Tahiti--Paul Gauguin or Windstar?

2mnycats

We sailed on the Pacific Princess many many years ago from Tahiti and loved the smaller boat atmosphere and had a truly amazing time. We want to go again in July, but see that only the Windstar and the Gauguin sail during that time. On my previous trip, I relied on this forum to plan the entire trip and it really made it wonderful. So here I am again, hoping someone can guide me (again) to making smart choices. We want a balcony, love scuba diving and snorkeling, and don't mind getting dressed up for dinner. This is a special occasion trip, so willing to pay for the experience. Thank you so much!

19 hours ago, 2mnycats said:

We sailed on the Pacific Princess many many years ago from Tahiti and loved the smaller boat atmosphere and had a truly amazing time. We want to go again in July, but see that only the Windstar and the Gauguin sail during that time. On my previous trip, I relied on this forum to plan the entire trip and it really made it wonderful. So here I am again, hoping someone can guide me (again) to making smart choices. We want a balcony, love scuba diving and snorkeling, and don't mind getting dressed up for dinner. This is a special occasion trip, so willing to pay for the experience. Thank you so much!

I have cruised both lines and each has it's charms. But for the quality of the dining experience, the romance of being on a 148 passenger sailing ship on the most gorgeous of itineraries, sports deck in back, and the beauty of the ship itself I'd choose Windstar regardless of lack of balconies. Know TBK has cruised many times with Paul Gaugain and loves it but would love to see him climb aboard Wind Spirit someday to see what he thinks. Wind Spirit stole our hearts in a way Paul Gaugain didn't come close to- we never looked back after WS.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I have cruised both lines and each has it's charms. But for the quality of the dining experience, the romance of being on a 148 passenger sailing ship on the most gorgeous of itineraries, sports deck in back, and the beauty of the ship itself I'd choose Windstar regardless of lack of balconies. Know TBK has cruised many times with Paul Gaugain and loves it but would love to see him climb aboard Wind Spirit someday to see what he thinks. Wind Spirit stole our hearts in a way Paul Gaugain didn't come close to- we never looked back after WS.

She wants a balcony so there was no need to go further ..... 

Windstar for me? Would I need to be concerned that the ship might run into a pier and needed to be fixed before taking on a new set of cruisers in Papeete  ...... 😎  

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Windstar for me? Would I need to be concerned that the ship might run into a pier and needed to be fixed before taking on a new set of cruisers in Papeete  ...... 😎  

PG has had some mechanical issues of it's own as you already are aware of. Friends of ours were on a PG cruise where the ship had to turn around after setting sail from BB. It sat for four days while PG waited for a tech from France. They got a 30% refund from PG for their troubles, but came home and booked WS for next year.

Unfortunately while neither ship shows it's age on the outside they are becoming aged on the internals.

Have a good weekend TBK 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

12 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Glad you didn't take what I said to seriously .... have a good weekend

You crack me up TBK. We are both walking advertisements for FP, PG and WS, right?

Kahuna....WS actually has some pretty decent deals for this fall. November an 11 day Tahiti and Tuamotus for $3500-  maybe the four of us should join each other if the staff on PG would permit you to jump ship.

Was in PR a month ago....stayed in a beautiful villa up on the top of hill out by Shandon with all my kids and grandkids. Thought of you and how fortunate you are to live in such a beautiful place!

One day we'll have to fuss at each other about who LIVES in the most perfect locale. Sending you a big hug!

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

13 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

You crack me up TBK. We are both walking advertisements for FP, PG and WS, right?

Kahuna....WS actually has some pretty decent deals for this fall. November an 11 day Tahiti and Tuamotus for $3500-  maybe the four of us should join each other if the staff on PG would permit you to jump ship.

Was in PR a month ago....stayed in a beautiful villa up on the top of hill out by Shandon with all my kids and grandkids. Thought of you and how fortunate you are to live in such a beautiful place!

One day we'll have to fuss at each other about who LIVES in the most perfect locale. Sending you a big hug!

Nancy

Always an open bedroom for a guest ..... I might even have a bottle of wine 🙂

View isn't to bad either  .... I grew up here, this is my home town.

On 8/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

On that topic, which balcony level would you recommend?

Also--are dive trips included in the cost?

17 minutes ago, 2mnycats said:

On that topic, which balcony level would you recommend?

Also--are dive trips included in the cost?

Depends on the itinerary and how motion effects you  ....

The more midships  the less movement. So  ..... if you are effected by movement you want to be midships. The deck isn't important unless you want a suite or a larger balcony. The verandas are nice as they are larger with more room to walk around easily though the standard D or C are just fine. Last year we were in a veranda .... next year were in a C.

If your itinerary has several sea days like the 11 - 17 night cruises it can be a bit more rocky. I like the rocking  ..... I sleep like a baby .....

Diving is extra .....

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1