2 night stay in LONDON before CRUISE?

19 hours ago, AdventureTwins said:

Having the names of the hotels is PERFECT!  Thank you so much! I love having options.  

We are 1st time to UK and really do want to see as much as our feet can handle.  We won't mind being exhausted by the time our cruise starts, but it's been a long time since anyone in our family has been to Europe {besides Military} and we just want to see EVERYTHING! haha! 

Seems the hotels book quickly so I'm trying to secure that first. I thought staying in London would be great but not knowing the distance to several places makes a huge difference.  You all are absolutely fabulous with the help and direction.  I assume some of you live in London?  How lovely! I'm a native NYer and now reside in rural Colorado so I don't think the tube is going to sway me either way! Sounds exciting - I've been told to watch out for pic pocketers though!! 

Just a few last questions: 

1. Can I get the "Oyster Card" in the airport or do I wait till I get to the Tube station? 

2. What hotel do you recommend by Southampton Pier?

3. Are the souvenirs at the airport worth it? Or wait til we get to London?

4. Money:  the best way to handle cash/cards exchange in UK.  On another thread someone said that we will need cash once we leave the plane?

5. Hop On, Hop Off: Can I reserve this now or wait til we get there. Is there a link to the stops it makes? 

Thanks again everyone for being so helpful!

AdventureTwins

Those hotels would be the equivalent to an older Comfort Inn in the US.  Quite basic and expect a very small room (150 s/f or so) with a double bed--not a queen if bed size is important to you.  

Advise you pre-order the Oyster Card in advance and have it delivered to your US address.  Any extra funds can be "cashed in" before you leave, but you should be able to get a decent idea of how much you think you'd need on it.

Best place to buy cheap souvenirs any day of the week is around Trafalgar Square--which is an area you need to mind your bags and pockets from pick pockets.  Pay no attention to the touts, either.  You could also look at Covent Garden and the Camden Market but you'll actually have more to choose from in the Trafalgar area if you are just looking for a bunch of inexpensive small gifts.  (For example, I readily found a huge variety of inexpensive Union Jack/Double Decker Bus/Red Phone Booth/Palace Guard/etc. socks, pencils, journal, pens, hair clips, coffee mugs, throw pillows, magnets, coin purses, and on and on for my London obsessed nieces in the shops there.) Things are far more expensive at the airport.

The pound is very low right now, I"m getting ready to buy $1000 in Sterling for a trip next year.  That's me.  You could always use an ATM at LHR.  You will be able to pay with a MC/Visa almost everywhere.  I prefer to use a card only for larger purchases and just pay with cash for smaller purchases.  

Personally I think HoHo's are not a good idea in London.  They move slower than you can walk due to the traffic.  

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

This.  As well as cheats. I had one try to double charge me thinking I would just readily hand over the extra pounds because he showed up an hour early and I wasn't ready yet.  I had written confirmation of the pick up time, and his lack of time management or ability to read a clock was not my problem.  Had another who took me a long way round so he could stop someplace and pick up something he had left someplace--and wanted me to pay the full meter fare.  Nope

I've just never had this sort of experience and I travel from the States to London for business about once a month. I tend to use Uber from the airport as its much cheaper than a Black Cab but when I'm in town I will frequently use Black Cabs as they are much more comfortable than the Toyota Prius' you usually get with Uber. Drivers have always been very professional and no issue using the credit card machine.  

A little trick with Black Cabs when you need to use them for longer distances-- you can hail them using the MyTaxi app which is now called "Free Now". It will give you a flat rate estimate to the airport either in a Black Cab or the Mercedes van equivalent and you are billed your credit card in the app. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can buy the Oyster card at the airport, especially if you'll be taking the Tube to your hotel. Last year, we stayed in Waterloo at the H10 Hotel, which is walking distance to the London Eye, Shakespeare' Globe, and Tate Modern. The year before, we stayed at the Hilton Olympia in Kensington. The H10 was nicer. We took the Tube last year for most of our trips. We took double-decker buses the year before because they were so convenient. We're staying at the Strand Palace this year because we wanted to be closer to shows. We're just there for two nights. 

We took the train from Paddington to Southampton in 2017 and the National Express Coach last year. It was less expensive and comfortable. We're taking it again this year.

Last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Southampton. We're taking the coach the morning of our cruise this year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ducklite said:

Those hotels would be the equivalent to an older Comfort Inn in the US.  Quite basic and expect a very small room (150 s/f or so) with a double bed--not a queen if bed size is important to you.  

The hotel mentioned is a brand new hotel with a double rooms having a king size bed (and could be booked to stay tonight for $125).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, picsa said:

The hotel mentioned is a brand new hotel with a double rooms having a king size bed (and could be booked to stay tonight for $125).

UK King, which is very different than US King.  And the purple is vertigo inducing.  It is not a hotel I'd care to stay in.  I also think the location leaves much to be desired being on the south bank of the Thames.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

UK King, which is very different than US King.  And the purple is vertigo inducing.  It is not a hotel I'd care to stay in.  I also think the location leaves much to be desired being on the south bank of the Thames.

Being on the south bank of the Thames isn't bad. The OP mentioned wanting to do the London Eye, and that's just a couple of blocks away. The hotel is less than a mile to the Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Churchill War Rooms, and Westminster Abbey.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ducklite said:

UK King, which is very different than US King. 

You said the bed wouldn't be a (US) queen size (which is 60" x 80") but you were wrong as that is exactly the same size as the bed in this room.

And as for location! 10 minutes walk from Big Ben, on the junction of four separate tube lines, and next to the station the OP needs to get to Southampton. Really?

So your real criticism is you don't like the hotel's paint - wow. Best you stick to the $500 a night hotels then.

9 minutes ago, picsa said:

You said the bed wouldn't be a (US) queen size (which is 60" x 80") but you were wrong as that is exactly the same size as the bed in this room.

And as for location! 10 minutes walk from Big Ben, on the junction of four separate tube lines, and next to the station the OP needs to get to Southampton. Really?

So your real criticism is you don't like the hotel's paint - wow. Best you stick to the $500 a night hotels then.

I don't spend $500 a night on hotels in general.  In London I'm typically there for at least three nights, and I rent a flat in the $300 range.  For my money I get a lovely place with a fully fitted kitchen, washer/dryer, and plenty of space to move around in a premium area.  The place I have booked for next year also offers a free mobile to use while I'm there, left luggage before check in and after check out, all soft cleaning supplies, and a welcome basket with bread, jam, eggs, milk, tea, coffee, crisps, biscuits, chocolates, a bottle of wine, and fresh fruit.

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

I don't spend $500 a night on hotels in general.  In London I'm typically there for at least three nights, and I rent a flat in the $300 range.  For my money I get a lovely place with a fully fitted kitchen, washer/dryer, and plenty of space to move around in a premium area.  The place I have booked for next year also offers a free mobile to use while I'm there, left luggage before check in and after check out, all soft cleaning supplies, and a welcome basket with bread, jam, eggs, milk, tea, coffee, crisps, biscuits, chocolates, a bottle of wine, and fresh fruit.

Hope you have checked that the owner is legally allowed to let the flat; most are not, so comparing a legal hotel with an illegal flat let...

22 minutes ago, picsa said:

Hope you have checked that the owner is legally allowed to let the flat; most are not, so comparing a legal hotel with an illegal flat let...

I absolutely do--they have a license and collect the VAT.  The ones that are tatty and cheap are typically the illegal lets.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 5:15 AM, princeton123211 said:

I wouldn't recommend spending the night in Southampton at all unless you want to specifically see Southampton. You can easily get from London to the pier in the same day for departure and this gives you much more time to see London. 

Exactly what we want to do! Thank you! 

6 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by that-- exactly what we want to do as in stay a night in Southampton, or exactly what we want to do as in stay the extra night in London. 

We want to stay in London a nite before and then go straight to Southampton.  Sorry that was confusing! :O)

I was checking out flights and doesn't look like we won't be able to book anything until September or early October. {Sad Face!}  They have started with July flights on Expedia.com, is there a better place to book flights? Maybe go straight to the airline? I have no idea who only flies to London! Geeze, I feel like such a new kid on the block! When we sail the Caribbean I'm so much more on top of what I'm doing! 

Who are cruising with?

All the cruise lines offer air.  They each call it different.

Princess - EzAir

Royal Caribbean - Air2Sea

You or your agent can make air travel arrangement.

Princess - on your Personalizer, under your cruise, at the top - Travel Arrangement.  Once air is released, you can book.  

You choose - class, ARRIVE on (NOT the date you leave), leave on, stops.  

Choose - flexible - no payment until final payment

- no penalty to change/cancel

- can Modify/cancel up to 45 days before cruise

- restricted - pay at time of booking

- cost to modify/cancel

You will get a Princess Air Booking # and Airline Booking #.

Once booked, check daily or often your Travel Arrangement (flight), encase the price goes down

- Click Travel Arrangement 

- Your booking will show

- at the bottom of that page, GREEN section - Modify 

- add - class, Arrive on, Leave on, Information like before

- new price will show

- if the same price as what you have, exit the page

- if cheaper - continue 

- it will show old price and new price

- continue - accept

- you will receive a NEW Princess and Airline booking numbers  each time you Modify your booking

- with each change you need to re add airline member number, seats

I book Princess flexible and check direct with the airline and at final payment I choose the cheapest price.

For my Athens-Rome Cruise, my Flexible Air started at $2,340/pp Premium Economy with watching the price the air at final payment is $1,745/pp.

If you purchase air direct, you are locked into the price, with Princess flexible you can watch for sale/price reduction and not pay until final payment.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 12:08 PM, princeton123211 said:

Extremely easy-- you can take the Heathrow Express train right into town from your terminal or you can hire an Uber or cab to take you directly to your hotel for more. 

This one is a bit subjective because there are thousands of hotels at all price points. My personal favorite is The Savoy, both for location and quality, but it admittedly is one of the priciest hotels in town. There are all sorts ranging from budget to luxury-- its going to depend on how much you want to spend. 

It's not that bad-- Southampton was essentially Heathrow for ocean liners before the age of the airliner. There are plenty of car services, cruise ship arranged busses, and trains that go there. It takes a little over 2 hours to drive-- trains direct from Waterloo take about 1 hour 15min. 

The last time I stayed in London was in October of '14, and I stayed at a RCI-based hotel: Double Tree by Hilton-Westminster. The Pimlico Tube station was several blocks away, and the hotel room was very nice because it had an iMac for surfing and emailing. On the last day of my stay, I took an RCCL coach to Southampton for embarking on my ship, Indy of the Seas for a cruise to Spain and the Canary Islands. I transported to London using a Viator private vehicle. Seriously, would you want to take a train or bus with all that luggage? If not, then use alternate means of transportation such as the previously mentioned Viator vehicle, Uber or taxi.

Shep W. 

Flights usually become available 330 days out from the travel date, but remember that you need to count that from the date you're returning - earlier this week when I was looking at our 2020 travel dates, some airlines had the flights there already, but we couldn't get back!

When we went to London last year, we ordered the visitor Oyster cards in advance, as has been mentioned. It was easy and then we did not have to deal with it when we go there. We did have to top them off several times.

We got pounds in advance through our AAA office so we would not have to deal with an ATM immediately upon arrival either. I am just more comfortable having a bit of cash on hand when traveling (although at home I rarely carry it and currently have $1 in my wallet!). 

Some, or maybe most, post offices in London also have souvenirs - it's not what you'd expect coming from the states, but my husband got a great sweatshirt at one and we picked up some other small things as well. I didn't really shop at the airport, except to get Cadbury and Pimms from the duty free, so I did not compare prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

The last time I stayed in London was in October of '14, and I stayed at a RCI-based hotel: Double Tree by Hilton-Westminster. The Pimlico Tube station was several blocks away, and the hotel room was very nice because it had an iMac for surfing and emailing. On the last day of my stay, I took an RCCL coach to Southampton for embarking on my ship, Indy of the Seas for a cruise to Spain and the Canary Islands. I transported to London using a Viator private vehicle. Seriously, would you want to take a train or bus with all that luggage? If not, then use alternate means of transportation such as the previously mentioned Viator vehicle, Uber or taxi.

Shep W. 

Why would you want to take all that luggage to begin with?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Why would you want to take all that luggage to begin with?

Because I don't pack light: I have a big green piece filled w/clothing, a smaller carryon, a walker, and my backpack. You can imagine what a chore I've got going, especially when I use a walker to help me walk after back surgery this past June. I'm under doctor's orders not to lift any object that weighs more than 10 lbs., so you can imagine how much my green suitcase weighs when it's filled: a lot more than 10 lbs! Now try to imagine my tugging that suitcase--which has wheels--along w/my walker, my carryon on the walker's seat, and the backpack. Very awkward. I can imagine you now asking, "Don't I have a travel companion to help me"? No, I don't have a travel companion. They're only good if I was wheelchair-bound or if I'm blind, neither of which is my situation.  

Shep W.

Edited by ShmuelCharlie
Don't need an extra "which" in the last sentence.

35 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Because I don't pack light: I have a big green piece filled w/clothing, a smaller carryon, a walker, and my backpack. You can imagine what a chore I've got going, especially when I use a walker to help me walk after back surgery this past June. I'm under doctor's orders not to lift any object that weighs more than 10 lbs., so you can imagine how much my green suitcase weighs when it's filled: a lot more than 10 lbs! Now try to imagine my tugging that suitcase--which has wheels--along w/my walker, my carryon on the walker's seat, and the backpack. Very awkward. I can imagine you now asking, "Don't I have a travel companion to help me"? No, I don't have a travel companion. They're only good if I was wheelchair-bound or if I'm blind, neither of which is my situation. 

And your situation might be different because of that, but those of us who frequently travel to London use the Heathrow Express because you can zip right around all that morning traffic that you can sit in for HOURS at the wrong time of day. It goes from your arrival terminal to Paddington Station in literally 15 minutes. 

Granted, I usually use a car service other times, but if I'm landing in the morning during the rush the Heathrow Express train is a killer option to save a ton of time and money. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

And your situation might be different because of that, but those of us who frequently travel to London use the Heathrow Express because you can zip right around all that morning traffic that you can sit in for HOURS at the wrong time of day. It goes from your arrival terminal to Paddington Station in literally 15 minutes. 

Granted, I usually use a car service other times, but if I'm landing in the morning during the rush the Heathrow Express train is a killer option to save a ton of time and money. 

I don't travel to London unless I have a cruise departing from Southampton. I'm also not that much in a hurry to get to London, so I'll have booked a transfer w/Viator. The last time I was in London was in October '14 for a cruise to Spain and the Canary Islands. At that time, I didn't have a walker nor was I recovering from back surgery. Also, the last time I visited LHR was in the fall of '17 to change planes arriving from a cruise that debarked in Rome and I had a post-cruise hotel package. I also did not have a walker at that time but used a Nordic walking pole to help me walk w/o falling down. I didn't buy a really good walker until January '18. 

Shep W.

I have been to London 5x staying either pre and post cruise.  I have always used www.justairports.com (car service) from LHR to my London hotel or hotel to LHR.  I use the car service for the convenience, someone to meet me after a long flight, take my luggage, drive me directly to my hotel.  Well worth the money to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nonna5 said:

Does anyone have any comments on the Thistle Piccadilly Hotel?  I am looking at it for two nights post cruise.  Thank you.

It's a great location. I haven't stayed there. Most of the reviews are positive.