Is cruising even the way to go?

Cherylynn123

Considering a cruise, reading a TON. have a 15 and 17 year old, oldest will be 18 at time of vacation. We are active, and the number one thing holding me back from booking is the big emphasis on "internet/PlayStation" areas for kids. I am NOT paying a ton to have them sit on their phones or glued to a screen, especially in a club where I can't see them. 

And since the oldest will be 18.. while other considerations. I would go anywhere, but I want active family time, exploring and playing. No shopping trips for us! Any suggestions at all? Places/ships to look into? Is cruising even a good choice? Thanks! 

If you’ve done the research and not sure it feels right, then it probably isn’t. Instead of a cruise that makes one stop near a rain forest you sound like you’d rather just spend the whole week at a rustic resort in the middle of one. We like cruising but land vacations are more in depth ways to visit a place. What alternatives are you comparing it to?

• Like 1

One of our daughters and her husband, in their early 40s, are MAJOR outdoors people.  It's their business also.  Their boys are only 3 and 7 but they are outdoors moving all the time.  Rock climbing, skiing, river rafting, camping, you name it.  We walk into their home and it's rare that their tv is on.  A special event.  I think the adults would hate it and the boys might enjoy some pool time but I can see them saying, "But, Mom, what are we going to do now?"  We've done about a half dozen cruises over 20 years and may be returning to it.  So we don't dislike it obviously but see drawbacks.  As there are drawbacks to most any activity.  So that's my input.  And I commend you for asking these really good questions.  Have fun whatever you do.

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic Cherylynn. If they don’t camp out on their phones now they probably won’t on the ship.  Especially if you lock their phones up in your room safe.  Keep reading here are you’ll find all sorts of cruise destinations and activities.  Looking and reading is free so if you don’t find anything you’re not out a penny.  

The trick is to find both a ship and an itinerary that offers the types of things you want. And lock away the phones and perhaps limit their club time. Perhaps the Royal Caribbean  Oasis class ships would have the activities that would attract your teens.  These ships are often accused by some as being floating amusement parks. Then look at itineraries that provide the types of excursions you want. There's a lot more to port visits than shopping or lying on a beach. You can be as active as you want to be.

Don’t over think things, pick a ship like carnival or RC that has many fun activities.  My son has been sailing since he was 8 he is now 25.  He is always on computer or phone at home, but on a cruise he loves exploring a new ship. He lived in the pools and water parks when he was younger and did the teens club on others.  The last trip was on the C. Horizon we all loved that ship, so many things to do.. Just book it, enjoy your time as a family with the kids, go to the MDR at night and enjoy a great meal, then see a show or catch a comedy show.  So much to do, they will be excited and enjoy all the ship has to offer.  We are now on our 14th cruise together now.... there are many great YouTube videos that folks make so you can see what’s offered.  Good opportunity to spend a great time with the kids with everything taken care of for you. 

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

"Sorry, kids - I forgot to pack your phones"

JB :classic_smile:

Ok kids always have their phones, I doubt teens would expect their parents to pack them! That said, no internet packages, no reason for them to look at their phones. We like cruising with our teens/young adults because we enjoy spending time with them, and they enjoy meeting new friends and spending time without us. We started cruising when the youngest were 4, and with 5 kids, it was nice to let everyone do what they wanted. We eat breakfast and dinner together, shows and excursions, and usually split up outside that. All of my kids loved the teen clubs, and the friends they met. My oldest were 19 and 20 on our last cruise, they ended up meeting people, but it was harder.

11 hours ago, Cherylynn123 said:

the big emphasis on "internet/PlayStation" areas for kids

I'm not sure where you are getting your information.  Carnival has PlayStations available in the clubs, but I don't know that they are a "focus."  (Carnival is my only experience, so they are probably available on most lines.)  Most mainline cruise lines have activities like climbing walls, wave riders, high ropes courses, Carnival's newest ship will even have a roller coaster.  

IMO, the destinations are where you are your kids are most likely to enjoy the outdoors and active adventures.  Go cave tubing, zip lining, ATV adventuring, and all kinds of great activities.  You really just need to decide exactly what it is you want from your vacation and find out from people who have been on cruises if they can meet your expectations.

I am considering Atlantis, a Caribbean AI, trip West in US for national parks... I'm open to anything! We like to try anything once, that's why a cruise is being considered, but my number one issue is that darn lure of the gaming rooms! Not a perk in my eyes! 

I am less worried about their phones- yes, I would probably leave them at home then - than I am about them hanging in a club and staring at a gaming console.

Edited by Cherylynn123

6 minutes ago, Cherylynn123 said:

I am considering Atlantis, a Caribbean AI, trip West in US for national parks... I'm open to anything! We like to try anything once, that's why a cruise is being considered, but my number one issue is that darn lure of the gaming rooms! Not a perk in my eyes! 

I am less worried about their phones- yes, I would probably leave them at home then - than I am about them hanging in a club and staring at a gaming console.

1.  At 18, your oldest would be too old for the clubs and would not have access to the gaming consoles. 

2.  Don't want them on their phones or on computers?  Don't pay for internet access.

3.  From what I observed, at that age the clubs are just a place to meet other teens and then they move out and do things throughout the ship.

4.  If you are so worried about screen time, is this an ongoing issue with your kids?  Are they glued to screens at home?  A cruise is a great place to become screen-free.  YOU are responsible for setting the boundaries.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

"Sorry, kids - I forgot to pack your phones"

45 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Or the chargers...EM

Good thinkin' EM, a much less-obvious deception :classic_wink:

No need to wrestle the phones from their grasps, the chargers have disappeared cos I've put them aside ready to pack. 

But still might not work on street-wise kids :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Or the chargers...EM

😄 Until they use their card to buy a USB to Lightning cable from a shop (or borrow one from a new friend on the ship). 

But the points have been covered well here. There seem to be a WIDE range of activities at ports, which allow a "taste test" of the country/city. On the ship, as others have said, there are cruise lines with a ton of activities on board.

Also consider on a 7 day cruise you're usually going to have 2 sea days where you've got to occupy yourself aboard the ship from sunup to sundown. On port days you'll likely be ashore exploring from breakfast until dinner. 

This board has an incredible amount of info. There are forums for each port, with a wealth of info about things to do there. There are reviews of each ship with detailed info about the activities on board, the port options, etc. Then there are people who will answer your questions, like this thread, to fill out any gaps in information you may not be able to locate elsewhere. 

I will say, this is where parenting comes into play.. TELL your kids you don't want them wasting the cruise away on an "idiot box" (what my parents used to call our Nintendo and sega systems). Plan the family activities you'd like to engage in, and make them join you... but also be reasonable about giving them time to explore the ship alone, find friends, etc. 

Well, since the oldest will be 18, you need not worry about the Playstation. He/she won't be permitted in the kids clubs anyways.

It all really depends on what you want to do. I enjoy cruising because I can do what I want, which is usually a ton of nothing. Its only the past couple of cruises I've gotten internet access, mainly so I have a reliable way to talk to the wife when we aren't together. Though its also nice to stream music (which was permitted on the plans I bought). 

Also, each line is different. Some have more active activities than others. When in port, you don't need to go shopping, there are other things. Most ports offer ziplining. Just about every port has a beach. If you really want adventure, go to Alaska.

However, I agree you are taking the proper first step. Researching.

6 hours ago, jjaazzy said:

Don’t over think things, pick a ship like carnival or RC that has many fun activities.

Or pick a non-cruise and don't overthink it 🙂  Mom clearly knows her kids better than we.  As I mentioned above I've no doubt our adult kids, now in their early 40s, wouldn't like it and probably not their kids either.

19 hours ago, Cherylynn123 said:

Considering a cruise, reading a TON. have a 15 and 17 year old, oldest will be 18 at time of vacation. We are active, and the number one thing holding me back from booking is the big emphasis on "internet/PlayStation" areas for kids. I am NOT paying a ton to have them sit on their phones or glued to a screen, especially in a club where I can't see them. 

And since the oldest will be 18.. while other considerations. I would go anywhere, but I want active family time, exploring and playing. No shopping trips for us! Any suggestions at all? Places/ships to look into? Is cruising even a good choice? Thanks! 

Last few years of HS are always a challenge for family vacations, LOL.

For us cruising is in the mix for some of it's unique attributes, many here make it their main leisure vacation. 

We've always done a lot of different vacations; beach, mountain / ski, cruise, classical European/Asia multiple city tours for summer, winter, spring breaks.   

Why cruising, one the ports, we get multiple different ports ( sometimes we want tropical, and the sometimes European touring ).  With it you get a day a port/place, in port adventure/sightseening, on ship set family sit down breakfast/dinner, nigh entertainment, the kids and parents get their quality time together and their own time.   At the teen the club experience so depends on your kids social situation and what the club mix of crowd is.   I have never planned or expected the cruise club experience to factor in, though we've done so many and had enough good experience to say it is a positive reason for at least one of our three.     For some the ship is the desitnation; ice skating, bowling, waterslides, etc. etc.  I have never chosen cruising for the ship being the destination, I fully enjoy the amenities, the more the better, but if I want an out of world experience for those things on the ship, I go to las vegas for far cheaper, LOL.

We ( including the kids ) enjoy cruising, not exclusively, but love our cruises, it ain't for everyone, our excitment didn't rub over on some good family friends that we did many a ski or summer beach vacation with, they and their kids hated it and only did it once.   You should do it at least once, pick RCL their big ship ( you'll either love it, or never do it again! ) 

As to hooked on their phone, don't worry when at sea or foreign port just charge them for the time on the phone, that'll curb their phone habit really quick.  one of the reasons we love cruising, our 2 hour dinners and 1 hour breakfast and time in the lounge are ALL internet clean, they go cold turkey onboard!

7 hours ago, Cherylynn123 said:

Hmm, I think you need to look a bit in the mirror, all kids have an addiction to their phones telling them to leave at home is very extreme ( suggest a deeper problem to even say that IMHO ) and many to their game console, many given a choice that is their first choice, but that in itself isn't bad, if it is at the exclusion of other things then something not unusually in this day an age something if you wanted to avoid you needed to address a few years ago, like 10 years ago, good luck

Edited by chipmaster

Norwegian's kids club rarely uses the Wii thing, and often it is a FAMILY activity played in the main part of the ship.  As to the arcade.... the games can range from a dollar to several for one play.  If they don't have charging privileges on their key cards they can't use the arcade.  Its very easy to limit their "electronic" time.  If you look at the newer larger ships of Norwegian you'll see rock climbing, go karts, lazer tag and water slides; things that might keep your crew engaged. 

5 hours ago, clo said:

Or pick a non-cruise and don't overthink it 🙂  Mom clearly knows her kids better than we.  As I mentioned above I've no doubt our adult kids, now in their early 40s, wouldn't like it and probably not their kids either.

Why are you responding to responses?  Why is this important to you? Clearly she’s on a cruise board. So your crowd doesn’t like it anymore, why are you on a cruise board?    She can make up her own mind.  99.9% of the folks on this site are crazy for cruises, but you and your crowd aren’t.   Maybe there is more to that story?  We are here to shed light, help folks, make things easier, clearer, ultimately help make their cruise the absolute best.  Not that -

that task is that hard.  No need to reply, maybe find a land tourist board where you can help folks with land finds.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jjaazzy said:

but you and your crowd aren’t.

I have no idea who my "crowd" might be.  Although I do see others here who do all manner of travel and cruising is just one.  She was being advised to pick a cruise and don't "over think" it.  We've done two cruises in the last year plus and have one planned for the end of the year.  Prior to that we did maybe four in the last 20 years.  We're being very selective about the cruise line and the itinerary.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:51 AM, Cherylynn123 said:

I am considering Atlantis, a Caribbean AI, trip West in US for national parks... I'm open to anything!

My family did a 10-wk camping trip to the western Nat'l parks (as far west as Zion NP in Utah) when I was 15 (sis was 14 and bro 13 and dad taught high school). We all LOVED it!

Growing up in the Adirondacks of upstate NYS, we were used to being outdoors, but what the trip brought alive was how DIFFERENT areas of our own country are. TV and books just hadn't done that -- somehow in my adolescent mind, it was like "things are like home (or maybe like the farmland on the way to gramma's), and then there's the Grand Canyon, then back like home, and then Yellowstone". A trip west in US will IMPRESS with the vastness and variety of their country. 

For our kids, we like the balance of family time and what we call 'introverting' time when we're on vacation. We're almost always doing activities all day and cruising (with the exception of sea days) is no exception -- so our kids will be with us all day doing tours and exploring ruins or whatever we're doing. When we get back, we find that everyone really needs some down time to relax and do their own thing. That's when the electronics come out, or our more sociable kids will go up to the kids club for some time without their parents. Then we can do a family dinner, maybe a boardgame or a show, and an early bed-time. 

So, keep 'em busy, find things to do that everyone will enjoy, but don't overthink it. A couple of hours of playstation with a new friend in the kids-club sounds like a totally reasonable break to me.

• Like 1

I lock my phone in the safe and don't take it out until the last night to charge.  First of all, there's the risk of insane international roaming charges if you leave it on.  Actually, thinking about it, I see very few phones onboard at all.  And, as for the internet/gaming areas, many come with an extra charge.  I'm cheap, so I avoid those like crazy.  There is PLENTY to do onboard a cruise ship that doesn't involve sitting around.  There are also things that do involve sitting around, since the ship is trying to cater to all sorts of tastes.  Many ships have rock climbing walls, zip lines, mini-golf courses, etc.