Is formal wear required for evenings

1 minute ago, 2BACRUISER said:

At least on a cruise u cant be on your phone all the time when at sea and there is still an element of elegance present. 

You can now with ships wifi, so there are some people still glued to the web. Sad but true.

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

One of the things that attracted me to cruising was the fact that people made an effort to dress up to go to dinner and the shows. I had gotten sick of resort hotels full of silly women in miniscule outfits displaying all their wares in hotel restaurants and bars or slobs schleping round in half mast shorts and hairy armpit showing vests, and I'm talking some 4 & 5* places and then all constantly on their phones. One couple barely spoke all night so busy on them. At least on a cruise u cant be on your phone all the time when at sea and there is still an element of elegance present. 

Totally agree! We like to completely switch off while on holiday, apart from a couple of phone calls to check on the family we don't use the phone or social media. Really enjoy engaging with other people.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:53 PM, Jim The Scot said:

The kilt would be the heaviest but you get lightweight kilts 

I've seen men wear their kilt on the transatlantic flights to and from the Caribbean to save the luggage weight in their cases. Never tried it myself having always managed to fit full kilt outfit into cases but it reverses the supposed norm where a woman's luggage is normally more than the mans'. Plenty of moans from my wife about how much space the full kilt outfit, shoes, sporran etc etc takes up. I now compromise and take kilt jacket an tartan trews to keep the peace!!

15 minutes ago, Tayscot said:

I've seen men wear their kilt on the transatlantic flights to and from the Caribbean to save the luggage weight in their cases. Never tried it myself having always managed to fit full kilt outfit into cases but it reverses the supposed norm where a woman's luggage is normally more than the mans'. Plenty of moans from my wife about how much space the full kilt outfit, shoes, sporran etc etc takes up. I now compromise and take kilt jacket an tartan trews to keep the peace!!

Don't you save loads of weight not packing pants,lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GOQ said:

My luggage is usually packed full of pants just in case I should get "The dreaded Lurgy".

😕

Like Spike Milligan when he had dysentry.He had an "accident" on a train in India.He thought no worries,I've got another pair of trousers in my suitcase,so he threw the others out of the window.He opened his suitcase and found just a cardigan.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:02 PM, nancyneptune said:

Worst thing I saw was a woman who had her kids in Celtic football tops for most of the week. Not that I know anything about football, no interest whatsoever,  but I heard a few people talking about it. Football tops should be kept for football matches.

Neds!!

10 hours ago, Blondie008 said:

Neds!!

Had to look that term up but yes, that sadly describes many teens these days 🤔

I definitely think football tops should be banned on cruises, on children and adults.

• 3 weeks later...

football shirts aside  (and I know that most people kitted out like their team must have m ore money than me to spend on clothes). I think that the main reason that fewer dinner jackets/sequins  are seen on cruises are the stringent weight allowances.  I remember on my first cruise with 24 kilos I could take shoes and bags for each outfit - and I had two formal night outfits for the two posh nights (in just a week).  Now we try to get everything into 10 kilo cases and that means that the fashion show is over.  

I still wear a dazzling smile with whatever I have squeezed in my suitcase.  That always impresses.  

Go with whatever you are comfortable with for us our hand luggage which is 10kg now, just covers our change of clothes after the flight, must admit it would be nice not to have to collect and drag suitcases but everyone is different and a big part of our cruise is feeling good in what we are wearing for the evening and that requires that we pack a change of clothes for each night. Good thing about Marella is that all passengers, whatever they want, are catered for. Yes we do take the full tux and evening dress and it all fits within the weight limit. 

26 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

football shirts aside  (and I know that most people kitted out like their team must have m ore money than me to spend on clothes). I think that the main reason that fewer dinner jackets/sequins  are seen on cruises are the stringent weight allowances.  I remember on my first cruise with 24 kilos I could take shoes and bags for each outfit - and I had two formal night outfits for the two posh nights (in just a week).  Now we try to get everything into 10 kilo cases and that means that the fashion show is over.  

I still wear a dazzling smile with whatever I have squeezed in my suitcase.  That always impresses.  

Eh?  10KG?

Weight allowance is 30KG including 10KG hand luggage, which allows you 20KG of hold luggage.

Pensioncruiser is right on TUI package holiday cruises you get 20kg hold luggage and 10kg hand luggage inclusive in the cost please don't confuse new cruisers If you do cruise only (can't think why unless you live near the departure port) you can have as much luggage as you want as long you aren't flying with another airline and again why would you do that? If the TUI flight is late the ship will wait for you but not for another airlines late arrival.

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Learning to avoid baggage charges by using carry-on only  😊.  It is possible, but you do need to do things like wearing your kilt.  I have been well taught by my daughter who has taken multiple flights to and from University and beyond.  

Who are you flying with?

On 9/1/2019 at 4:58 PM, pgilc1 said:

Eh?  10KG?

Weight allowance is 30KG including 10KG hand luggage, which allows you 20KG of hold luggage.

The lady is travelling with hand luggage only, it suits some people especially if they are cruise only and have booked their own flights. 

If Tui are giving me 20kg hold and 10kg hand i'm gonna use it😃 that extra sparkly top , a sneaky pack of jaffa cakes and a couple of good bodice ripper books and i'm good to go. 😃

• Like 1

I worked with a bloke who used to be an army pe instructor.He got married in a kilt and in the evening attempted a back flip,normally successful,but after numerous scotches,he ended up upside down in a crumpled heap with all his wedding tackle on show.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

The lady is travelling with hand luggage only, it suits some people especially if they are cruise only and have booked their own flights. 

If Tui are giving me 20kg hold and 10kg hand i'm gonna use it😃 that extra sparkly top , a sneaky pack of jaffa cakes and a couple of good bodice ripper books and i'm good to go. 😃

That is correct, not everybody on Marella cruises lives in UK so we have to book the cruise, then our own flight.  I always fly to my cruise at least a day early.  

• Like 1

Thank God kilt days are over - My husband owns full regalia, family tartan kilts/trews/plaid etc - all hand made (by my ex sister in law) - and sure, he has the legs and wears it well... 

I have matching accesories - plaid also, bag/purse and even shoes... 

Beautiful - yes.. but...

I was seriously going to rent him out to the photographers - great prop - If I had a £1 for everytime he was asked for a photoshoot by European/American women I'd be awealthy wummin! Jeez - I would have been as well wearing a bin liner..Waste of time me getting dolled up 😆

I've decided the full on formals are being left at home - 😜

And thankfully - I no longer have to worry about the "what's up yer kilt" cartwheels in the nightclub in the wee sma' hours... 

I can relax now and enjoy "dress to impress" night - in smart clothing - sans le kilt! 

Will save it for weddings and Hogmanay! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

That is correct, not everybody on Marella cruises lives in UK so we have to book the cruise, then our own flight.  I always fly to my cruise at least a day early.  

As do we.  Of the two cruises we have this year and the two next year with Marella, only one of them has been fly cruise.  The other three have been cruise only and we arrive a day or two before and stay a day or two after.

I assume wherever you're flying from is charging you a lot more for luggage than we are seeing here in the UK?

Easyjet charge £25 per case (up to 23KG) per flight and Ryanair (the other one we use) approx £20 per case per flight (up to 20KG) which isnt a big hill of beans, given the overall cost of a cruise.

So an extra £50 each gives us 30KG each instead of 10.  

Edited by pgilc1
  • Like 1