Major Changes Coming To Carnival’s Half Moon Cay

DFWGUYZ

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Here's another island looking at a dedicated cruise terminal as opposed to tendering; George Town, Grand Cayman. The artist has placed Carnival's future Mardi Gras in there :classic_cool: 

Proposed Cayman Port

T think them  building   big  docks     is great.  dh and I disliked tendering in Grand Cayma so much we stopped getting off  the ship when there..  There was little there that  interested us   enough to bother with the tender routine.  We always made it a peaceful day at the pool with the few who also  did not go ashore.

I remember when we had to tende in Cozumel.   IMO, it is so much more fun in oz since they built those docks and  terminals.  There were times  that    tender ride was rough and choppy

Is Bar Harbor next for large dock? 

On 8/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Here's another island looking at a dedicated cruise terminal as opposed to tendering; George Town, Grand Cayman. The artist has placed Carnival's future Mardi Gras in there :classic_cool: 

Proposed Cayman Port

I believe reefs are an issue at GC, no? Of course being GC they might just drill pillars through the reef ....

4 minutes ago, sppunk said:

I believe reefs are an issue at GC, no? Of course being GC they might just drill pillars through the reef ....

Evenin' Spunk; I have a feeling whoever is going to damage the reef off-shore of George Town, GC is going to have to pay the piper. Speculation on my part, but I would think that these plans will take into account the location of the reef and will avoid any damage to said underwater ecosystem

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Evenin' Spunk; I have a feeling whoever is going to damage the reef off-shore of George Town, GC is going to have to pay the piper. Speculation on my part, but I would think that these plans will take into account the location of the reef and will avoid any damage to said underwater ecosystem

I certainly hope so.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

I wonder if the pier will be able to handle 2 ships at a time?

For the last several years we have been there when another ship was there -- very crowded.

I seriously doubt they will build docking space for two at a time ships but ..  what do I know  ?  :rolleyes

As to crowded, HMC with two ships there ..    they often have   two ships in  now without a cruise ship size,   dock.......  What is the difference in that regard?

image.png.5fdbca1dd029def2d887557713b1b053.png

12 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Two ships  together at HMC and the beach, barbeque ,  bars are crowded.  Whether the ships dock or tender, it is the same  crowding, is it not?

image.png.160af85d41ec53ce46c9e3422047d3cb.png

LIKELY worse - as more passengers will disembark and in a quicker fashion!  Now we sometimes skip HMC as we do not want to bother with the tenders.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, sppunk said:

We stopped bothering to  leave the ship in  GC.  Nothing  there we cared enough about  to  bother with tendering so we stayed on the ship on GC  day.

image.png.cd4e889d69dbe4fe15db62b6168eb650.png

On 8/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, rafinmd said:

I just hope Dorian doesn't do too much to HMC.

Roy

I have been thinking  the same, Roy.  HMC has lost so much beach  from these awful storms through the years,  Whatever damage may be done to plantings and foliage will recover.      They cannot recover the many feet of beach that is lost.

image.png.730f0f6dce08cd052addd31e7af2aacd.png

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Proposed Cayman Port

There has been talk about dredging for a pier on Cayman for decades, with strong local opposition. I’ll be amazed if it ever happens.

On 8/3/2019 at 3:54 PM, bEwAbG said:

Hopefully this means more time in port, too.  I loved the cabana experience I had this year but having to pack up and get in line at only 2pm seemed cruel.  Then of course we stood in line forever and a day waiting for the tender.  The tender process puts a damper on almost all wonderful days.

Many of us forget to factor the amount of time needed to ready the ship to leave and especially the amount of sea time needed to return to FLL on time .  We tend to think HMC is closer than it actually is to FLL.

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Many of us forget to factor the amount of time needed to ready the ship to leave and especially the amount of sea time needed to return to FLL on time .  We tend to think HMC is closer than it actually is to FLL.

Of course, but if they need to leave by 4pm, they could have "all aboard" at 3:30pm with a dock.  Otherwise, you have to start lining up and waiting for tenders much earlier.

4 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Of course, but if they need to leave by 4pm, they could have "all aboard" at 3:30pm with a dock.  Otherwise, you have to start lining up and waiting for tenders much earlier.

Yes, of course,  however there is no large pier there now and who knows  if Carnival or HAL really plan to dredge and  build one.  or  how  long it might / could take    I doubt there are  many here who enjoy  the long line up  for  tendering but until  they 'MIght'   build a new dock  there are few viable choices in this matter  If they continue to take us to that slice of Paradise, it is the price we pay, at this time..  to line up and wait our turn for the tender  IMO, here are many worse things to 'suffer.'

.image.png.27600e5b4c2ee69a29d04cf4d5d524e2.png

sail.noodam@gmail.com

1 minute ago, sail7seas said:

Yes, of course,  however there is no large pier there now and who knows  if Carnival or HAL really plan to dredge and  build one.  or  how  long it might / could take    I doubt there are  many here who enjoy  the long line up  for  tendering but until  they 'MIght'   build a new dock  there are few viable choices in this matter  If they continue to take us to that slice of Paradise, it is the price we pay, at this time..  to line up and wait our turn for the tender  IMO, here are many worse things to 'suffer.'

This entire thread is about their plans to build a dock as part of the changes so I'm not sure why you're attempting to nitpick an opinion of my own experience and how a pier might improve it.  Do you have a larger point?  Of course I know it takes time to sail back to Florida.  That's not my issue.