Is formal wear required for evenings

Short and sweet No. 

On the night if your sea day they do Dress to Impress which is when the majority of passengers make the effort to extra smarten up. You can wear a long dress and your husband a tux or suit if he wishes. I wore a long dress and my DH a nice shirt and black Jean's. 

The other nights are casual but no beachwear etc in MDR. Smart shorts are allowed for men but no sandals or flip flops. Ladies what you might wear to go out for a meal at home. 

It's really up to you what you make of your holiday. We like to smarten up every evening to go to dinner and then see a show others dont and will show up to the buffet and pub in their very casualwear. Your choice. 

Hth 

Ps if you go to the cruise fashions board I did a review of what I wore on Ex2 in Mays trip to the med. 👍

Marella - Smart casual for men is just fine.  I was disappointed this year at the relaxed dress code.  People with not so smart shorts and footwear allowed in the MDR.

We do like to wear tux and my wife evening dress on the Dress to Impress night - not a lot to ask for one night each week, and if you do not want to go to the trouble there is always other options for dinner.

• Like 1

We are going on Discovery 2 at the end of August. Have always taken my Tux on previous Thomson/Marella cruises but for the first time I felt out of place on the Celebration last year as I estimated that less than 25% of men were wearing them. So this year I am just going to wear trousers with a smart long sleeved shirt and tie. Will save some weight in the cases.

Suppose we could sell our tux on eBay - joking. Will probably give it another go. I note you are from Scotland - Broughton, on our last cruise in June a man wore full Scottish Dress on the Dress to Impress night, now that would add a bit of weight in the case.

1 hour ago, SAVVO said:

Are there any nights when its good to have particular clothes? I'm thinking of a beach party/white party/black party etc?

On Ex2 they did alternate weeks white night or bright night but neither were well attended. 

Just to add to this, just been online to pay a couple bills and www.clearance365.co.uk has a massive dress sale on. Part of Grattan/Freeman group. ((Im not on their payroll just like their stuff)

I purchased 2 for my upcoming D2 adventure in Sept. Arranged for them to come on day DH is away so can sneak them in and say i had 'em for ages 😉

Edited by 2BACRUISER

Love to see everyone dressed up especially those in kilts Envious of those slim women in dresses I would love to wear but pleased for them not jealous. Having done many cruises we stopped attending the 'Captains Night' as there was so much waiting about but love 'Dress to Impress' and have always enjoyed trying to spot the excited people who've never cruised before having a great night

Just packing and I'm taking my Royal Navy Blazer with Badges for dress to impress.

I have a lovely tux, made to measure from Moss Bros, not bad prices and fits like a glove, but due to flying I am restricted by weight allowance. I will be taking the tux for my Celebrity and P&O cruises next year as sailing from Southampton. 

We enjoy dressing up and taking part. It's half the fun of cruising. 

Didnt bring my tux last time (our first cruise) but will be doing so this time in September (and another 2 booked after that!)

We upped our luggage weight allowance so we can bring a separate travel suit carrier which will hold my tux and my wifes dress.  

Thats the current plan anyway.  

• Like 1

Just now, pgilc1 said:

Didnt bring my tux last time (our first cruise) but will be doing so this time in September (and another 2 booked after that!)

We upped our luggage weight allowance so we can bring a separate travel suit carrier which will hold my tux and my wifes dress.  

Thats the current plan anyway.  

Nice plan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ormy said:

Suppose we could sell our tux on eBay - joking. Will probably give it another go. I note you are from Scotland - Broughton, on our last cruise in June a man wore full Scottish Dress on the Dress to Impress night, now that would add a bit of weight in the case.

The kilt would be the heaviest but you get lightweight kilts 

Many thanks everyone for your advice. Will stick with Tux and “posh frock” for dress to impress evening, we like to dress up occasionally. In the past have seen several kilts on display, and also a few Military Dress uniforms which look fabulous (especially on Princess who give generous discounts to serving Military)

• Like 1

Men always look so smart in either kilt or tux. Ladies in lovely long dresses or cocktail dresses. We have always dressed up on formal night.  Such a shame now to see some people not making any effort.  Have even seen a few people wandering around the atrium on Dress to Impress evening in casual shorts and vest tops. They seem to have a bit of an attitude problem.  "  I'll wear what I like etc. "  When in actual fact some of them have an inferiority complex.  Sorry but it has to be said. 

Worst thing I saw was a woman who had her kids in Celtic football tops for most of the week. Not that I know anything about football, no interest whatsoever,  but I heard a few people talking about it. Football tops should be kept for football matches.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Men always look so smart in either kilt or tux. Ladies in lovely long dresses or cocktail dresses. We have always dressed up on formal night.  Such a shame now to see some people not making any effort.  Have even seen a few people wandering around the atrium on Dress to Impress evening in casual shorts and vest tops. They seem to have a bit of an attitude problem.  "  I'll wear what I like etc. "  When in actual fact some of them have an inferiority complex.  Sorry but it has to be said. 

Worst thing I saw was a woman who had her kids in Celtic football tops for most of the week. Not that I know anything about football, no interest whatsoever,  but I heard a few people talking about it. Football tops should be kept for football matches.

If someone doesnt want to partake in the dress to impress function that should be considered fine.  I wouldnt expect them to be in the formal dining room area on the night, but likewise i wouldnt expect them to stay locked in their rooms.  No one should be forced to partake in something they dont want to.  Its not everyones cup of tea i guess and its optional not mandatory.

I dont believe football tops should be allowed on adults or kids on cruises.  Its unnecessary and sets a poor tone.  

I think its one of the downsides of the increase in popularity of cruising and the affordability of all inclusive type cruises - it starts to attract the wrong groups of people.  These people usually are the ones shouting at crew members, etc, because they arent getting the level of service they believe "they deserve" by being on a cruise ship.

All in my humble opinion of course.

Edited by pgilc1
  • Like 2

Just had "formal" night.

5% in Tux, gala dresses

10% in blazers, prom dresses

15% in suits, formal dresses

40% in shirts, party dresses

And

30% in normal everyday wear. 

So some making every effort. Most doing what's comfortable in the heat and following the rules and some that don't want to take part.

Each to their own.

• Like 1

One of the things that attracted me to cruising was the fact that people made an effort to dress up to go to dinner and the shows. I had gotten sick of resort hotels full of silly women in miniscule outfits displaying all their wares in hotel restaurants and bars or slobs schleping round in half mast shorts and hairy armpit showing vests, and I'm talking some 4 & 5* places and then all constantly on their phones. One couple barely spoke all night so busy on them. At least on a cruise u cant be on your phone all the time when at sea and there is still an element of elegance present.