Cruising Alone

msstarr22

I can’t wait for the chance to do a solo. When I was younger I did two where I may as well have been solo since they were myself and my then 17/18-year-old son. He ran off to the teen club as soon as we boarded and I didn’t really see him much until we disembarked.

I thoroughly enjoyed those cruises. As others have said keeping to your own schedule is wonderful. It also really gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of great people and have a lot of wonderful conversations.

On my most recent cruise there was a lot of solos on the cruise critic roll call that I would have loved to of been able to meet and get to know, but since I was on a large family trip but I wasn’t able to do that.   I’m hoping to snag a last minute cruise this spring when the low price makes the single supplement palatable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of booking the Allure of the Seas TA in March.  This would be my first solo cruise. I’m in my late 70s and love cruising but none of my friends want todo long cruises or fly so I am pretty limited!  This thread has been very helpful. Think I will just bite the bullet and book it!

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:27 PM, GoVolsTB said:

Thinking of booking the Allure of the Seas TA in March.  This would be my first solo cruise. I’m in my late 70s and love cruising but none of my friends want todo long cruises or fly so I am pretty limited!  This thread has been very helpful. Think I will just bite the bullet and book it!

Hope you have a great time:classic_biggrin:

On 10/24/2019 at 10:58 PM, Lbicklel said:

I can’t wait for the chance to do a solo. When I was younger I did two where I may as well have been solo since they were myself and my then 17/18-year-old son. He ran off to the teen club as soon as we boarded and I didn’t really see him much until we disembarked.

I thoroughly enjoyed those cruises. As others have said keeping to your own schedule is wonderful. It also really gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of great people and have a lot of wonderful conversations.

On my most recent cruise there was a lot of solos on the cruise critic roll call that I would have loved to of been able to meet and get to know, but since I was on a large family trip but I wasn’t able to do that.   I’m hoping to snag a last minute cruise this spring when the low price makes the single supplement palatable.

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement.  Yesterday my DH came to me and asked if it was possible to include him on the cruise!  Oh my I was glad to hear this and was on the phone with CCL and Had him in the cabin before he could change his mind.  We are both going!  I am still considering a solo cruise but now will be watching to see if there is ever ever a discount for solos on CCl in the future. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just booked a cruise on Celebrity in the Caribbean for March 21, 2020, as a single. Yesterday, they dropped the prices even further for that cruise.  I'm still paying double, but it's a good price. FYI, I'm not sure how long this will go or if it will drop further.  The prices decreased after I booked a week ago so, I was able to get the better deal. Final payments are due on Sunday. It's about $2000 for 7 nights including a drink package. 

Sometimes I love traveling alone and sometimes it's not as much fun.  It is all about my state of mind. It's just like if you travel with a partner. Life is unpredictable. Most of my life, I have had more fun traveling the world alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a CC article that may be helpful:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419  - Seven Best Cruise Lines for Solo Travelers.  NCL is number one on the list in terms of cost, a special place on board for solo travelers as well as special activities.  Do your research and try it at least once to see if you want to do it again.  You go girl!!!!  I hope you go and have a wonderful time.  I'm sure it will be hard if you're use to travelling with hubby but not having to share a cabin could be a refreshing change.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am single and have been on 2 cruises so far. No one left in my family to ask and since I was on an Alaskan cruise for my 62 bd and was with someone who wanted to stop in all the jewelry shops and get the trinket of the day, I didn't see much. I did the National Parks tour last May and paid $1010 single supplement, I would like to see Alaska again. Just trying to get as much info as I can about cruising alone.

• Like 1

I have cruised solo six times and nine times with others. I love solo trips because, as others have indicated, you can choose to make your day whatever you want it to be. I choose my own shore excursions and of course I am in a large group to explore a new place. I will be in Iceland again this spring and I plan to walk downtown and check out the little shops and cafes  as I have done the tours there before.  Dinner on my last cruise was lovely and the wait staff were attentive and conversational. I had the same table every night and totally enjoyed it (2 week transatlantic). I was on the new Celebrity Edge. Surprisingly a regular veranda was cheaper for one than the Single veranda rooms (half the size). So if you are travelling solo, make sure to check out all your options. I met other solo travelers through bridge play on board and they were able to join me for dinner and lunch a few days, which was fun. Every cruise is an adventure ...you just have to keep an open mind and an adventurous spirit!! I am 67 this year and plan to do many more solo cruises. I now prefer it.

Edited by Brenda Quaile
  • Like 1

Well Life sure adds twist and turns.  DH has been sick for the last 3 days.  We fly tomorrow and sail Monday.  He has the Flu! Nothing more but I am sorry but men don't do sick!  I  hate leaving him home but it may come to that.  I was willing to cruise solo to begin with and now it may be just that!  😕😢

Edited by msstarr22
change 1 letter

• 3 years later...
On 8/1/2019 at 7:24 AM, mef_57 said:

I think this is very generational.  As is your second post about 'subreddit'.   I have no interest in communal areas beside a possible lounge.  NCL already has solo studios for those who are more gregarious or focused on meeting other solo travelers.  The thought of communal showers boggles my mind.  If they involve communal toilets as well, I doubt this concept is going to fly with the cruisers over a certain age....which the OP and a number of posters are.

You got that right

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 12:57 PM, Underwatr said:

They're just charging the same for the suite ("solo grill room" is slightly oxymoronic) whether it is occupied by one or two people - the same as any hotel I can think of above the level of Hampton Inn.

In Europe, many hotels offer solo occupancy rooms, or solo prices.  Still, not the same because on a cruise you are paying for more than a room.

Moving on:  I always cruise solo, though sometimes I am fortunate enough to have friends also cruising on the same voyage.  I am single, so no spouse or partner, but on my cruises, I quite often meet married solo cruisers.....Some are married to spouses that don't want to cruise, others are married to spouses who can't take long cruise voyages.  Some planned to meet their spouses at the cruise's embarkation port for a vacation, others would be flying home alone after the cruise.  There are some low solo supplements to be had, especially if you look at the premium and luxury lines.  I have cruises booked over the next 18 months with supplements of 35%-50% or so. 

• Like 1