw most NY sights and SATC sights. The same company also does a classic movie sights, Gossip Girl etc. eg. https://onlocationtours.com/new-york-tours/new-york-tv-movie/

We did the Brooklyn Pizza Tour which takes you around Brooklyn to Saturday Night Fever and Mob movie sights, Coney Island etc.

Also did a great walking pizza tour another trip, I think it was Scott's Pizza Tour - also great. 

I love these tour ideas, thank you! We've been to NYC several times so we are not trying to "see everything." Just wanted to make the most of our day there. We have never been to Coney Island, so I am leaning to the Brooklyn Pizza Tour. It sounds awesome as I loved SNF!

32 minutes ago, christa said:

I love these tour ideas, thank you! We've been to NYC several times so we are not trying to "see everything." Just wanted to make the most of our day there. We have never been to Coney Island, so I am leaning to the Brooklyn Pizza Tour. It sounds awesome as I loved SNF!

It really is a great tour - we recommended it to my mum and her friends and they all loved it too (and they bumped into other friends from Australia on the same tour!) You must try the Spumoni ice cream at the 2nd pizza stop...we are still talking about it 10 years later! 

It’s this one https://www.asliceofbrooklyn.com/

Edited by shudie
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 7:20 AM, shudie said:

If a person is adventurous for $9 they can take a commuter bus from 5th Ave and E.48 St to Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn,A walking bridge to Manhattan Beach .A short walk to the boardwalk which goes to  Coney Island.

• Like 1